ST-TOS: Off topic, but.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015
    • 1204

    ST-TOS: Off topic, but.....

    And now, time for something completely different....

    Out of boredom, and possible escapism, plus the ever gnawing compulsion to see what other craftsman do, I tend to troll a lot of YouTube for building techniques, source material, and inspiration.

    Look, I agree this is way off topic, but I'm a fan and I'm sure there are more out here on this forum. So I had to share.

    What's incredible is the scale, much less the detail this guy is taking it to, and you think WE bite off more than we can chew?

    What can be done with some ingenuity, determination, and cardboard.

    Understand this is 1:25 Scale! USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701 (TOS) full interior (Based on the Franz Joseph Blueprints)

    Do you think he'll complete it? I'm really curious to follow this one through! Interesting to see what he does regarding the "Shuttle bay Size" and other issues. Lucky enough to find him only a month or so in the process.

    Check out these two video's from his link:

    I'm building the ENTIRE Starship Enterprise interior in MASSIVE 1:25 scale!

    Take us out Mr Sulu!

    Sorry, these things are what I watch at 0500 as the coffee kicks in.


    v/r "Sub" Ed

    Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019
    • 1821

    #2
    Originally posted by QuarterMaster
    And now, time for something completely different....

    Out of boredom, and possible escapism, plus the ever gnawing compulsion to see what other craftsman do, I tend to troll a lot of YouTube for building techniques, source material, and inspiration.

    Look, I agree this is way off topic, but I'm a fan and I'm sure there are more out here on this forum. So I had to share.

    What's incredible is the scale, much less the detail this guy is taking it to, and you think WE bite off more than we can chew?

    What can be done with some ingenuity, determination, and cardboard.

    Understand this is 1:25 Scale! USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701 (TOS) full interior (Based on the Franz Joseph Blueprints)

    Do you think he'll complete it? I'm really curious to follow this one through! Interesting to see what he does regarding the "Shuttle bay Size" and other issues. Lucky enough to find him only a month or so in the process.

    Check out these two video's from his link:

    I'm building the ENTIRE Starship Enterprise interior in MASSIVE 1:25 scale!

    Take us out Mr Sulu!

    Sorry, these things are what I watch at 0500 as the coffee kicks in.

    Fascinating Ed,

    This guy is really into his build! You got to admire his willingness to even take on such a huge complex build, and out of basic cardboard materials! As time permits like you I am going to follow this build! Thanks for sharing it Ed!

    Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

    Comment

    • QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015
      • 1204

      #3
      Originally posted by rwtdiver

      Fascinating Ed,

      This guy is really into his build! You got to admire his willingness to even take on such a huge complex build, and out of basic cardboard materials! As time permits like you I am going to follow this build! Thanks for sharing it Ed!

      Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat."
      I knew there was at least one fan out here! I'm hoping Dave chimes in as he does have professional experience with the franchise if memory serves, and he is as much a closet nerd as the rest of us. Capt Martin is, though more of a ST-TNG fan I think.

      Yes, a static model of EPIC proportions. Many of us started as static modelers.

      For me, it's always about the ship, which is MY favorite character in any movie or TV Franchise.
      v/r "Sub" Ed

      Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

      Comment

      • He Who Shall Not Be Named
        Moderator
        • Aug 2008
        • 12402

        #4
        Originally posted by QuarterMaster

        I knew there was at least one fan out here! I'm hoping Dave chimes in as he does have professional experience with the franchise if memory serves, and he is as much a closet nerd as the rest of us. Capt Martin is, though more of a ST-TNG fan I think.

        Yes, a static model of EPIC proportions. Many of us started as static modelers.

        For me, it's always about the ship, which is MY favorite character in any movie or TV Franchise.
        Yup.

        Built for a client about 35 years ago. Back when I was shooting 35mm slides. The poor quality of the photos here is because I had to convert to prints and then digitized -- much detail lost to three generations of image. Sucks, but what can you do?















































        Later, Ellie and I did a lot of miniature work for one of the ST movies and the Next Generation series.

        David​
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-05-2023, 09:15 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

        Comment

        • He Who Shall Not Be Named
          Moderator
          • Aug 2008
          • 12402

          #5
          ... and here's some of the miniature work we did for Paramount (through Greg Jein's outfit) in support of they're Star Trek The Next Generation series:































          Greg informed me that the ILM crew called us The Warp Engine Guy's by the third season.​
          Who is John Galt?

          Comment

          • JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017
            • 724

            #6
            Hi, question: David, 3rd picture, to right, am i looking at a LARGE Seaview?

            ST TNG, you were involved from day one? I am watching at your nacelles in MISSION FARPOINT?

            Awesome!

            Jörg

            Comment

            • He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Moderator
              • Aug 2008
              • 12402

              #7
              Originally posted by JHapprich
              Hi, question: David, 3rd picture, to right, am i looking at a LARGE Seaview?

              ST TNG, you were involved from day one? I am watching at your nacelles in MISSION FARPOINT?

              Awesome!

              Jörg
              Good eye, Jorg! Yup. That's the big effects miniature of the SEAVIEW. We were hired to do the much-needed restoration.













              No, I think they were just starting season two production when I got a phone call from Greg asking if Ellie and me could take some of the miniatures load -- he was getting shorter and shorter lead-time from the Art Director(s). As the assignments were presented to Greg, he found the need to hire third parties (like Ellie and me). He had to spread the load as the demand for new miniatures needed for specific episodes increased. He knew we could do complicated geometries on the fly -- my restoration work on a few old effects miniatures gave him the confidence to assign us the toughies his crew just could not complete in time. Money was good, but the time was critically short. Exciting, rewarding times!

              Who is John Galt?

              Comment

              • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                Moderator
                • Aug 2008
                • 12402

                #8
                culttvman, merriman 1701 - Bing images
                Who is John Galt?

                Comment

                Working...