Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

That 2015 Groton video in post #14 was quite long. Video editing is not so easy, very time consuming.

Here's a pretty good video at Groton in 2019. Much shorter.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

This is a unedited video with a GoPro mounted on the SS Miss Belmar just driving around.

Groton 2016.

Here is a picture slideshow of Groton from May of 2022. All previous Groton events were held in September. This one and 2023 was held in May. For 2022, they had not finished filling the lake and gotten the filtration system running so the water was low and murky.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

I have one of Skip Asay's original Albacore submarine kits ( I got it damaged) that I built up with some help in the way of some parts from David M.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ALBACORE 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	175881 Click image for larger version  Name:	ALBACORE 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	175882 Click image for larger version  Name:	ALBACORE 7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	175886

Click image for larger version  Name:	ALBACORE 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	175883 Click image for larger version  Name:	ALBACORE 5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	175884 Click image for larger version  Name:	ALBACORE 6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	175885

Click image for larger version  Name:	ALBACORE 9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	175887 Click image for larger version  Name:	ALBACORE 8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.7 KB ID:	175888

I did replace some damaged hull parts, and gave it a basic colors with the intent to come back some day and do it up right. I set it up as a surface runner with the intent to install a ballast system as well.

I did forgot to mention that I did use the original motor and the belt drive gear system with my WTC. And a big thank you to Davis M. for the parts that he sent me for doing the stern linkages to control the rudder and dive panes as well as a stern section and propeller.

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat."
        Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-21-2023, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Alucard
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Aug 2023

I loved the That 2015 Groton video; it was great watching people with their subs just having a good time.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

I think I built the Mariln around 2011. Tom started following my build on RCG. Then he introduced me to David. I already knew Skip, since late 70's. Being my first sub, I had a difficult time trimming out which Tom and David helped a lot. After trimming, then testing in the pool, I was using Skip's original WTC which David coined the 'sink-o-matic'. Had a hell of a time keeping the water out. He ended up sending me one of his sub drivers. You can see both in this first video.

The video is long but shows some of the build process, testing in the pool, how the mess in the sail works and finally its first run in a real lake. Incidentally, where the first run in the lake took place is the same spot I lost the Marlin for 7 months August 2019.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

I guess you can call this practicing.

Comment

Working...