1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

Very neat storage, I might be moving Long distance soon, so thinking I need something like that for packing.

Also so on the battery front , I had made up my own sets of Life batteries, with connections soldered on. Usually twinned to give me nominal 7volts. But if one cell was damaged it was a bugger to rework them. I’ve just bought new sets of 18650 and 14500 cells, together with battery holders, which are now available. I’ve hard wired the battery holders into the WTC and just pull the cells out for charging. Early days yet but seems a good solution.

a question, for the 2.5” cylinders I have a 2 cell holder and a single cell holder. What’s a good way to glue them together
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• type7
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2009

Wow, just noticed something. Putting connectors on the electronic switches! Makes them interchangeable. I have been putting the switches on the cylinders as I build them and I have a lot of cylinders and batteries! Really lowers the parts count.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by type7
          Wow, just noticed something. Putting connectors on the electronic switches! Makes them interchangeable. I have been putting the switches on the cylinders as I build them and I have a lot of cylinders and batteries! Really lowers the parts count.
          You betcha!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
              Commander
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Outstanding run. Congratulations, David!
              Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Looked good. In the beginning of the tape just before alarm went off, was that tilting side to side? Did you add a little more weight to the sub?
                peace,
                tom
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                  Looked good. In the beginning of the tape just before alarm went off, was that tilting side to side? Did you add a little more weight to the sub?
                  peace,
                  tom
                  The after propeller broached, with it's torque going to zero, the boat rolled because of the continuing torque of the forward propeller. Neat!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

I love this thing. What a great little boat. "Turning radius looks OK?" Are you nuts - that thing was turning in a few metres, just wonderful.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                      I love this thing. What a great little boat. "Turning radius looks OK?" Are you nuts - that thing was turning in a few metres, just wonderful.
                      LOL.

You did good, my friend. What a delightful little boat you came up with!

Still have to play with mixing ratios and control surface throws, but I've got the thing scared -- I'll have this pony broken eventually. Then it's on to the detailing, final prim, paint, and weathering.

Can't wait to introduce the Commie NOVEMBER to the guy's at the Lynnhaven Dive Center training pool!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

The thing is a battery hog, though. A fully charged 1500mAh Lithium-polymer battery was sucked down to only 60% after a half-hours play-time at the pool. As I don't have an installed Lipo-Guard or BLM (to safeguard the battery from going below its critical voltage), I have to play it very conservatively with the throttle and take time out for frequent battery changes. This beast will kill an unguarded battery if you're not careful.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Friction in the drive train?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by HardRock
                            I chuckled when David said that. That radius is good enough for a home sized pool! That was impressive.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I think you could squeeze in a pair of 18650's in the battery section, Dave. They go up to about 3Ah capacity, which would give you double the time. The name stands for the cell size 18mm diameter by 65mm length, in old money 0.7" diameter by 2.55" long. e.g. https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/1865...18650vtc6.html

Comment

• Albion
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                                I think you could squeeze in a pair of 18650's in the battery section, Dave. They go up to about 3Ah capacity, which would give you double the time. The name stands for the cell size 18mm diameter by 65mm length, in old money 0.7" diameter by 2.55" long. e.g. https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/1865...18650vtc6.html
                                Here’s one of my 2.5” cylinders with 3x 18650 up front. There’s a 2 cell holder and a single cell holder, total 11.1V , stated as 9900mah, even if the Chinese are flakey on their specs it’s still a hefty punch
                                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

Working...