Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Here is where the fun starts, making what should be a simple beginners boat into a highly detailed scale working model. After laying out the forward deck outline, cutting, filing and assembly of a realistic looking deck. I used many pictures I found online of her sitting grounded in a park in Omaha.

I really wish I could put the pictures in order, but see no way to do so.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

For this 'hatch' I printed a cross hatch pattern on overheard transparency, laid it on the styrene, punched each intersection with a sharpened nail, and drilled and drilled. Once I put a hinge on it it came out rather well.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

I did the same with the forward section of the deck. This was tedious work.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

BTW, 1/72 Moebious Skipjack is on order! Already reading Tom's build thread and a few others.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

I am getting an error when I try to view the images. It says I am not authorized.
            Last edited by trout; 03-20-2016, 01:00 AM.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

I'm just clicking the camera icon and uploading them Tom. Anyone else getting the same? Maybe I'll have to use Photobucket?

I viewed the thread from another browser as a guest and I was able to view the pictures.
              Last edited by Ken_NJ; 03-20-2016, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

Dave, you notice in those drawings on that site have the drawings of the Marlin SST2 . That would be a unique build. I think one of the two SSTs is up on the hard decksomewhere in the country, oops, senior moment, Ken already said Omaha. I have a picture of it on the marine railway in Key West that I can't post for some reason, but I can email it if you don't have it. Shows the sonar dome
                Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-21-2016, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

Got something in the mail today. Like I don't have enough projects already going on.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Cut out the aft deck and added 'planking'. Really happy with the way it came out.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

As the kit was designed, the sail sat on a protrusion on the deck. Not realistic. So remove the protrusion and it now is recessed. More realistic.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Next was doing something with the sail. Before I started here I had some great ideas what I wanted to do. It would consume most of the insides.

Crap, crap. Here is where I bought myself a new camera, a real camera. All of my pictures are too large, LxW. This web site will not let me upload them. Either I have to shrink the size or use Photobucket.
                        Last edited by Ken_NJ; 03-28-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

So, I learned that if I click on the blue lettering like the one above "4 Photos" I get the not authorized, but if I click on the photos themselves, then I can browse them all. It is great to re-live this build. The details and creative additions are, well, inspirational. Ken, you really built an outstanding sub and I look forward to see what crazy things you will do on the Skipjack.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Im Lovin it. Are you going to use the kit supplied dive module or are you going to install a Subdriver? If I may, the Subdriver will give you expanded capabilitys. I know this because I built the Subtek Albacore using the supplied componants. Needless to tell you, It wasnt long before I made the switch.
                            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

Tom, I just tried clicking on '4 Photos' and got not authorized also. I was always clicking on the photos which works. And of course thanks for the compliments..... again! Not sure about going crazy on the Skipjack. Looking at the stock Marlin it says to me, you can do better! But the Skipjack, what more can you do? Running lights for one.

Greenman, I completed the Marlin with the supplied dive module, and made all kinds of nifty mods to it. I was not going to post pictures of it, but if you want to see it all I will. During the pool test, it leaked a bit. Tom, David and Manfred followed along on my progress with it, I did go to a properly working SD.
                              Last edited by Ken_NJ; 03-29-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2014

Tom, in your Skipjack build thread you are using a Cabal report to make modifications. Where can I find it?

Comment

Working...