X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

USS Marlin

Thought it might be a good idea to post my Marlin build here, David thought so. One, maybe give me some incentive to build a Skipjack, would really like to build a Thresher, and two, would be nice to have something new for Groton this coming September. I won't go into detail like I did on RCGroups. I got this from Skip ages ago and it sat in the box for a few years. I've known Skip since must have been before 1980. Should I upload pics or use Photobucket? I started building the Marlin around November 2011. For David, Tom and Manfred, they've seen this before. Anyway, here we go.
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 03-16-2016, 11:20 PM.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Glad to see it again. I personally wish all photos are uploaded. Why? Because 5 years from now, when you have run out of room on the 3rd party hosting site and decide to delete old photos, the postings will not become useless. Uploading it to this server preserves the record. This site has some issues with uploading, but you uploaded some and they look good.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
      Thought it might be a good idea to post my Marlin build here, David thought so. One, maybe give me some incentive to build a Skipjack, would really like to build a Thresher, and two, would be nice to have something new for Groton this coming September. I won't go into detail like I did on RCGroups. I got this from Skip ages ago and it sat in the box for a few years. I've known Skip since must have been before 1980. Should I upload pics or use Photobucket? I started building the Marlin around November 2011. For David, Tom and Manfred, they've seen this before. Anyway, here we go.

Good to have you over here, Ken. Yes, the guys should see how a vacuformed kit goes together.

Tom's right about the 3rd party hosting site -- if you take pictures down or that site goes dead, all your WIP photos vanish. But, it's the only way I've found to get big format pictures to post here.

I'm getting some new boats together for the September run as well.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Aww ! I thought it was a model of the SST Marlin, I loved that old, little boat. Spent a little time on her. Rare specimen, only 2 built

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Looks Good. Maybe it will get Dave in the mood to do the Albacore phase one
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

Just look for the Marlin plans. Might be useful for you... http://maritime.org/doc/plans/index.htm

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
              Just look for the Marlin plans. Might be useful for you... http://maritime.org/doc/plans/index.htm

OMG! What a find. Thank you, Andreas. I had no idea this resource was out there! I did a quick look, and some of these drawings (BusShip) are right down to buttock and waterlines!!!!! The perfect resource for scratch-builders.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Alrighty, I'll stick to uploading here, thanks guys! I want to build the Thresher I was told might be ready soon but I have no news about it. So if anyone knows anything, speak up please! Other wise it will be the Skipjack. My dilemma is I just spent $1500 on my cat. I have to do something quick, September is not far off. More $ on the plastic card if I have to I guess.

The Marlin needed plenty of clean up getting the edges true. Lot's of careful sanding. Drilled out the vent holes in the keel with progressive drill sizes.
                Last edited by Ken_NJ; 03-17-2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

This is the leak-o-matic as it was called by some. I replaced it later on with a proper SD from David.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

I followed the plans Skip supplied to mark off the vent holes. Created a plywood jig to give me a guide line to start with. Used a thin piece of wood to get the downward line going forward. Once they were all located started with 2 small drill holes in each vent.

Getting errors when I attach pictures, arghhhhh. It does not let you put picture in the proper order either. Hints anyone?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Screw it, you get the idea if they are not in order. Lots of filing to get the vent holes rectangular. Took about 3 hours of kick ass work to finish these vent holes.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Attached the aft tail cone. Trued up the forward edge of the hull sections. Drilled holes for forward dive planes. Installed the forward bulkhead.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

Attached the forward sponson and faired into the hull.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

OMG! What a find. Thank you, Andreas. I had no idea this resource was out there! I did a quick look, and some of these drawings (BusShip) are right down to buttock and waterlines!!!!! The perfect resource for scratch-builders.

M
                            Yeah, Boy Howdy! That's a good score, there. PDFs for all kinds of obscure auxiliary craft besides the classic Jems I picture a 1/48 th Howard W Gillmore. Biggest ship that docked at the moll pier in the History of maritime Key West. Or so it says in the newspaper, the other day.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                              Yeah, Boy Howdy! That's a good score, there. PDFs for all kinds of obscure auxiliary craft besides the classic Jems I picture a 1/48 th Howard W Gillmore. Biggest ship that docked at the moll pier in the History of maritime Key West. Or so it says in the newspaper, the other day.

GILMORE was the first ship I got orders to. I was on board when it changed home-port from Charelston to Key-West.

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...