Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

USS Marlin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • USS Marlin

    Thought it might be a good idea to post my Marlin build here, David thought so. One, maybe give me some incentive to build a Skipjack, would really like to build a Thresher, and two, would be nice to have something new for Groton this coming September. I won't go into detail like I did on RCGroups. I got this from Skip ages ago and it sat in the box for a few years. I've known Skip since must have been before 1980. Should I upload pics or use Photobucket? I started building the Marlin around November 2011. For David, Tom and Manfred, they've seen this before. Anyway, here we go.
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 03-16-2016, 11:20 PM.

  • #2
    Glad to see it again. I personally wish all photos are uploaded. Why? Because 5 years from now, when you have run out of room on the 3rd party hosting site and decide to delete old photos, the postings will not become useless. Uploading it to this server preserves the record. This site has some issues with uploading, but you uploaded some and they look good.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
      Thought it might be a good idea to post my Marlin build here, David thought so. One, maybe give me some incentive to build a Skipjack, would really like to build a Thresher, and two, would be nice to have something new for Groton this coming September. I won't go into detail like I did on RCGroups. I got this from Skip ages ago and it sat in the box for a few years. I've known Skip since must have been before 1980. Should I upload pics or use Photobucket? I started building the Marlin around November 2011. For David, Tom and Manfred, they've seen this before. Anyway, here we go.

      Good to have you over here, Ken. Yes, the guys should see how a vacuformed kit goes together.

      Tom's right about the 3rd party hosting site -- if you take pictures down or that site goes dead, all your WIP photos vanish. But, it's the only way I've found to get big format pictures to post here.

      I'm getting some new boats together for the September run as well.

      M
      Resident Luddite

      Comment


      • #4
        Aww ! I thought it was a model of the SST Marlin, I loved that old, little boat. Spent a little time on her. Rare specimen, only 2 built

        Comment


        • #5
          Looks Good. Maybe it will get Dave in the mood to do the Albacore phase one
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

          Comment


          • #6
            Just look for the Marlin plans. Might be useful for you... http://maritime.org/doc/plans/index.htm

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DrSchmidt View Post
              Just look for the Marlin plans. Might be useful for you... http://maritime.org/doc/plans/index.htm

              OMG! What a find. Thank you, Andreas. I had no idea this resource was out there! I did a quick look, and some of these drawings (BusShip) are right down to buttock and waterlines!!!!! The perfect resource for scratch-builders.

              M
              Resident Luddite

              Comment


              • #8
                Alrighty, I'll stick to uploading here, thanks guys! I want to build the Thresher I was told might be ready soon but I have no news about it. So if anyone knows anything, speak up please! Other wise it will be the Skipjack. My dilemma is I just spent $1500 on my cat. I have to do something quick, September is not far off. More $ on the plastic card if I have to I guess.

                The Marlin needed plenty of clean up getting the edges true. Lot's of careful sanding. Drilled out the vent holes in the keel with progressive drill sizes.
                Last edited by Ken_NJ; 03-17-2016, 09:22 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is the leak-o-matic as it was called by some. I replaced it later on with a proper SD from David.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I followed the plans Skip supplied to mark off the vent holes. Created a plywood jig to give me a guide line to start with. Used a thin piece of wood to get the downward line going forward. Once they were all located started with 2 small drill holes in each vent.

                    Getting errors when I attach pictures, arghhhhh. It does not let you put picture in the proper order either. Hints anyone?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Screw it, you get the idea if they are not in order. Lots of filing to get the vent holes rectangular. Took about 3 hours of kick ass work to finish these vent holes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Attached the aft tail cone. Trued up the forward edge of the hull sections. Drilled holes for forward dive planes. Installed the forward bulkhead.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Attached the forward sponson and faired into the hull.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post


                            OMG! What a find. Thank you, Andreas. I had no idea this resource was out there! I did a quick look, and some of these drawings (BusShip) are right down to buttock and waterlines!!!!! The perfect resource for scratch-builders.

                            M
                            Yeah, Boy Howdy! That's a good score, there. PDFs for all kinds of obscure auxiliary craft besides the classic Jems I picture a 1/48 th Howard W Gillmore. Biggest ship that docked at the moll pier in the History of maritime Key West. Or so it says in the newspaper, the other day.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Von Hilde View Post
                              Yeah, Boy Howdy! That's a good score, there. PDFs for all kinds of obscure auxiliary craft besides the classic Jems I picture a 1/48 th Howard W Gillmore. Biggest ship that docked at the moll pier in the History of maritime Key West. Or so it says in the newspaper, the other day.

                              GILMORE was the first ship I got orders to. I was on board when it changed home-port from Charelston to Key-West.

                              M
                              Resident Luddite

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X