Views:	250
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	123714

Comment

• SSN687
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Nov 2015

10 October 2017 PM

The Y let me use the outside pool to start learning how to drive the Blueback. Made a couple of laps and cannot maintain depth at all, just like a real nonqual on them helm for the first time. I think I like using the fairwater planes for depth control more than the stern plans. It doesn’t take much to go into a divergent cycle of depth control. Just as I was changing the batteries to a fresh set, the air pump quit on me. Packed it up and headed home for trouble shooting. I found another air motor. I swapped the controller out and everything is good. Back to the Y early in the morning for more test driving. I would like to be able to drive it like I knew what I was doing but that may not happen before Friday. Still on sea trails trying to get it ready to go to City Lake this weekend.

Ernie

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSN687
            10 October 2017 PM

The Y let me use the outside pool to start learning how to drive the Blueback. Made a couple of laps and cannot maintain depth at all, just like a real nonqual on them helm for the first time. I think I like using the fairwater planes for depth control more than the stern plans. It doesn’t take much to go into a divergent cycle of depth control. Just as I was changing the batteries to a fresh set, the air pump quit on me. Packed it up and headed home for trouble shooting. I found another air motor. I swapped the controller out and everything is good. Back to the Y early in the morning for more test driving. I would like to be able to drive it like I knew what I was doing but that may not happen before Friday. Still on sea trails trying to get it ready to go to City Lake this weekend.

Ernie
            You do have an angle-keeper in that boat, right? If so, is it trimmed with just the top of the sail sticking out of the water in submerged trim?

Always observe the switch-on protocol: Transmitter on first, then the SD. And wait a good ten-seconds before wiggling the transmitter sticks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	123717

Your original LPB-MPC are likely OK. Sometimes, if you wiggle the transmitter sticks before the SD has time for all the devices to 'initialize', the ballast sub-system will be locked out. Did the ballast servo still work when you had the initial LPB not working issue? The SD's go out of here certified for proper operation of the propulsion and ballast sub-systems. If you can give me details at City Lake, that would be most useful.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSN687
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Nov 2015

11 October 2017 AM

David
              I do have a UPC-1, not installed yet. I hooked the UPC-1 in series with the stern plane servo and wiggled it around. It seems to resist change in any angle direction. Not sure how to how to mount it, thin side perpendicular & horizontal or thin side flat & parallel.
              Do I need to register with anyone for this event at City Lake?

Ernie
              Last edited by SSN687; 10-11-2017, 07:36 AM. Reason: because

Comment

• SSN687
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Nov 2015

What is the best way to run the red outside antenna on the WTC, coiled in a circle or a single wire along the outside of the WTC?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

You'll want it stretched out as long as you can get it inside the hull.

Comment

• SSN687
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Nov 2015

13 October 2017

Yesterday I changed to a new receiver in the WTC, I guess the other one had gotten wet too many times and was not recognizing the radio. I could stand 4 feet from the WTC and it would lose the signal. Anyway got it ready for the Y outside pool, still having a little trouble getting the fairwater planes aliened and working, but after I got it all good to go, I dropped into the pool made a couple of laps on the surface and opened the MBT vent got it to dive.
                    WOW want a hot rod! It will turn on a dime and does a tight figure 8’s. I increased to flank bell it was going great, all was good.
                    Of course it didn’t take long to drain the batteries to parade rest. I consciously decision to not run with the emergency blow tanks charged, the part of the pool that I was using was 4 feet deep and I could see it the whole time. Of course the next part is/was predicable the batteries died in the middle of the pool and the boat a little was heavy, dead on the bottom. I was able to retrieve it and didn’t have to get wet. Got just a little water in the engine room spent the rest of the afternoon drying the WTC out on a hot and humid South Carolina afternoon. Prior to leaving I did re-trim the boat. I had it with about ¼ inch of the sail out of the water. I still need to find a better location for the UPC-1. The present position makes it very hard to dive, but I got no place to go and all night to get there. I just wish I had another couple days at the Y prior to going to Rocky Mount this weekend. With a couple of more days, I could learn to drive it like I stole it and get it tuned just right for me, learning/adjusting to the controls of the radio. I don’t like the configuration of the Futaba airplane radio just something that I will have to adapt to. I would like to find one like the Taranis x9e where all the functions are located across the top of the radio easy to locate, that’s for another day and learning how to setup a 433 MHZ system.

Ernie

Comment

• SSN687
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Nov 2015

9 July 2019
                      David
                      I have stripped the threads on the cone hold down bolt hole. Can I put another threaded bolt in it and put CA glue around the bolt, allow the CA to harden. After the CA glue is harden remove the bolt from the cone and have new threads associated with that bolt? Is there any anything else I need to add to the glue or just use the glue to make the bolt come out easy?
                      Thanks
                      Ernie

Comment

• Aug 2008

9 July 2019
                        David
                        I have stripped the threads on the cone hold down bolt hole. Can I put another threaded bolt in it and put CA glue around the bolt, allow the CA to harden. After the CA glue is harden remove the bolt from the cone and have new threads associated with that bolt? Is there any anything else I need to add to the glue or just use the glue to make the bolt come out easy?
                        Thanks
                        Ernie
                        Let's keep this simple, Ernie.

Dip a 1/16" or so wire or rod in some CA, stick the goo into the stripped out hole and swirl it around so the CA coats what's left of the stripped out thread, Hit with accelerator, and repeat till you've built up the bore enough to cut new threads with a tap or the securing screw. Simple!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSN687
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Nov 2015

5 August 2019
                          David
                          I got the stripped threads fixed, thanks. I have been running my Blueback without a fail-safe, since I have been running it in swimming pools and have been able to see it. If something happens goes wrong with it, it can be easily retrieved. I’m pretty sure that I will be coming to Groton for the Fun-Run 2019 in September. So I need your recommendation on what type of fail-safe that I need install since it will be running in the lake without being able to see it if something happens to it.
                          Thanks
                          Ernie

Comment

• Aug 2008

I recommend the Battery Link Monitor (BLM) for your fail-safe needs.

BLM (Battery and Link Monitor - LiPoGuard 2)Provides expanded-scale voltmeter functionality for 2S through 4S LiPo batteries, NiCd/NiMh and 6V/12V lead acid cells. Also incorporates a 3-stage user-programmable missing pulse / programmed pulse position failsafe and a lost-frame counter.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSN687
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Nov 2015

2 October 2019
                              Rocky Mount 1:96 run 2019

David,
                              What are the dates for the 2019 1:96 fleet-run event in Rocky Mount, North Carolina? In one of your responses, upgrading the SSY 1/96 ALFA kit #113, you listed this event as 11-12 October Friday and Saturday or is it 11 -13 October Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? Just trying to get everything ready and make room reservations.

Thanks
                              Ernie

Comment

• Aug 2008

2 October 2019
                                Rocky Mount 1:96 run 2019

David,
                                What are the dates for the 2019 1:96 fleet-run event in Rocky Mount, North Carolina? In one of your responses, upgrading the SSY 1/96 ALFA kit #113, you listed this event as 11-12 October Friday and Saturday or is it 11 -13 October Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? Just trying to get everything ready and make room reservations.

Thanks
                                Ernie
                                I stand corrected, Ernie. It's Friday as well. We'll be there Friday morning. See you there!

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...