X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMTNT
    Commander
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

The PARCHE's been done to death. Do the SEAWOLF as configured for those 'missions'.

David
    You mean Building 575 at Mare Island? Should I depict her broken down & tied-up pierside, out of service in drydock, or ingesting sediment into her coolant system and nearly getting stuck on the bottom of the Sea of Okhotsk?

-Brady
    (running for cover)
    Last edited by DMTNT; 01-13-2019, 07:16 PM.
    Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT

You mean Building 575 at Mare Island? Should I depict her broken down & tied-up pierside, out of service in drydock, or ingesting sediment into her coolant system and nearly getting stuck on the bottom of the Sea of Okhotsk?

-Brady
      (running for cover)
      The later.

True story: When I was a Launcher-Tech on the WEBSTER, during one of the nine patrol cycles I did on that boat, during turnover at the Guam operating base, this was in the early 70's, the SEAWOLF tied up right behind us, their stern to our bow. And right there, on the turtleback of this rather strange looking submarine was this nasty looking cylinder with D.S.R.V stenciled on its side. Even then I knew my ****, and knew that the thing was not a practical DSRV. As we all know now (and I didn't at the time) that was a habitat for saturation diver's. I also noted the lateral thrusters set into the superstructure for and aft. I just did not have time to think things through at the time as turnover between Gold and Blue crew is an intense couple of weeks, so I gave the SEAWOLF little though. Till later. Years later, as I qualified as a hard-hat Diver and settled into that community I began to hear hair-raising sea-stories about that boat. Wow! Just wow!

What in the hell was a sneaky-poo doing in Guam?

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
        Commander
        • Jun 2018

The later.

True story: When I was a Launcher-Tech on the WEBSTER, during one of the nine patrol cycles I did on that boat, during turnover at the Guam operating base, this was in the early 70's, the SEAWOLF tied up right behind us, their stern to our bow. And right there, on the turtleback of this rather strange looking submarine was this nasty looking cylinder with D.S.R.V stenciled on its side. Even then I knew my ****, and knew that the thing was not a practical DSRV. As we all know now (and I didn't at the time) that was a habitat for saturation diver's. I also noted the lateral thrusters set into the superstructure for and aft. I just did not have time to think things through at the time as turnover between Gold and Blue crew is an intense couple of weeks, so I gave the SEAWOLF little though. Till later. Years later, as I qualified as a hard-hat Diver and settled into that community I began to hear hair-raising sea-stories about that boat. Wow! Just wow!

What in the hell was a sneaky-poo doing in Guam?

David
        Simple. They were never there. You saw nothing. Go about your business.

I poke fun, but I do admire that old goat. She gave it everything she had and still got her crews home safe. Not much more you could ask from a ship.

-Brady

EDIT - Also, done to death??? I’ve seen ONE 1/96 Parche, and that was with the big nose. Beautiful job he did. I want photos of these many other Parches.

Last edited by DMTNT; 01-13-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• DMTNT
          Commander
          • Jun 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1262.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	129624

Dead Men Tell No Tales...

Comment

• DMTNT
            Commander
            • Jun 2018

Well... hell.

Two days ago, my Sub Driver suffered a casualty in the ballast tank servo. It sounded like the motor inside of it began to run-away, and when I finally got it sorted out, it had burned itself out. Simple enough, I figured. Got a new servo to put into its place, but for whatever reason, the repair didn't work out. Also, while trying to re-install it, I must have put the wrong screw back into the wrong side on the brass strap that holds the servo to the forward bulkhead of the aft dry space. To boot, for whatever reason, the servo no longer properly actuated the mechanism that vents the ballast tank.

So we're starting again. Only now, with the benefit of experience. There's more to the story that influenced my decision, but I put on my captain's hat and pulled the trigger. It's only money, right? I've disassembled the SD and there is a wealth of equipment that I can salvage, and put right back into use when I get my hands on its replacement. In the meantime, I'll clean up my workspace and get my things in order.

Honestly? I'm more than a little embarrassed. And my pride is a little bruised at the notion that I could **** up something as nicely built as an already-assembled Sub Driver. But, it has been a learning experience. Albeit an expensive one. I figured it was best to confess my sins here and then get back up on the horse.

Name:	standby.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	129743

We'll get her back online shortly. In the meantime... Standing by to stand by.

-Brady

Comment

• DMTNT
              Commander
              • Jun 2018

Does anyone happen to know if the Seawolf Class submarines have the zinc strips on the aft part of the hull? I've got contradicting information that says it both does, and doesn't.

