German type xxiii 1/72 or 1/32

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

An update on the SubDriver (SD) and 1/72 Type-23 model submarine it’s going into:

Since my last post I’ve indexed the SD within the hull; worked out the running gear between SD motor and propeller; and developing the linkages needed to position the stern planes and rudder.

One major improvement, that has taken some time and ingenuity, during hull assembly, has been the incorporation of six practical limber hole/hand-grabs atop the diesel muffler fairing astern of the sail. As represented on the stock kit they are very shallow indentations – an artifact of the injection molding process, where sunken features cannot be adequately represented on tool cavities of deep draft.

Here you can see how I’ve dug open the oval openings and inserted a length of styrene square stock to form the hand-grabs that make these six limber holes unique from those on the hull and sail.

A single indexing pin within the hull engages a hole at the bottom of the SD’s ballast tank. This prevents any fore, aft, and rolling of the SD within the models hull. Without the pin it would be a constant battle adjusting the linkages as the SD slide within the hull. That done I addressed the running of the linkages pushrods to the control surfaces; and a preliminary look at how I would arrange the running gear.

I’ve denoted the main spaces within this little 1.25” diameter SD. Of note is how I employed magnets to translate the motion of the internal servo output arms to the external pushrods. The ballast vent, rudder, and stern planes are positioned as a consequence of magnet motion atop the servo box.

The servo box contains little, slightly modified linear motion servos (the kind used in those light weight indoor flying model aircraft). The shuttle/bell-crank of each servo has attached to it a magnet that is positioned under a thin fiberglass box-top. It’s the magnetic attraction between the inner and outer set of magnets that accomplishes the task of linking the internal (dry) magnet to the outer (wet) magnet, thus eliminating the need for any traditional pushrod seals.

Illustrated below is an old-style arrangement. Today the toggle mission-switch has been replaced by a magnetically actuated electronic switch located in the forward dry space of the SD. Other than that, the servo box on the Type-23 SD is pretty much the same arrangement.

The right-angle bends at the forward ends of the pushrods are there to permit fine adjustments of pushrod length during set-up. The rudder pushrod runs through the hollow rudder upper skeg, and the stern plane pushrod is directed low engage that control surfaces bell-crank.

I was getting cute here: trying to keep the rudder linkage hidden within the upper skeg section of hull. No small feat on a model submarine this small.

This may, or may not work. My inspiration here is the magnificent work of Tom Chalfant and Manfred Reusing. Two masters of making very small r/c submarines work in a credible fashion. I blame both for this little slice of insanity!

Specifically I’m investigating the viability of using a magnet engaging an iron bell-crank element atop the rudders operating shaft as the means of translating the longitudinal motion of the pushrod to a rotation of the rudder. Unfortunately the short moment arm and relatively weak magnetic ‘pull’ may not be enough here to hold up against the propeller flow forces acting on the rudder. If this does not pan out during ‘sea trials’ I go old-school and run an external bell-crank to the rudder with a hard-and-fast mechanical union between externally running pushrod and bell-crank. We’ll see.

The stern planes are also connected through a magnet working an iron piece incorporated within the stern plane bell-crank.

The little magnet engages an iron bell-crank. It’s as simple as that. I cut away a bit of the upper skeg to get access to the rudder bell-crank, but once I’m happy with the linkage I’ll permanently attach the removed piece and fair it in. In the event I find it better to go with a traditional hook-up between pushrod and rudder bell-crank I’ll simply pull the magnet equipped pushrod and replace it with a pushrod that will run externally to the rudder. Always have a fall-back position when drying something new.

Hopefully this mock-up will demonstrate to you how the magnets are used to connect the linkages in an almost non-kickback fashion.

I found that I only had room for a 13” long SD for this model. Just long enough to provide a ballast tank with enough floodable volume to produce the buoyancy needed to get the model up to designed waterline.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
      Commander
      • Dec 2011

He Who Shall Not Be Named

Dave:

this is as always amazing work! Keep me posted on when you think the SD is all up to your liking as i still have money set aside for one. I cant wait to start this build myself! Thanks again for all your hard work
      ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• small sub guy
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Dec 2009

I too have this boat on my project list. I want to share the linear servo I stumbled across.
        The VS-19 Pico Linear Servo is a tiny linear actuator with 2cm of travel. The uses for this linear motor are endless, we'll leave it to you to find a killer application for it.

three of them fit in the servo box of your 1.25 dia sub driver without modification. The only draw back is that they operate on 3.7 volts and require a small board to drop the voltage (assembly required).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	126769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	126770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	126771
        I put a block under them to raise them up so it could be viewed better

sorry to have hijacked the thread

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by small sub guy
          I too have this boat on my project list. I want to share the linear servo I stumbled across.
          The VS-19 Pico Linear Servo is a tiny linear actuator with 2cm of travel. The uses for this linear motor are endless, we'll leave it to you to find a killer application for it.

three of them fit in the servo box of your 1.25 dia sub driver without modification. The only draw back is that they operate on 3.7 volts and require a small board to drop the voltage (assembly required).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	126769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	126770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	126771
          I put a block under them to raise them up so it could be viewed better

sorry to have hijacked the thread
          Hijack the threadd?!…

Are you crazy? You've just made a major contribution to the effort. Those servos are fantastic.

