Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

In order to continue on, I needed to set up my cutting board. The last time I used it was to split the hull on the Bronco type 23. Since the type 23s cut was much higher off the deck of the cutting board I had to modify my Dremel holding jig to get the blade down to proper height for this model. To get a level cut I had to shim the back of the sub up 1/8" Using a diamond blade and making about 6 or seven passes back and forth , we made it thru. Because my cutting board is only so wide, I had to cut one side and then spin the model around and setup again to cut the other side. With that operation done, I can clean things up and move on.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

At least ten characters. OK , now are you satisfied?

Comment

• HardRock
        Vice Admiral
        • Mar 2013

I love the smell of burning polystyrene in the morning. Just sayin.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I know that the kerf and melted plastic makes you wonder but it all peeled of to reveal a nice straight line. Even if it didnt, its gonna be filled with Evercoat when the time comes.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Now Im gonna watch more of the video. Who says nobody follows the instructions?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
              Now Im gonna watch more of the video. Who says nobody follows the instructions?

I do!

You're telling people the 1/72 SKIPJACK don't need practical sail-planes!? ....

That's a greasing offence, sir!

(or was that Tom putting out that bad dope? .... never mind!)

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Now, Now, David, calm down. Please no wrath or lightening bolts. I was not intending to put dope out there. Can someone run their Skipjack without the sail planes? Absolutely they can. Is it better performance with the sail planes? Absolutely. Just saying....
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                  Now, Now, David, calm down. Please no wrath or lightening bolts. I was not intending to put dope out there. Can someone run their Skipjack without the sail planes? Absolutely they can. Is it better performance with the sail planes? Absolutely. Just saying....
                  You were moments away from a horrible death .... but saved yourself terrible retribution at the last second, pal!

YOU PEOPLE!.....

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

I believe that I said that on "My Ship" I saw no positive contribution to running the submarine with them. They had no positive effect. Now thats not to say that "Your Ship" or anybody elses wont be able to use them to good effect. You said that you want Honest Feedback with complete disclosure. Thats what I saw and experienced, so therefore , thats what I reported. With all due respect to "His Eminence"

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

This afternoon I have been able to secure and complete the prop shaft bearing adhesion portion of the project. YEAHHHH! And the Beauty is that it even works

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                        I believe that I said that on "My Ship" I saw no positive contribution to running the submarine with them. They had no positive effect. Now thats not to say that "Your Ship" or anybody elses wont be able to use them to good effect. You said that you want Honest Feedback with complete disclosure. Thats what I saw and experienced, so therefore , thats what I reported. With all due respect to "His Eminence"
                        Hurumph!

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Today I installed doubler plates on the joints and further strengthened others. The clips that hold down the upper hull at the bow also were put on. At the rear of the upper hull I also added a bulkhead to keep the sides at the correct dimension right at the cut. The step in the middle of the upper hull that is used to locate and hold the Fairwater had to be removed for my after market conning tower, so I cut it away leaving a large hole where it once was. Also the add on bulkheads were installed which also serve as saddles for the Subdriver. Also one of the supports that falls exactly under the fairwater was removed for better access. Not much but at least it was something.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Photos???? (That makes 10 characters)

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Photos???? You guys cant use your imagination????!!!! OK....OK here we go with some visual aids. Today I got into the flood vent templates. The flood vents in the "Early" Gatos are quite a bit different from the flood vents Dave had cut into the Gato that He was working on in the video. Mine look much easier and less involved. By reading the instructions as well as going to the producers website, all the holes rendered in the templates are not all to be cut, only the "Free Access Openings" as the call them. Unless you just like cutting holes. They explain that the flood vents are large butterfy valves that can be rendered closed or open by cutting and installing a flap to simulate the open valve. At any rate, this will keep me busy for a while.
                              Last edited by greenman407; 04-18-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Needs a little cleanup but other than that it is done. I found the templates good quality. But for scribing you need to use a template of heavier material than these paper templates. So I used a circle template that you can buy from Wallymart or staples.

Comment

Working...