X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fireblade47
    Ensign
    • May 2023

New to this hobby, new to 3d printing

Hello folks, name is Mike Forsblade. Been flying RC for 40 years, jets, helicopters, racing planes. I love RC submarines, and would like to get into this side of the hobby. I want to 3d print my submarine, but never, ever used one. I just bought a Ender 3 s1 pro. I have no clue how to use, set up or print. Have a made a good choice with the Ender 3 pro? Can someone that’s printed before walk me thru the process? I installed Cura to my laptop, but still have to inbox the printer. Eventually, will would like to print several hulls. I appreciate very much any help , currently living in Central Florida, moving here from Houston, TX.
  • Sinksalot
    Commander
    • Mar 2020

Watch these setup videos for that printer.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Steve Hodges uses that printer extensively. His contact info is available to DiveTribe members on my site at https://www.rc-submarine.com/divetri...er-member-list

Comment

• Wizzard033
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Sep 2023

Ender is a good quality for sure but I prefer the Creality CR10 or larger for printing hulls. I have The CR10s pro and I'm printing a type VII C in 1:48 with PLA now and it's almost too small. One of the pieces is almost 400mm. I think that will be the limiting factor for the Ender. I plan to also print the boot in ABS.

I use an Elegoo Saturn for printing fine bits and things that need to be more sturdy.

While I'm New to subs I've been printing for years. my first boat was in 1987'

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Fireblade47,

Welcome to the forum, and this great hobby!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Sections Complete 1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	173711 Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA BUILD 4.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	173712

This is one of my many 3D printed boats. The Russian Alfa. I am using the Dremel 3D40 printer, which is PLA only, I use Simplify 3D.

Rob
          "Firemen can strand the heat."

Comment

• Wizzard033
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by rwtdiver
            Fireblade47,

Welcome to the forum, and this great hobby!

This is one of my many 3D printed boats. The Russian Alfa. I am using the Dremel 3D40 printer, which is PLA only, I use Simplify 3D.

Rob
            "Firemen can strand the heat."
            I love watching things pop out of the Printers myself.

Comment

• Groot689
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2016

HI Mike,

The Ender 3 S1 is a good printer especially for the price and its ability to produce excellent prints right out of the box and after a reasonably quick setup. I have two Ender 3 S1, a CR-10 Pro and two Ender 5 plus. My only concern is that you are going to need a larger build plate for larger submarines. You can still pick up the much larger Ender 5 Plus for a reasonable price but the CR-10 has updated features including an Bluetooth interface, LED lighting and an updated control board. There are loads of tutorials on Youtube and you should join their blogs on Facebook for more support. Have fun.

Comment

Working...