• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by bwi 971

Free translation of a russian publication:

quote " it was possible to determine the ways of reducing hydrodynamic interference to the work of the SAC at high speeds, as well as to test new methods for calculating propellers (at different times, propellers of different designs were installed on the submarine) " unquote

and if we look at the below scetch it's not so unrealistic me think.

What I don't know is if they were tandem or contra-rotating props.

When built she was provided with a single 7 blade prop with actuator (It was not a highly skewed propellor).

So maybe she had different props during here lifetime but when she was scraped her original (or lookalike) prop was in place, see picture below.

Grtz,
    Bart Click image for larger version Name:	beluga.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	125674

Click image for larger version

Name:	beluga prop01.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	125676
    Thanks Mate. I have several different prop designs shown on the plans that I have and also several different photographs. This all makes more sense now.

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

So I spent most of yesterday casting up stern planes. What a mess. Each of those things is an individual casting and it took forever to get four sets of the dammed things done. Today I couldn't face going on with all that again so I decided to have a go at casting the entire rear end in one bit (like I should have done in the first place!!!)
      This nis the plug.

Its not finished yet but everything is in line and its fits nicely on the back of the boat. Advice on the best way to cast this thing would be appreciated. My initial thoughts are to cast the internal plug first, then cast the bottom half up to the forward edge of the control surfaces, then the top half. Three pieces in all.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
        So I spent most of yesterday casting up stern planes. What a mess. Each of those things is an individual casting and it took forever to get four sets of the dammed things done. Today I couldn't face going on with all that again so I decided to have a go at casting the entire rear end in one bit (like I should have done in the first place!!!)
        This nis the plug.

Its not finished yet but everything is in line and its fits nicely on the back of the boat. Advice on the best way to cast this thing would be appreciated. My initial thoughts are to cast the internal plug first, then cast the bottom half up to the forward edge of the control surfaces, then the top half. Three pieces in all.
        Exactly so, sir:

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-25-2018, 11:27 AM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971

Free translation of a russian publication:

quote " it was possible to determine the ways of reducing hydrodynamic interference to the work of the SAC at high speeds, as well as to test new methods for calculating propellers (at different times, propellers of different designs were installed on the submarine) " unquote

and if we look at the below scetch it's not so unrealistic me think.

What I don't know is if they were tandem or contra-rotating props.

When built she was provided with a single 7 blade prop with actuator (It was not a highly skewed propellor).

So maybe she had different props during here lifetime but when she was scraped her original (or lookalike) prop was in place, see picture below.

Grtz,
          Bart Click image for larger version Name:	beluga.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	125674

Name:	beluga prop01.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	125676
          Well, on that sketch we see a right hand propeller forward, and a left-hand propeller aft. Counter-rotating, not tandem turning. Net torque on the boat: zero!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Thanks. I'm on it.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

I just realised that the photograph didn't appear for some reason. Here it is.

Name:	P3250232.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	125733

Comment

• Aug 2008

I just realised that the photograph didn't appear for some reason. Here it is. Click image for larger version  Name:	P3250232.jpg Views:	1 Size:	447.8 KB ID:	125733
                No need for the stern control surface operating shafts to be so big in diameter. As the rudders and stern planes are protected by the fixed stabilizers, you can get away with control surface operating shafts of .062" or so.

The bigger diameter operating shafts weaken the tips of the stabilizers.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

They are actually a bit smaller than that. 1.5 mm. Its a pretty small tail. I've made up some brass inserts to go in the stabiliser tips. They have a hole for the operating shalf and should end up fully enclosed in resin.

Comment

• Aug 2008

They are actually a bit smaller than that. 1.5 mm. Its a pretty small tail. I've made up some brass inserts to go in the stabiliser tips. They have a hole for the operating shalf and should end up fully enclosed in resin.
                    Very well.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

The lower mould for the tail section is drying today so I decided to get on with painting my own boat.

Name:	P3270236.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	125744

Name:	P3270231.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	637.7 KB
ID:	125745

Name:	P3270233.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	541.3 KB
ID:	125746

The tail on this one won't be as good as the new, all in one job but its OK.

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

This rubber mould is taking forever to dry. In the mean time I amusing myself with with an airbrush.

Name:	P3290233.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	125758

Name:	P3290235.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	125759

Name:	P3290234.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	501.1 KB
ID:	125760

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

The lower mould has finally set hard. Thus:

Meanwhile the painting goes on.

Name:	P3300233.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	125766

Name:	P3300234.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	647.3 KB
ID:	125767

Comment

• Aug 2008

You lazy ****! sand off those 3D artifacts off the control surfaces!

You people: I buy you books, send you to school, and what do you do? .... you eat the teacher!

David
                            The Horrible
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

Ha ha. I actually cast a full set of control surfaces to send you because I knew you'd go ape-**** over the 3D items. I usually do sand them off but I like the look of them on this model. Lots of texture.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ha ha. I actually cast a full set of control surfaces to send you because I knew you'd go ape-**** over the 3D items. I usually do sand them off but I like the look of them on this model. Lots of texture.
                                Don't hand me that crap - a turd festooned with corn has 'texture' as well. But I don't want that hanging off the ass-end of my model submarine!

What's wrong with you people!

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...