Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    HA! I live with my Mom and thats the bed spread that she made! Be careful or Ill get Mom on you!
    I will not suffer The Wrath Of Mom! (Doctor Detroit fans will get it).

I formally retract the last blast.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

We'll I have been watching the build for awhile, Mark. I ended up with 2 Gato kits back in November, that are stacked up with a 1/72 I-53 that are taking up space and gathering dust. Wasn't aware of all the aftermarket towers available now. Good to know . Box art on the kit is weird. Artist wasn't a bubblehead. Boat is high in the water, ballast tanks showing, but scuppers flowing. Dive planes down, running on the surface, no whitewater coming out the limbers. Just an observation

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Well maybe you could build up one as a "GUPPY", and the other as a "GUN SLINGER". Just a thought........or two. I appreciate your helpful hints Von Hilde. Whenever you see something of note, let me know. Moving right along here, HWSNBN is getting impatient with my "apparent lack of progress"( a statement by Darth Vader from Return of the Jedi)
        To remove all of the excess material on the stern and mid-section, I employed my Dremel Multi-max. Its very quick and leaves much less mess. Zip,zip,.....zip. Its done, no muss....no fuss. Ya gotta be careful though, this thing cuts so fast you can easily overshoot your line. Hafta pay the utmost attention to what you are doing. In these pictures, I have made no attempt at cleanup of the joints. That way you can see how clean the cut is.
        Last edited by greenman407; 03-09-2016, 01:30 PM.
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Looking good Mark! Guessing you are going to do a hull split on this sub. Once you have the deck glued, you might be able to remove more cross beams. As you have seen it is pretty thick plastic and weight wise it adds up. Watching your build gets me excited to build my second Gato. I need patience because I want to see how your sub finishes and runs.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by trout
            Looking good Mark! Guessing you are going to do a hull split on this sub. Once you have the deck glued, you might be able to remove more cross beams. As you have seen it is pretty thick plastic and weight wise it adds up. Watching your build gets me excited to build my second Gato. I need patience because I want to see how your sub finishes and runs.
            Yes Tom, thats the plan. So......whats your plans for the second Gato? Gonna do sumpin different?

Comment

• Aug 2008

That is a slick tool. What? It vibrates like those old saws used to cut off plaster casts? What a neat cut: tight kerf, and no apparent melting of the plastic. As you say, very clean. I'll get one! Thanks for the tip.

Make it the TRUTTA! Rework the bow (TENCH class bow) and turn the rest into a GUPPY 2A.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                That is a slick tool. What? It vibrates like those old saws used to cut off plaster casts? What a neat cut: tight kerf, and no apparent melting of the plastic. As you say, very clean. I'll get one! Thanks for the tip.

Make it the TRUTTA! Rework the bow (TENCH class bow) and turn the rest into a GUPPY 2A.

M
                AH! Anybody we know in the pictures? Thats probably Dave back by the rear hatch....and hes probably sanding on a submarine.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

You have seen this Subdriver before. Its the one I purchased for the Gato several months back. Notice a new addition to it. Its Daves gas ballast backup. Note the propel reservoir and associated admission valve. Note also the huge ballast tank. Also rendered here is Kevin Mcleods bow plane interlock gizmo. Pretty Cool

Comment

• Aug 2008

AH! Anybody we know in the pictures? Thats probably Dave back by the rear hatch....and hes probably sanding on a submarine.

Naw, I'm taking the picture from the pier -- me and some other guys were left to tend the mooring lines to keep the TRUTTA centered between the piers as she went up and down. UDT students would take turns locking in and out of the forward room. Noet the double 72's lashed to the leading edge of the sail -- they had to breath hold from the lock to the sail. Most boats in the squadron were dragooned into this work -- the UDT school was right there and they wanted practical experience for the students when it came time to train on submarine in-and-out op's.

No room for model-making on the boat. I did that in the barracks (Qualified guys only slept on the boat if we had duty or were underway):

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Looks like He was a character back then too. OH!................................

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I noticed that the kit supplied bow plane axle and knuckle are perpendicular to each other, as you would naturally expect them to be. In the instructional videos Dave shows them being used, so you have to drill it out to take a rod thru it. Then to my surprise, I suddenly realized that the fittings kit comes with a set of green ones. Then I notice that the green ones are not perpendicular as the kit supplied ones are. Knowing Dave, there has to be a reason. Dave tells me that thru much trial and error, that angle helps the planes conform better to the hulls shape in the retacted position. One of the pictures you will see displayed here now is a closeup of the hull at the bow planes position. In it you can see how the hull is recessed in to some extent so the bow planes can nest up close to the skin. Anyway here is a few pictures of the latest progress.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Looks like He was a character back then too. OH!................................

DO NOT EVOKE MY WRATH!!!!.......

(crack of thunder)

Back then our idea of personal hygiene was fresh boxers and Rite-Guard deoderant: empty the contents within the pits, jump into civies, and hit the gate.

I was young, dumb, cocky, and good looking. What could possibly go wrong? (Lost a tooth over there). The Boat Bar on Duval St. was my home-away-from- home?

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

We called it the Marine shower. Duct tape a Riteguard can to the locker door and stand under it, push the button . Top it off with a healthy douche of Old Spice on the civilian shirt, good to go.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I got both the stern and the bow glued on today. Before I glued the bow in place, I made sure that I made the cuts just to the inside of it, that were to be made after the bow was glued in place, that way it would be easier. I also prepared the prop shaft bearing area before I glued the stern on because of better access before it is buttoned up. Just trying to use my head...........DUH!

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Although we didnt make it to Clearwater, all was not lost. I did get some more done on the Gato. I made the recommended radial cuts fore and aft and am now working on getting the deck attached in preparation to split the hull. I made a wooden stand for it which is pretty important, because you need the sub to be held somewhat stable while you are working on it, instead of it falling all over the place.
                                Dave recommends using a thicker form of cohesive to put part of the deck on. Im kinda shy about using a thick gel type of cohesive because the last time I did that it ate its way all the way thru and created additional problems. So I had to look for alternatives.

Comment

Working...