Blue and Pink (closed-cell) Good!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Crud. Thanks David for the info.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Couldn't resist the urge to add the hand hold.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Steps_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	65550
        After looking at lots of pictures of subs, I kept seeing the forth step at the bow, so I drew mine in from a pattern I made off of the Revell Gato line drawing in the instruction book.
        Then drilled out the initial opening.

Name:	Steps_002.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	65551
        Using a small half round file, began opening the opening to match the pattern. At the same time, I would alternate with grinding out the back of the opening.

Name:	Steps_003.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	65554
        I made the top way to high, so I added a little Nitro Stan filler around the opening to correct some shape issues I had, then wet sanded the area.

Name:	Steps_004.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	65555
        I will worry about the primer paint a little later.
        Attached Files
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

The Props are on!

Name:	Propellor thread_001.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	65556
          Let me digress....... In the beginning there were several choices for propellors. I went for the Raboesch prop. They are pretty, but it is threaded. So, fellow newbies, use the ones in the fittings kit! I was enticed by the bright, shiny, brass props. So I bought them. After some time it was shared that the thread is 5-40. Jay aka beeryboats lent me his die (an amazing man!). For the life of me I could not get threads on without destroying the shafts by twisting, gouging, bending and well you get the idea. Maybe you don’t. Here is a picture of the threading attempts.

Name:	Propellor thread_002.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	65557
          This does not do the damage justice because some of the shafts had a cork screw in them and others I cut and re-used. I destroyed two sets of shafts plus a lot of brass rod. I had a second fittings kit set aside for the next Gato.
          While searching around, I found mention of two types of dies (there are more than that, but for my purposes two), hex and adjustable round. The hex was mentioned for rethreading and repair. The slotted was for threading rods.
          Jay used the hex. With brass, after countless tries, I could get a so-so thread on (Jay you are the man!), but destroyed it with twists. To get any kind of straight thread, I would have to taper the end considerably to get it to work and clamp the heck out of it. Steel shaft just would not happen. Once I discovered the info on the adjustable round, I went ahead and got it and a handle.

Name:	Propellor thread_002a.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	65558
          I played with the adjustable round, first on brass then on my last shaft from D&E fittings kit. The brass also gave me an idea of how much thread the prop actually took. Now I felt confident to put a thread on the ones David very generously made for me. The other key thing I discovered is using the right vise (DUH!). I have a shop vise that rotates on a ball to allow me to adjust angles and it has a smooth surface on one jaw and a v groove along the length of the other jaw. Prior attempts using a regular vise and locking pliers to prevent the shaft from spinning in the vice led to this, another picture of shame, the twisted shank.

Name:	Propellor thread_003.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	65559
          Once I used the smooth vice’s v groove, that stopped me from needing to use the locking pliers and prevented the torque from reaching the area the Dumas coupler connects to. Are my shafts perfect? One came out great. the other has a slight offset (caused by uneven pressure from one side allowing the die to travel slightly off-center). It should be O.K., I will see how it works later. Need to move on!

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Good grief! It looks like a slaughterhouse there! Seven shafts messed up? What are you doing? :-)

Perhaps this is a good argument for not using brass shafts?
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

A shaft needs to be threaded using a lathe really. You mount the shaft in the chuck, and use the tailstock to ensure the die is square, spin the chuck by hand and gradually wind in the tailstock to push the die up against the tip of the shaft. Trying to do it the way you are is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Thanks Subculture! Recipe for disaster is my speciality! Being a beginner at this and not having a modern lathe, this is what I have to offer. Although, you make a great point and I do have a lathe from the 1900's. Hmmmm I wonder if I could get that to work? How do you get the shank to slide in deep enough to hold it...... not on this build, might have to play later!

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Oh! @Mike
                  What am I doing? Learning. LOL
                  It is not an argument for not using brass shafts, an argument to practice a lot more than I did or give it to someone that knows what the heck they are doing (with the right equipment).
                  Yes, yes it does look like a shaft slaughterhouse. :-) I hope this does not make this posting R rating for gore and violence.

Comment

• beeryboats
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jun 2011

I had use of a small lathe at work and I made sure I chucked it down deep very close to where I was starting the threads. I ended up using a box end wrench to hold the hex die and after putting a slight taper on the shaft, I just pushed the die against the shaft while turning the head of the lathe by hand. Works like a charm. Tom, if it makes you feel better, I bent one of the stainless shafts. I had it chucked up in a drill and was polishing it with scotch brite when it tweeked on me. That's why I went to the brass rods.
                    Jay

Comment

• reddevil
                      Commander
                      • Jun 2009

NIce thread. Looks like you have props changed. The way you've installed them, they'll have to rotate inwards (instead of outwards) to go ahead). Sure it's due to the impatience of having a look of them im place.

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Name:	woodworkers-vise-1051.jpg
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	65573
                        I used to make dowsing rods out of steel 3/16" and threaded about 3/16" on the ends. I always used a woodworkers vice and lined the jaws with a hardwood, then placed the rod so it just protruded. Then I opened up the split die to do a first cut.

Name:	die.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	65574

Use lots of oil too. I never had a problem and found it quicker than chucking it all up in a lathe. But then, I'm a butcher, not an engineer!
                        Last edited by Kazzer; 12-13-2011, 04:59 AM.
                        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Mike, Thank you! I appreciate you explaining what that screw was for! I honestly did not know.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

reddevil, yes, it was just to see them in place! I will switch them when it comes time to do a final setup. Great eye you have there!

Comment

• beeryboats
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by trout
                              reddevil, yes, it was just to see them in place! I will switch them when it comes time to do a final setup. Great eye you have there!
                              Shoot! I didn't know there was a right side or left side. I got mine in backwards too I guess. I hope they turn as well in the other holes.....
                              Jay

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Jay, just change the props if you are worried about your shaft lengths.

The thought of my sub tagging a rock or bouncing off the bottom of a pool brought disastrous images to my mind. I saw David had added brass to his Gato keel on a Cabal Report, so I wanted to. What is it about bright shiny objects?
                                I scored the brass to the width I needed and cut out strips with my larger jewelers saw. Then I taped the strips to the keel and marked areas I needed to modify, like the taper for the front. Marked where I wanted the holes and numbered them so I could keep track. Removed the pieces, cut, drilled and shaped the pieces as I had marked them. Then placed the pieces back on and used the holes drilled out as pilots for the drilling into the hull.

Name:	Brass_Keel_001.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	65590Click image for larger version

Name:	Brass_Keel_002.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	65591
                                Again the strips come off and I began to solder a length of 1/16” brass rod into the holes. The thought is the wire would fit into the holes of the keel into the hull and I could bend the wire to hold the brass strip in place, yet allow me to remove it if I wanted to.

Name:	Brass_Keel_003.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	65592Click image for larger version

Name:	Brass_Keel_004.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	65593
                                Once the wires were all attached to the strips, it was time to push it through the holes in the keel.

Name:	Brass_Keel_005.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	65594Click image for larger version

Name:	Brass_Keel_006.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	65595
                                Then using a pair of needle nose pliers began to bend and push the wire down. That was harder than I thought it would be and made me wish I had A. annealed it or B. used a smaller diameter. There were a couple I could not bend down because of their location.

Name:	Brass_Keel_007.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	65596
                                Once they were pushed down, I used CA and baking powder to lock them in place.

Name:	Brass_Keel_008.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	65597
                                Then went along the keel and cut any wire that stuck through and filed to clean up.

Name:	Brass_Keel_009.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	65598
                                Later I will fill in the sides.

Comment

Working...