X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

1/72 November?

Sadly a few weeks ago had to put my 91 year old mom in a nursing home. Have some time and some blue foam to scratch out a 1/72 November molds. Any interest in that boat and some kits? Don has the Golf II molds so if you guys want a Golf kit rattle Don's cage.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Sorry about your Mom.

NOVEMBER is a historically important boat. Yes!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tirfing
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jan 2017

Building a November is a wonderful idea. A submarine much wished for, (was that correct English?).

Tirfing

Comment

• 598602G
        Captain
        • Jan 2017

Sounds like proper English to me. I know a few guys are going to beat me up not making the November in 1/96 but O well. What I am going to do is make a split mold so I can make the front hull and stern separate. That way it will be easier and cheaper to make and ship. November will be 62 1/4" long with a 5" beam.

Comment

• Tirfing
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2017

Dividing the hull the way you are indicationg is probably a very wise idea. Mr Jaan Krak of Holland made his hull in a similar way.
          Maybe you have already seen this?

submarine, model, RC, dutch, onderzeeboot, duikboot,u-boot, uboot, nederlands, HMBV, marine museum, navy, modelbouw, niederlande, modelbouw, modell, schiff, RC-submarines, zwaardvis, tijgerhaai, walrus, bruinvis, dolfijn, zeeleeuw, zeehond, tonijn, potvis, guppy

WBR
          Tirfing

Comment

• Tirfing
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jan 2017

Guys. Allow me to finish my evening by publishing a Picture i found on the net of a November (probably in scale 1/100) taking part in a junior challenge. Click image for larger version

Name:	627-November-160710.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	121728

Comment

• Tirfing
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jan 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	627-November III-160710.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	121730

And Another one....

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by 598602G
                Sounds like proper English to me. I know a few guys are going to beat me up not making the November in 1/96 but O well. What I am going to do is make a split mold so I can make the front hull and stern separate. That way it will be easier and cheaper to make and ship. November will be 62 1/4" long with a 5" beam.
                1/72? Seriously? After all we've been through together? FIVE feet long? Have you lost the balance of your mind Mate?

Comment

• 598602G
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2017

Scott look how cute the little 1/100 November looks in the pic above. You can barely see it

Comment

• 598602G
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2017

OK mate you get your wish. I did the math and at 1/96 the November comes in at 46 3/4" length. It will be much easier and cheaper for me to do it in 1/96. I have to go to post office today so I will see if I can ship a 6'x6'x48' box down under.

Comment

• Tirfing
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jan 2017

In 1/96 it will be a thin boat. However as Zulu survives in 1/96 November should. However, dividing the hull the way you proposed can do the job of shortening a package.

Comment

• 598602G
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2017

More work to do a split mold. For you guys that live half way around the world I can always cut the stern and shorten box. Think guys is US would rather have a 2 piece hull instead of a 4 piece. I can make the hulls thick or thin.

Comment

• Tirfing
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Jan 2017

You probably mean that the US builders want a divided hull with an overside and an underside. Yes I can accept to get a 4 part hull. Then with a somewhat thicker hull.

Comment

• 598602G
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2017

Here are the drawings I am using. Got those out of a Russian warship magazine. 46 3/4" length. 3 1/2" beam. I will make the hulls as thick as I feel that everyone will be happy. Not going to custom make various thickness hulls. Won't happen. Everyone that has bought my boats in the past were happy with the thickness. This boat I will not make any of the resin cast pieces for the masts. I am on a time crunch here to get boat done as I may have to sell house for my moms care in a nursing home.

Comment

• 598602G
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2017

Here is the secret in how I make my hull pugs so fast. I glue 2 lengths of 3" blue foam together. Then I take some .060 abs sheet plastic and make the shape of the hull. Then I 3M 77 the sanding templates fore and aft then I start shaping. I use 4 sections of foam for the hull. 2 in the middle, bow and stern. When I have all the hull sections sanded to shape I glue them all together using the center line of the 2 sheets of foam a glued together. Then I glass the hull using a couple of layers and cloth. Fill and sand hull,primer paint and scribe detail.

Comment

Working...