Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Are those birds RC?, as for your gelcoat problem, it seems you had some airbubbles inside your mixture.
    Either de-gassing or gentle mixing will help, try to keep the mix as smooth as possible.
    Those hulls look good to me, better as my crude first attemp at the Ko-Hyoteki.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

R/C peacocks! What a concept; although if I had made them I would have removed their annoying habbit of walking past my window at dawn and HONKING at the top of thier lungs. I go home this morning at 0300 and they woke me 0500. Nice. I'll let the gell coat sit for a few minutes befoe use next time.

Comment

• HardRock
        Vice Admiral
        • Mar 2013

I'm getting close to finishing the tail section. If I had the skill and a vacume pot, I'd cast this whole tail section in one piece and eliminate all the messing around. But I don't, so I won't!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3160234.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	125621

Name:	P3160232.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	125622
        Attached Files

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Spent a few hours today adding safety lines and hand rails. I started with 1mm stainless stell rod but it looked too thick. This is .5mm brass - much better.

Name:	P3180235.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	580.7 KB
ID:	125647

Name:	P3180231.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	125648

Name:	P3180233.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	125649

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Oh, man! It looks fast just sitting there!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Sure does. I'm thinking of fitting a contra rotating prop system. Its not scale but can you imagine who fast that thing will go with TWO props?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I think without the contra-rotating props it will be an adrenaline rush! After making this accurate, your going to add an unrealistic detail? Why make things more difficult?
                I know it is your party and you can do what you want to.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I read, or saw a picture where this boat investigated the counter-rotating propellers.

As this is the Ruski ALBACORE, and pretty much followed the same testing in phases protocol, I find it difficult to believe that at some point in this experimental boats career, it did not have the 'mix-master' at the ass-end.

But, right now, don't get fancy. Go with the single wheel and get this dude into the drink.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

I ordered four 1.6mm ID wheel collars a few days ago. This is them. Making the yokes for the stern planes and upper and lower rudders.

Name:	P3190231.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	125655

Rear end madness!

Name:	P3190232.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	527.5 KB
ID:	125656

Comment

• Aug 2008

I was going to say something about how tight it is back there .... but decorum dictates otherwise.

Good looking work back there, pal. Will this thing take a 2.5 cylinder, and if so how long can it be to be practical -- want to produce as much ballast tank as is possible as these boats had a stupidly high freeboard in surface trim.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Hi Mate. Hope you are feeling better. I'm not sure about the SD yet. The shape of the hull is almost crying out for a hybrid 2"/2.5" set up. I'm thinking of a fat little 2.5" ballast tank in the middle with two sections of 2" at either end for the battery and electronics. On second thought, I'm going to send you set of hulls and you can work it out!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                          Hi Mate. Hope you are feeling better. I'm not sure about the SD yet. The shape of the hull is almost crying out for a hybrid 2"/2.5" set up. I'm thinking of a fat little 2.5" ballast tank in the middle with two sections of 2" at either end for the battery and electronics. On second thought, I'm going to send you set of hulls and you can work it out!
                          Well, how can I say no to such a generous offer, sir. This way I'll work out the exact floodable volume of the ballast tank before freezing the design.

Yes, Bob Martin has been trying to steer me in the direction of making 2.5/2-inch reducers for just the reason you suggested. This might be the project that makes that type SubDriver a reality. We'll see. And I'll forward along, in the same box, your ZULU SD.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by bwi 971
                            good Job sir.....interesting to see that you use peacock’s to keep you workspace tidy......are they barbie proof?

grtz,
                            Bart
                            They are - mainly because they taste like ****. The standard recipe for peacock is to place the whole bird in a large pot of boiling water with a large rock. Boil until the rock gets soft. Then discard the bird and eat the rock.

Comment

• bwi 971
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HardRock
                              Sure does. I'm thinking of fitting a contra rotating prop system. Its not scale but can you imagine who fast that thing will go with TWO props?
                              Originally posted by trout
                              I think without the contra-rotating props it will be an adrenaline rush! After making this accurate, your going to add an unrealistic detail? Why make things more difficult?
                              I know it is your party and you can do what you want to.
                              Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              I read, or saw a picture where this boat investigated the counter-rotating propellers.

As this is the Ruski ALBACORE, and pretty much followed the same testing in phases protocol, I find it difficult to believe that at some point in this experimental boats career, it did not have the 'mix-master' at the ass-end.

David
                              Free translation of a russian publication:

quote " it was possible to determine the ways of reducing hydrodynamic interference to the work of the SAC at high speeds, as well as to test new methods for calculating propellers (at different times, propellers of different designs were installed on the submarine) " unquote

and if we look at the below scetch it's not so unrealistic me think.

What I don't know is if they were tandem or contra-rotating props.

When built she was provided with a single 7 blade prop with actuator (It was not a highly skewed propellor).

So maybe she had different props during here lifetime but when she was scraped her original (or lookalike) prop was in place, see picture below.

Grtz,
                              Bart Click image for larger version  Name:	beluga.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	125674

Name:	beluga prop01.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	125676
                              Last edited by bwi 971; 03-20-2018, 04:58 PM. Reason: Added prop info @ scrapyard
                              Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                              "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

I'll have that Peacock pie please.....
                                Last edited by trout; 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM.
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...