Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by matthewnimmo

Wow, so double the price of the dynamic version is what we are thinking? Would it be more cost effective to go the 1/32 scale range then? The 1/32 (bronco type 23) just uses the single shaft 2.5" right? No customization to that WTC? As of right now i can get the 1/72 model for about $50 or i can purchase the 1/32 model for $90

I just liked the size of the smaller option.
    I agree, go with the 1/35 kit -- more bang for the buck. A standard 2.5" SD will do the trick.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

You won't like the size of the 1.5" packing everything into it! The 1/35 scale is a wonderful sub and plenty of room in the sub-driver.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
        Commander
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I agree, go with the 1/35 kit -- more bang for the buck. A standard 2.5" SD will do the trick.

David
        Now im slightly confused (easily done these days). I go to the shop and look at the single shaft 2.5" SD option for $270 and its the easy dive system which doesnt even have a ballast tank. Which SD option would i need for 1/35 kit?
        ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Warpatroller
          Lieutenant
          • Dec 2012

Now im slightly confused (easily done these days). I go to the shop and look at the single shaft 2.5" SD option for $270 and its the easy dive system which doesnt even have a ballast tank. Which SD option would i need for 1/35 kit?
          You want the 1/96 2.5" single shaft Sub-Driver $520. You will also need the Bronco XXIII fittings kit $120. Last time I saw Bob's listing for the Bronco model kit, he had it marked as 1/72 scale (it is 1/35). Lastly, if you plan to put this thing in a deep lake or pond with murky water, get the gas backup cylinder accessory $75. It will help protect it from resting in a watery grave.

I wouldn't bother with the 1/72, unless you're just interested in a tiny pool toy. I have two of the Bronco models so I know a little bit about them.. I'd kind of like to get mine in the water before 75 MHz is banned from RC use.. I am attempting to clear **** out of my garage in preparation for the dreaded horizontal hull cuts..
          Last edited by Warpatroller; 03-14-2017, 02:00 AM.
          "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• matthewnimmo
            Commander
            • Dec 2011

Thanks guys for all your help. Im getting closer toa decision. But a few more things to cover if you all dont mind?

yesterday i was thinking that building the bronco would be less expensive in the long run but im finding that even with a custom SD for the 1/72 model the bronco will be well more expensive to build

im actually looking/curious with the smaller version but was willing to settle on the bronco if it was going to save me some cash in the long run. Still considering it though. Ive got that big gato and the bronco isn't much smaller than it. Maybe a foot or so less?

so kind of curious on building a smaller one that i can easily travel with, but i have a few more questions

1) i dont have a pool but the bodies of water i take my gato on are about the size of a large pond. There is a small current, one can hardly notice it. Especially in the swimming area where i run my model. With that said, is there a reason why I couldn't run a 1/72 there?

2). My transmitter is capable of 75 or 72mhz. What rx would i need for the 1/72 version?

3). No fittings kits available for the 1/72 so i would just makee the resin pieces work yes?

4). Lastly, for Dave/Bob where can i get an official quote for the custom SD for the 1/72 ?

thanks again everyone!
            ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

I'll get with Dave on the SD for you. In my opinion (not that you asked for it, of course), the 1/35 boat is the way to go, hands-down. Being forced to work on a boat of tiny scale is my own personal definition of hell...

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                Commander
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by SubHuman
                I'll get with Dave on the SD for you. In my opinion (not that you asked for it, of course), the 1/35 boat is the way to go, hands-down. Being forced to work on a boat of tiny scale is my own personal definition of hell...
                Thanks again for putting together the quote. Im welcome to all thoughts and opinions, no worries there:). Just trying to weigh measure my options. I spent quite a bit on my gato a few years back and im wanting to keep it in check this go around, but i do want to be able to enjoy whatever i build. Any particular reason why the smaller models are your personal hell? Is it just preference or is there more to it?

anyones else able to answer my other questions above?

thanks again in advance,

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

Confirmed that we can do $395 on the micro-cylinder for you (or anyone else wanting one). Static diving version, as discussed.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                    Commander
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by SubHuman
                    Confirmed that we can do $395 on the micro-cylinder for you (or anyone else wanting one). Static diving version, as discussed.
                    Thank you good sir! Now ill consider that along with all my other questions and see what i decide

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                      Commander
                      • Dec 2011

Hey guys, probably against sane reasoning ive decided to go with the 1/72 model. The big deciding factor was i like the german type 23 model a lot but wanted something small in scale and i wanted to keep the price at a minimum but still get something i would enjoy

so, ill be starting a new yhread soon going through the build process. I hope you guys may help me through my silly questions as they come up. Such as this will be my first sub without using a fittings kit since i dont see one listed and with the gato i at least had the instructions on dvd that guided me through

thanks everyone for help

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Hey guys, probably against sane reasoning ive decided to go with the 1/72 model. The big deciding factor was i like the german type 23 model a lot but wanted something small in scale and i wanted to keep the price at a minimum but still get something i would enjoy

so, ill be starting a new yhread soon going through the build process. I hope you guys may help me through my silly questions as they come up. Such as this will be my first sub without using a fittings kit since i dont see one listed and with the gato i at least had the instructions on dvd that guided me through

thanks everyone for help
                        OK, I'll start in on your unit. And I'll build up two at the same time. One for you, one for me. That way I'll be rock-solid as to how big to make your ballast tank.

David.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

I hope you guys may help me through my silly questions as they come up.
                          No way, you didn't go with the 1/35th scale so, you are on your own. In fact, if I run into you, I will give you a kick in the shin. I crack myself up. You should know by now that we are all here to help you!

As a side note, how is the Gato running?
                          Last edited by trout; 03-16-2017, 04:49 PM.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                            Commander
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

OK, I'll start in on your unit. And I'll build up two at the same time. One for you, one for me. That way I'll be rock-solid as to how big to make your ballast tank.

David.
                            That is awesome! Thanks for doing that David! Itll be about 4 months of saving to buy the SD unit, but it'll be worth it in the end

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                              Commander
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by trout
                              No way, you didn't go with the 1/35th scale so, you are on your own. In fact, if I run into you, I will give you a kick in the shin. I crack myself up. You should know by now that we are all here to help you!

As a side note, how is the Gato running?
                              Lol thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate you guys. Gato runs like a champ still. I really do need to post up some videos of it running. I do need to redo the lights some. Going to put some resistors in for each light or else ill burn them up if i keep them on for too long at a time. The deisel sound i put in it is awesome but does get drowned out some with the SD motors

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                                Commander
                                • Dec 2011

Quick question for you all. will this prop work on the alanger German type xxiii 1/72?

Comment

Working...