Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Looks like it arrived in one piece - which is a bonus considering how far it travelled.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
      Looks like it arrived in one piece - which is a bonus considering how far it travelled.
      It was a top-notch packing job you did. Particularly that containment you provided to protect the tail cone stabilizers. I now have three of your kits, and the improvement in your work shows.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by trout
        is the rule that every Ounce is a cubic inch of ballast? If not what is the way you work the lift needed?
        Can't top the metric system when working with volume and weight. 1000ml of water equals 1000g of weight. Remember it's only displacement that matters when calculating ballast tanks, the mass of a material has no effect, although it affects other factors like stability and buoyancy below the waterline.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
          Is that really only 3.15 Oz? Nice craftsmanship!
          is the rule that every Ounce is a cubic inch of ballast? If not what is the way you work the lift needed?
          .55 ounce is the weight of one cubic inch of fresh water. But, here's how I do it -- correlating the specific gravity and weight of the material to the amount of fresh water it displaces:

Your establish how much water is displaced by the upper portions of the hull. That's done by weighing that portion (estimate, as you have to discount the below waterline portions in this case). The weight has to be corrected as to the density of the material; its specific gravity (the standard here is the weight of one ounce of fresh water). You simply multiply the materials specific gravity (usually a bit over one or slightly less than one) by the dry weight -- like you see on that scale. Corrected for material density you have the weight of water the above waterline portions of the hull displaces -- and that's the weight of water your boat needs to take on to get the boat to that magic 'neutral' buoyant condition. That last shot is checking the weight of water this particular SD contains within its ballast tank. Came out to nearly five-ounces. This will work for Scott's little BALUGA.

Sometimes fortune shines.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
            Captain
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            Look what I just got in the mail. Looks pretty slick, and I have a stock SD that will fit this thing and provide plenty of ballast water to get the beast up to designed waterline.

David
            Can you give the specs on that SD David, I will need one in the future.

grtz,
            Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• bwi 971
              Captain
              • Jan 2015

This is the finished boat. Add SD and some weight/foam for balance and off she goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040232 (1).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	125854
              I'm catching up on the forum, darn she looks good Scott.
              grtz,
              Bart

"Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971

Can you give the specs on that SD David, I will need one in the future.

grtz,
                Bart

It's a 2.5" diameter cylinder. Is it for Scott's little BALUGA? If so I can put one together quick and get it off to you. If it's for another boat I need to know the maximum length of cylinder I can get into that boat and how many ounces of water the ballast tank has to hold. I'll take it from there. I assume you need a single-shaft version?

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2015

It's a 2.5" diameter cylinder. Is it for Scott's little BALUGA? If so I can put one together quick and get it off to you. If it's for another boat I need to know the maximum length of cylinder I can get into that boat and how many ounces of water the ballast tank has to hold. I'll take it from there. I assume you need a single-shaft version?

David

Yes it's for Scott's lovely BELUGA....no way around....I have to squeeze her assembly in.

grtz,
                  Bart

"Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes it's for Scott's lovely BELUGA....no way around....I have to squeeze her assembly in.

grtz,
                    Bart
                    Good. I'll get two birds with one stone -- I'll put together both yours and Scott's SD's this week. E-mail me your shipping address.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

After some thinking (gasp!) I switched the BALUGA cylinder from a 2.5 to a 2-inch diameter unit. It gives me the length to produce a ballast tank of nearly twice the capacity needed to get this model up to designed waterline. And the smaller diameter presents little of the ballast tank above designed waterline, so not much wasted buoyancy with the smaller diameter system. I've already cut cylinders and have sized the bulkhead for three units. One for Scott, one for Bart, and one for me.

David
                      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-11-2018, 11:57 PM.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

The Three Musketeers? Wait a minute; I don't think there was much thinking going on with those guys. The Three Amigos? Nah, Bart will think that an amigo is some kind of tropical fruit. I have it; the Three Grumpy (Old) Farts. Bart can join now and add the "Old" when he gets his quals finished.

Comment

• Aug 2008

The Three Musketeers? Wait a minute; I don't think there was much thinking going on with those guys. The Three Amigos? Nah, Bart will think that an amigo is some kind of tropical fruit. I have it; the Three Grumpy (Old) Farts. Bart can join now and add the "Old" when he gets his quals finished.
                          (in the voice of an action-movie announcer) Their hell fed evilness spread equally across the globe! There is no escaping them! Their objective: WORLD DOMINATION! (cue the Imperial March theme).

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2015

(in the voice of an action-movie announcer) Their hell fed evilness spread equally across the globe! There is no escaping them! Their objective: WORLD DOMINATION! (cue the Imperial March theme).
                            David
                            mmmmm......how about The Good, the Bad and the Ugly then.......

Grtz
                            Ugly
                            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

mmmmm......how about The Good, the Bad and the Ugly then.......

Grtz
                              Ugly
                              ... dibs on 'the Good'.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm working up the little SD's for you, me and Bart. While doing that I had a brain stroke ... er .... brain storm: replace the low pressure blower (LPB) electronic switch with a mechanical one working off the ballast sub-system servo? Cheaper, easier, and frees up a receiver output port.

As you can see, the same limit-switch support is applicable to the entire range of SD sizes:

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...