Post at will, pal!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
            Commander
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Hijack the threadd?!…

Are you crazy? You've just made a major contribution to the effort. Those servos are fantastic.

Post at will, pal!

David
            Hey Dave! Hope all is well. Figured id give you a month and then check in to see how the progress on the drive is going. No rush but im still excited to get this in my hands some day:)

thanks again for your hard work!

... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• matthewnimmo
              Commander
              • Dec 2011

Hey David! Hope all is well with you. I wanted to drop a line to see if youve had anymore time for progress on this SD? Hope to hear back soon and thanks again i know you are busy

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by matthewnimmo

Hey David! Hope all is well with you. I wanted to drop a line to see if youve had anymore time for progress on this SD? Hope to hear back soon and thanks again i know you are busy
                Sorry about the absence, I've been down with the flu the last couple of weeks. Slowly getting back on my feet. Close on completion of your job, but other work gets in the way. I've cancelled two events to catch up on work, so …. not long I hope.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Get well soon sir.
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                    Commander
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Sorry about the absence, I've been down with the flu the last couple of weeks. Slowly getting back on my feet. Close on completion of your job, but other work gets in the way. I've cancelled two events to catch up on work, so …. not long I hope.

David
                    Hey David, I figured Id give you a few months and then checkin. Sorry that you were not well, i hope that has changed. Anyhow, definitely no rush or pressure but i thought id check in as im still very excited to get my hands on this drive:)

thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                      Lieutenant
                      • Nov 2018

I am building the 1/35 scale Bronco Type XXIII, and in my opinion its a perfect size boat. Plus there are WTCs readily available to fit that particular Kit. In my experience, going smaller, makes a very hard build, for a meager return. Tiny boats get lost on a pond. So unless your intention is to run only in a swimming pool or fish tank.... Go with the 1/35 scale boat.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                        Commander
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stephen Vick
                        I am building the 1/35 scale Bronco Type XXIII, and in my opinion its a perfect size boat. Plus there are WTCs readily available to fit that particular Kit. In my experience, going smaller, makes a very hard build, for a meager return. Tiny boats get lost on a pond. So unless your intention is to run only in a swimming pool or fish tank.... Go with the 1/35 scale boat.
                        Thanks for the feedback, but ive already committed to the 1/72 scale back 2017. Ive got a large scale gato already that i do enjoy but to take that big guy around can be a little much, so im definitely wanting the small scale this time

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                          Commander
                          • Dec 2011

He Who Shall Not Be Named I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Dave, i know you are a busy man. No pressure here but I was hoping to hear something from you soon perhaps? Is this still in the works? Id still like to get my hands on this unit. Anyhow, if its been cancelled or something else just let me know so i can change my expectations. I really hope you can finish it though:)

thanks again!

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                            Commander
                            • Dec 2011

Weve been packing past month as my wife and I are building a new home. My hope is once we get in and settled ill have some new space to work on this. I know there are aome steps i can take before i get the SD so im hoping to start those steps in march april time frame when we get this unpacked. David, anymore news on the SD? I tried emailing you as well but not sure if i have an updated email or not. Hopefully im not bugging you too much

thanks again. I hope to be building soon again

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by matthewnimmo
                              Weve been packing past month as my wife and I are building a new home. My hope is once we get in and settled ill have some new space to work on this. I know there are aome steps i can take before i get the SD so im hoping to start those steps in march april time frame when we get this unpacked. David, anymore news on the SD? I tried emailing you as well but not sure if i have an updated email or not. Hopefully im not bugging you too much

thanks again. I hope to be building soon again
                              Not at all, Matt. I'm way past due on an update. I've altered the means of running the conduit that connects the fore and after areas of the SD -- new parts permits easy removal of the forward ballast tank bulkhead and conduit to permit easy and quick tank access or alteration to a bigger or smaller volume, based on initial trim trials. I'll get some pictures on that work posted this week.

Thanks for hanging in there, pal. And good luck with the new place. I well know how nerve wracking that exercise is!

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I have retrofitted conduit seals -- these permit quick break-down of the ballast tank section from the surrounding cylinder without breaking any glue unions. All friction fit through tightly fitting encapsulated O-rings.

Now I install the new, smaller gauge, wiring needed to make room for some devices that were just too mashed up inside these little cylinders.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...