X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewnimmo
    Commander
    • Dec 2011

German type xxiii 1/72 or 1/32

Been a while guys. Im getting the itch to build again. Im pretty settled on this model (was originally thinking the disney nautilus but i changed my mind). Im kind of leaning towards the smaller version. However im curious to see what kind of WTC i can use? I saw some yhreads back in 2010 with using 1.25 inch with a snort system, but when i luck up the 1.25 in the shop it has it setup for a dynamic diver only?

thoughts here. I guess with either version (1/72 or 1/32)

thanks again,
    ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The wandering son returns!

Bob can fix you up with a 'special' static diving type 1.25 SD if the price is right.

Here's a video of that might be useful to you: https://youtu.be/Lu6x3vI2Yek

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
      Commander
      • Dec 2011

Awesome! Yeah, feels good to be back on the forums again. So, If i chose the 1/72 path i could get a WTC setup as a static diver ... nice. I don't see any linkages for any control arms for turning/diving and such. I guess that would be part of the custom setup with the WTC? Also, i don't see any fitting kits for this either; but im seeing in these pictures you've used some rubber hoses to make a lot of the connections.

Thanks again for the quick reply David!

EDIT: I just saw the video. I see how you guys did the linkages now....that's pretty cool.
      Last edited by matthewnimmo; 03-12-2017, 03:00 PM.
      ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by matthewnimmo
        Awesome! Yeah, feels good to be back on the forums again. So, If i chose the 1/72 path i could get a WTC setup as a static diver ... nice. I don't see any linkages for any control arms for turning/diving and such. I guess that would be part of the custom setup with the WTC? Also, i don't see any fitting kits for this either; but im seeing in these pictures you've used some rubber hoses to make a lot of the connections.

Thanks again for the quick reply David!

EDIT: I just saw the video. I see how you guys did the linkages now....that's pretty cool.
        Magnets are our friends!

At 1/72 a Type-21 would take a 2.5" SD easy. And with the high freeboard of that design, the GATO SD might be a near perfect fit.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• sam reichart
          Ensign
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Magnets are our friends!

At 1/72 a Type-21 would take a 2.5" SD easy. And with the high freeboard of that design, the GATO SD might be a near perfect fit.

David
          David- He mentioned a Type XXIII in the first post...so single screw, right?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh, ****! I'm a dumb-ass. You're right, Sam. He indicated Type-23. Then, yeah, 1.25" SD is the way to go. Here are some shots of what that arrangement would look like:

And here's a movie of the little Monogram SKIPJACK tearing it up using a dynamic type SD: https://youtu.be/4Vk3n3qXOso https://youtu.be/3m9EdSLo6SM

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
              Commander
              • Dec 2011

Awesome, do you guys know roughly how much a 1.25" configured for type 23 will cost me (static diver. Not dynamic). David, think you mentioned bob would be able to answer that? Ill have to save up but wanting to know what that amount would be

thanks again guys!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Awesome, do you guys know roughly how much a 1.25" configured for type 23 will cost me (static diver. Not dynamic). David, think you mentioned bob would be able to answer that? Ill have to save up but wanting to know what that amount would be

thanks again guys!
                Mr. Martin is my Boss. I'm his vendor (one of many). He and I will do our magic and he'll let you know.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

Stock price is $195 for the 1.25" cylinder. Provided the standard unit set up for the 1:230 Skipjack will work in your XXIII, I have it in stock and ready to rock. Dave, if something needs to be different, get with me and we'll work up pricing and info.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
                    Stock price is $195 for the 1.25" cylinder. Provided the standard unit set up for the 1:230 Skipjack will work in your XXIII, I have it in stock and ready to rock. Dave, if something needs to be different, get with me and we'll work up pricing and info.
                    No, that's all he needs, Boss. Just outfit that SD with the devices, trim the boat so that just 1/4" of sail sticks out of the water, and this guys good to go.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                      Commander
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by SubHuman
                      Maybe i miss read the stock item on the site. I thought it was only configured as a dynamic diver? I was looking to have my type 23 be a static diver with the snort setup. Would the wtc need to be configred differently for that type of setup? Snort, ballast section of th wtc properly measured off for the holes underneath and water displacement for the type 23?

thanks again!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Maybe i miss read the stock item on the site. I thought it was only configured as a dynamic diver? I was looking to have my type 23 be a static diver with the snort setup. Would the wtc need to be configred differently for that type of setup? Snort, ballast section of th wtc properly measured off for the holes underneath and water displacement for the type 23?

thanks again!
                        Bob was giving you a snap-shot of what 1.25" SD's he has in stock. The static type SD is a custom order.

To size the ballast tank do this for me: tack-glue the model together with just those items that will fit topside attached. Stick it in the water, flood the entire hull then rubber band some weight under the model till it is close to neutrally buoyant (should not need any as styrene has a specific gravity close to 1) -- make sure all bubbles are out of the hull and sail. Rubber band square hunks of foam either side of the hull and adjust the amount of foam till the boat floats at designed waterline trim. Give me the total volume of the foam and I'll take the ball from there. The 23's had a very low freeboard, so there won't be much ballast tank required.

It's up to you to purchase install and adjust all the servos an other devices. Snort only, so this is for pool use only. Not deep, open water.

Hope you like to solder! The microbe-sized servos need their mounting lugs removed and the lost PC runs re-established by soldered jumpers -- exacting work.

David
                        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-13-2017, 01:52 PM.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                          Commander
                          • Dec 2011

So, i would need a custom order static SD for my static type 23 project yes? If so, ball park how much would i need to save up?

then when i get it, to determine the ballast tank size go through the instructions with the foam. Lastly, ill have to do some custom soldering with the micro servoes?

just making sure I understood this all:)

thanks again

Comment

• Aug 2008

So, i would need a custom order static SD for my static type 23 project yes? If so, ball park how much would i need to save up?

then when i get it, to determine the ballast tank size go through the instructions with the foam. Lastly, ill have to do some custom soldering with the micro servoes?

just making sure I understood this all:)

thanks again
                            No, you do the foam trick now, nothing in the hull. I would imagine the retail for the static type SD would be in the $400.00 range.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                              Commander
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

No, you do the foam trick now, nothing in the hull. I would imagine the retail for the static type SD would be in the $400.00 range.

David
                              Wow, so double the price of the dynamic version is what we are thinking? Would it be more cost effective to go the 1/32 scale range then? The 1/32 (bronco type 23) just uses the single shaft 2.5" right? No customization to that WTC? As of right now i can get the 1/72 model for about $50 or i can purchase the 1/32 model for $90

I just liked the size of the smaller option.

Comment

Working...