Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Yes you did! Shes very impressive.................to put up with you. OH! I dont believe I said that. LOOK! the edit button isnt working right now. At any rate I also managed to get the bow together, getting ready to start the retract mech. section. Boy, if I keep going like this , Ill be done Thursday week. What happened to the "Emoticons"? I could be putting a smiley face in here somewhere......but NO......No emoticons.
    Last edited by greenman407; 02-22-2016, 07:28 PM. Reason: I hada nother think coming
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

She's too good for you, you bum!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
        Yes you did! Shes very impressive.................to put up with you. OH! I dont believe I said that. LOOK! the edit button isnt working right now. At any rate I also managed to get the bow together, getting ready to start the retract mech. section. Boy, if I keep going like this , Ill be done Thursday week. What happened to the "Emoticons"? I could be putting a smiley face in here somewhere......but NO......No emoticons.

Smart-ass!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I had been thinking about the bow plane retracts and how I was going to control them. Somewhere I was reading about Kevin Mcleod having a device to control your retract mech. I think it was in Toms Gato build thread. I contacted Kevin and he sent me a link to a vid that demonstrates the device. Its very inexpensive and it looks like it works great. WHERE HAVE I BEEN? you say. Somehow I missed all this but here is the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8BB...be&app=desktop

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I think Kevin can do just about anything. Glad Hes onboard. Ill be getting one on the way.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

You are right. It does work great. I have one in my Oscar and I can tell you that having fiddled around with THREE different Engle modules (none of which actually worked as advertised), I discovered Kevin's bow plane retract module. Its easy to programme and it works. Flip the switch; it brings the bow planes to zero angle and isolates the bow plane servo, then retracts the planes. Wonderful.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Continuing on I cut out the upper areas in the bow as described in Daves video instructions. Also I got the stern and rudder and rudder bearings prepared.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by HardRock
                  You are right. It does work great. I have one in my Oscar and I can tell you that having fiddled around with THREE different Engle modules (none of which actually worked as advertised), I discovered Kevin's bow plane retract module. Its easy to programme and it works. Flip the switch; it brings the bow planes to zero angle and isolates the bow plane servo, then retracts the planes. Wonderful.
                  Hardrock, thanks for the info. I dont know if youve ever seen the movie " Run Silent, Run Deep"? In it , during their drills to prepare for the upcoming battles with the Japanese Destroyers, they showed the bow planes being put down in preparation for use. I was amazed at how slowly they moved from stowed to deployed position. I hope to be able to achieve something close to that.
                  Last edited by greenman407; 03-09-2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

I'm sure that you will be able to do it. Kevin's module has variable deployment speed. Its very nifty!

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Today I watched more of the video, did some more work.....watched more video, did some more work. First I mounted and glued the skeg that comprises half of the stern planes bearing. Then I marked and sawed off the portion to give us access to the rudder and planes assm. Then on to marking and carving out the area where the prop shafts penetrate the hull. Cleaned up the white metal castings and pickled them in Vinegar. Probably not as good as ferric acid but it does work as I have used it before. Tomorrow I hope to get on some body filler on some booboo spots on the prop shaft fairings and the prop bearing mounts. Ive got a set of brass props for this thing and I drilled and mounted them on the shafts using "permatex green sleeve retainer". Very, very, mean stuff.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Onward ever onward. I was very careful not to trim away too much material at the location of the prop shafts penetrating the hull. It worked out well. I decided to try Daves trick of using baking soda on the CA. I used thick CA . I put a carefully aimed and contoured filet of CA and then sprinkled baking soda on top. It all looks good to me so far.

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

That's looking really nice Mark. (Looks even better when compared to your fat, hairy thumb!)

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

At least my nails were clean. That was over a week ago. Since then I learned the hard way. Dont cement the rear halves together, until you have rudder shaft and bellcrank in place as well as stern planes sitting in its cradle. The bad words that can come from not heeding this advice could be extreme. So, stern has been assembled and marked for excess upper deck material removal. Same is true of the mid section. I think I will use my Dremel Multi-Max to do the cutting. Less kerf and melted mess. At the same time Im turning my attention to the bow planes and retract.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Could you possibly find a more gay looking photo background -- where do you live ... in a bath-house???!!!!

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

HA! I live with my Mom and thats the bed spread that she made! Be careful or Ill get Mom on you!

Comment

Working...