Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beeryboats
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

Now the fun part starts, finishing the hull/deck joint. I've sanded so much my shoulder and elbow are aching. I'm taking my little girl with me to the hobby shop to get some square alum tube for the drive shafts. Just a little experiment with two part spring loaded drive shafts. It should work slick if there is enough room.
    Jay

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

You can edit your photos by simply double clicking on them in edit mode. A window will open up with choices of photo size. Medium or large are good. Its very easy and will enhance your entry here.
      Last edited by Kazzer; 11-26-2011, 12:08 PM.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Thank you. Is this what you mean?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Jay, You radical! You rebel! Trying a new idea? Come on share (with pictures please!).
          Originally posted by beeryboats
          Now the fun part starts, finishing the hull/deck joint. I've sanded so much my shoulder and elbow are aching. I'm taking my little girl with me to the hobby shop to get some square alum tube for the drive shafts. Just a little experiment with two part spring loaded drive shafts. It should work slick if there is enough room.
          Jay
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
            Jay, You radical! You rebel! Trying a new idea? Come on share (with pictures please!).
            Like this? ............

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0036.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	65366Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0043.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	65367Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0033.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	65369
            Attached Files
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

David,
              Is the spring used to absorb vibration? Maintain pressure to prevent the ends from popping out? Please help the less informed!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Did a little finishing work on the hull. Maybe paint tomorrow and see how it looks.

Name:	Hull_Detail_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	65370
                WTC Issue
                David, I know you advised about 3” of space from the end of the WTC Dumas connectors and the propellor shaft Dumas connectors. That would mean moving my WTC forward. O.K. I shaped the end and got plenty of forward movement. Maybe I am over thinking this, but the whole WTC not only can go forward, but it shifts the longitudinal plane with an upward angle.

Name:	WTC_Issue_002.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	65371Click image for larger version

Name:	WTC_Issue_003.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	65372Click image for larger version

Name:	WTC_Issue_004.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	65373

This angle does cause a couple of issues that I can see. The forward most end of the WTC will break above the waterline. In the flood chamber, the vent is at the lower point in the cylinder, trapping a large bubble. The only way to vent out the bubble is have a nose down attitude. If I had a vent on this higher portion, I would not be so concerned.

Name:	WTC_Issue_005.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	65374
                Your thoughts or solutions?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David,
                  Is the spring used to absorb vibration? Maintain pressure to prevent the ends from popping out? Please help the less informed!
                  The idea is to facilitate installation of the SD within the hull without messing with alignment of standard dog-bones at the same time. I can slip the running gear into place after the SD is installed and strapped down.

The inner square-section brass tube slides within the outer square-section brass tube (square so they are not free to rotate but are free to slide linearly). The compression spring pushes the inner tube, which is attached to the dog-bone, into the SD's motor shaft coupler.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Very nice idea.....Hmmm. Jay, go for it! I like it and maybe do something like that on another build.
                    Right now, I need to resolve this WTC placement. I could take the road of fixing it properly and cut out the propellor shaft, realign it with the correct angle going in, redo the propellor shaft struts. Unless a better solution comes up, I will have to do that. David, if you do not think the angle will be a problem, please speak up.

Comment

• beeryboats
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jun 2011

My secret source of info told me the S/D is about 10-1/2" aft the bow. That's what I'm aiming for. I ended up cutting out one of the alignment pins on the bottom of the hull and it went down nice and level. I did bevel the forward cap on the driver as well. I'll go find the camera and post on my build forum.
                      Jay

Comment

• Aug 2008

Very nice idea.....Hmmm. Jay, go for it! I like it and maybe do something like that on another build.
                        Right now, I need to resolve this WTC placement. I could take the road of fixing it properly and cut out the propellor shaft, realign it with the correct angle going in, redo the propellor shaft struts. Unless a better solution comes up, I will have to do that. David, if you do not think the angle will be a problem, please speak up.
                        An up-angle on the SD -- yes, a problem. As you observed, you won't get all the air out of the ballast tank if you do that.

Try this: chop off what you can off the forward and after ends of the cylinder. The shorter cylinder will then fit without necessitating the up-angle at the front of it.

Don't mess with the running gear.

David,
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

CUT THE TUBE???? AAAGHHHHH - Man, you are stretching me in all sorts of ways. BUT that is a great idea, I did not even consider that! O.K. any tips you would like to offer? Best practices? Thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Using the recommended big 11.1-volt battery you won't have any material to cut away from the forward end of the cylinder. That leaves the after dry space. First, dry-fit all your gadgets back there to identify how much cylinder back there you have to whack off (so to speak).

However, there is something fundamentally wrong here. I note that you already have a GATO SD of the 'new' configuration, which is a few inches shorter than the 'old' configuration. Find out what it is in the bottom of the hull that is preventing you from shoving the SD, as is, far enough forward to permit it to sit level and accept standard dog-bones between SD and running gear couplers.

But, if you do wind up cutting the cylinder, a band saw or hacksaw will get the job done with little effort.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Jay,
                              Thank you. I shaped the forward portion as much as I could without cutting into the tube. Looking at the alignment pins is a good idea too! I will verify that the pins are not adding in the uplift of the wtc.
                              Peace,
                              tom

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Seams
                                Decided to tackle creating some seams/weld lines. I have destroyed many as I joined the bow, aft, and installed the prop supports and I needed to see if I could recreate them or decide to remove all of them.
                                I had seen a build were tape was used and CA applied then baking powder was drizzled in. So that was one way. Then I thought why not put the baking powder in first then add CA. I saw David do that to build fillets. Another option is I could mix glaze and use that to create seams. Then I saw a build somewhere that the individual used thread drenched in CA. I decided to go with fill with baking powder then add CA.
                                To begin, I lined up a couple of pieces of painters blue tape. Rub the edges down with your fingernail and around cross seams that intersect the line you are building.

Name:	Seam_001.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	65378
                                Sprinkled baking powder on and pushed it into the gap between the tape. I even left a little extra on top of the seam.

Name:	Seam_002.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	65379
                                Applied thin CA and applied a drop. Then I used a piece of metal (actually a pocket clip from a pen) to move the CA up and down the seam. Then applied another sprinkling of baking powder to set any wet CA.

Name:	Seam_003.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	65380
                                Using 120 grit wet/dry sandpaper, began sanding the along the newly created seam. The goal is to knock down any high areas and use the tape as a depth guide.

Name:	Seam_004.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	65381
                                Removed the tape and I am left with a wonderful seam. A little bigger than I wanted, but a seam/weld anyways.

Name:	Seam_005.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	65382
                                The net one I put the tape pieces closer. I thought it might be too close, but as it turned out it was not. So the gap needed to be smaller than you would think.

Name:	Seam_006.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	65383Click image for larger version

Name:	Seam_007.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	65384
                                Then I went ahead and put some primer on to see how it looked. I like it.

Name:	Seam_008.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	65385Click image for larger version

Name:	Seam_009.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	65386

Comment

Working...