Just curious if anyone here knows. Also... what is the purpose of those? Is it to keep the prop clean?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Does anyone happen to know if the Seawolf Class submarines have the zinc strips on the aft part of the hull? I've got contradicting information that says it both does, and doesn't.

Just curious if anyone here knows. Also... what is the purpose of those? Is it to keep the prop clean?
                Zincs are a passive means of preventing electrolysis between the steel and brass propeller. The zinc is sacrificed (ionized over time), serving as the anode point of the slight electrical current flowing from one metal to the other when immersed in salt-water. Look on the brass and steel as being the two plates in a salt-water electrolyte battery, and you get the big picture of what's going on.

An alternative to sacrificial zincs is an active means of prevents ionization of the submarines metal -- that is to measure the slight EMF naturally generated between the metal parts and to induce into the water a counter-current, of the same amplitude, to get the electrical potential between propeller and hull near zero.

As a Navy diver I did a lot of zinc survey and replacement work. Carriers were a complete ***** in that department.

I believe sacrificial zincs went out starting with the SEAWOLF class.

David
                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-23-2019, 08:51 PM.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                  Commander
                  • Jun 2018

Zincs are a passive means of preventing electrolysis between the steel and brass propeller. The zinc is sacrificed (ionized over time), serving as the anode point of the slight electrical current flowing from one metal to the other when immersed in salt-water. Look on the brass and steel as being the two plates in a salt-water electrolyte battery, and you get the big picture of what's going on.

An alternative to sacrificial zincs is an active means of prevents ionization of the submarines metal -- that is to measure the slight EMF naturally generated between the metal parts and to induce into the water a counter-current, of the same amplitude, to get the electrical potential between propeller and hull near zero.

As a Navy diver I did a lot of zinc survey and replacement work. Carriers were a complete ***** in that department.

I believe sacrificial zincs went out starting with the SEAWOLF class.

David
                  Well there you have it. Thanks David!

Comment

• DMTNT
                    Commander
                    • Jun 2018

Ok Mr. Meriman.... you've gone and pulled a sneaky on me. What the hell is all this?

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	129969

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	129970

I'm guessing you've made a MOD to the design and already incorporated a Y-harness for the vent servo / lpb motor? Also, now that I've got parts in hand, I would love to hear your thoughts on cramming all this **** into the aft dry space.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ok Mr. Meriman.... you've gone and pulled a sneaky on me. What the hell is all this?

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	129969

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	129970

I'm guessing you've made a MOD to the design and already incorporated a Y-harness for the vent servo / lpb motor? Also, now that I've got parts in hand, I would love to hear your thoughts on cramming all this **** into the aft dry space.
                      It's a Klystron relay.

Seriously, though...

… I've replaced the electronic switch that drives the LPB motor with a mechanical one -- specifically, a limit-switch. This eliminates the need for a Y-harness from the ch-4 port of your receiver. Now, just the ballast servo hooks up there and the servo driven limit-switch activates the LPB. Just make up the two bare wires to the battery cables and you're good to go.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                        Commander
                        • Jun 2018

It's a Klystron relay.

Seriously, though...

… I've replaced the electronic switch that drives the LPB motor with a mechanical one -- specifically, a limit-switch. This eliminates the need for a Y-harness from the ch-4 port of your receiver. Now, just the ballast servo hooks up there and the servo driven limit-switch activates the LPB. Just make up the two bare wires to the battery cables and you're good to go.

David
                        Gotcha. Stupid question, but which one is positive and which one is negative? They’re both white

Comment

• Aug 2008

Gotcha. Stupid question, but which one is positive and which one is negative? They’re both white
                          Don't matter: neither the switch or motor are polarized.

Duh!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                            Commander
                            • Jun 2018

I believe we have ourselves a submarine.

First all-up test with the new 2 inch U212 SubDriver and the boat in a fully connected, operational condition. Forward and after dry spaces came out of the water bone dry. Full range of motion on the control surfaces. Ballast system and emergency LOS backup system functioned perfectly. She is fast, too!

Next step is a dip in the swimming pool and seeing how she does in a bigger environment. Also need to figure out how to upload higher quality video to YouTube from my iPhone. Stay tuned.

Cheers, gentlemen.
                            Last edited by DMTNT; 02-09-2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Excellent! Congratulations Captain! I am not sure what iPhone you have, iPhone 5 and newer know when you hold the phone sideways (landscape) it will recognize that and keep it straight on up and down. In other words hold the phone sideways to get more of the sub.
                              That is a slick looking model. Makes me want to build one. Get paint on her and get her wet again!
                              Really excited for you!
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Bout time!

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...