X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Assorted video's by me (Ken)

I will be sharing assorted video's I've made in the past. Watch them, or don't or skim through them. I've made video's at Groton, Naval Submarine Base New London, Subfest and event's with our model boat club the Garden State Model Boaters (GSMB).

First up, a story. There are three particular people in our club, started in 1985, that I admired for their skills at what they do, and they all have passed away. Those being Skip Asay, Charlie Kilian and David Kammerer. They all at one time were Commodores of our club. David was a retired art teacher that built amazingly detailed model boats. I'll cover some of what he did later, may be in pictures, no video. Before Charlie retired he had a business called Essential Machining. He was a machinist his entire life. When he did retire, he kept some of his equipment and had it moved to his garage. He had a large lathe that must have been 5-6 feet long. It had a turret and all sorts of tooling. The band saw was taller than me, maybe 6-7 feet. Lastly he had a huge Bridgeport 3 axis milling machine. Charlie could build anything, and he made many things for me. I'll cover one of Charlie's 7 1/2 foot models later as well. We all know what Skip can do and what he did for the hobby.

Another story. We had club photo albums, lots of pictures. The person that kept it, his business was flooded due to hurricane Sandy that did tons of damage in NJ. Our photo albums were damaged beyond saving. We had someone that was doing our videography using the old fashion huge VHS recorder. We're talking the 80's and 90's now. He lived next door to David. Charlie happened to have most of the VHS tapes. He asked if anyone wanted them, nobody stepped up, so after a time he tossed them unbeknownst to me, ugh. Among those tapes was a promotional video that Skip, Charlie and another member Mike had made trying to tell people about the model boat hobby and the club. As far as I know it was never put out to the public. It had very humorous outtakes, and there was Skip being Skip! I'll never forget his laugh. So since the tapes were tossed, all that video was gone, or so I thought. Two hours after the November 18th Dive Tribe meeting I was contacted by the son of a since passed member, his dad. He had a copy of the video tape that I just mentioned! Being a copy, the quality is pretty poor, but the audio is great. He digitized it and sent it to me and I did my editing.

Blah, blah, blah. So I will start out this post with that video, from March of 1992.

• Alucard
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2023

Hi Ken, I loved the video, it shows how it all started unpolished, so it was real.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

I loved it, warts and all!
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albacore 569
        Commander
        • Sep 2020

Oh God I loved that.! It shows the fun friends and comradery that is important in our hobby. The New Jersey accents are priceless, it's the 'sub sopranos!' Buddy Bing, Budda Boom! I guess that means I have a California accent. lol
        Last edited by Albacore 569; 11-20-2023, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

What a treasure trove of film. I wonder whatever became of the Mr. Darby and Skips U-boat?
          Last edited by Das Boot; 11-19-2023, 04:15 PM.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

That was fun. Loved the humor and the nostalgia.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

The Type II I'm not sure about. The XXIII in the video in another thread someone said they have Skips's XXIII.

The Darby was Charlie's. When someone bought his CGC, they also bought his Darby. The buyer was from NY I think. Neither one of us heard from the buyer since they were bought.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Going to check this out when I get a moment.

Do you have the '91 Sayerville Sub Meet Video with Mike Dory AND Skip?

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

The person I got this from Ed said he had more VHS tapes. I told him I can digitize them. He has to dig them out and will let me know when he does. But what he has I do not know.

Comment

• Alucard
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2023

That would be great if they could find more, it's like being there as they started, maybe akin to original NASA journal's when they were trying to get to the Moon.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

These of course are not by me, figured I'd check for more video's of Skip.

This one looks like the beginnings of SubTech, taken at Groton.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

And another one of him explaining setting up his pitch controller.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

Can I have multiple video's in one post? Not obvious how to do that.

Just saw this one which I've not seen yet.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

I think this was my first time at Groton, 2015.

Comment

• Alucard
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Aug 2023

Now I just need some time to watch these, Thanks for posting

Comment

Working...