X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

USS SHARK SSN-591 RC Submarine: Interactive 360Fly Camera Test

1:48 Scale SKIPJACK Class RC Submarine (DeBoer Hull)

2019-10-13 1st VR Camera Test, 360FLY. Lake Ronkonkoma NY
    A "Kraken Division"/SCLI Video Report

I finally got around to doing this.

Too be honest, I really wanted to try in Groton, but those two days were a blur. Plus the fact that with Rich Kohlbrecher's help, we had trimmed the SHARK to such perfection that I didn't want to take her out!

Now that it's done, I have mixed results.

The Good:
    Video: Running on the surface, very cool. Especially when you're among other RC watercraft. The interactive (panning around) is very cool.
    Sounds: Good Audio , you can hear the people ashore as well as the operation of machinery aboard SHARK.
    The air bubbling from the venting as she dives, and the Low Pressure Blower air pump or Gas blow when she surfaces. Good ears can probably get a turn count on the prop when she's submerged. Any Sonarmen out there??
    Trimming: The compensation foam wasn't bad, say 4in³ or so for allowance of the 360Fly itself. Need to have it higher somehow next time. Surfaced we had a port list of ~7° per the telemetry after seeing it visually. You do see this in the video. Funny that submerged it seemed fine as the roll telemetry came back 0° with the usual 3-4° banking in a turn at my "ghosting" along speed.

The Bad:
    Video submerged is not what I suspected, much less hoped for. At least here at this lake. Granted Lake Ronkonkoma is not the clearest, and perhaps the clarity is really just 14" in this lake based on the camera’s position and distance to the Sail. Makes sense because walking in and seeing the bottom is misleading, what you think is deep, really isn't. At scale this was equivalent to 60' lol. Another cause could be a lensing effect as the water passes by the "fisheye" lens of the camera. The model is moving, and the camera is pointing up, fairly close to the surface. But I by no means go at warp speed, I prefer "ghosting" along, and the lens of the camera averaged about 4" or so deep. Deep enough I would think as to not have any surface effect.

Now remember, these are interactive, 360° videos. Use your mouse to look all around as the play. Use it to keep an eye on RAYFISH at it sails in formation, where the boats headed, off the beam, astern, etc

What one would (should) expect (lol): New 4K Underwater 360 Action Camera

What we got. (No worries, I edited out over 15 minutes of submerged time):
    USS SHARK SSN-591 RC Submarine: Interactive 360Fly Camera Test

More experimentation is needed, therefore science marches on!
    AIn't this hobby the best'est?!?!

Now I have to search for clear waters, hopefully before PROTEUS is finished!
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 10-19-2019, 08:46 AM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Wow! Stunning performance of both submarine and camera. You're doing ground-breaking stuff here, Ed!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

I think it's awesome! You have all the nuts and bolts worked out- I think all you need is a good venue and plot.

Comment

• SubLiminal
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2019

It's a great looking Cinerama effect. The sky and clouds really snap, and the sounds really put you in the picture. It's like getting a ride on the deck and turning your head around to see what's going on.
        Next time, my boat, or anyone else's, will have to be really close, and perhaps one boat on each side in formation. We could work out the choreography ahead of time over breakfast.
        Well done!
        Ray

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

"Next time, my boat, or anyone else's, will have to be really close"
          I tried that with your boat-it was almost a disaster! oops sorry-I can't do Mode 4

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm not afraid to swap anti-foul paint. I got your close-up right here, pal (grabbing crotch!). See you at Groton, 2020.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Great video, Ed! I like the view from underwater of the periscope cutting surface in the "V". Beautiful stuff!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

It is really interesting the difference between surfaced range of view and submerged. I kept wanting to look down towards the bow when it was underwater. Excellent video and fun to look around.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubLiminal
                  It's a great looking Cinerama effect. The sky and clouds really snap, and the sounds really put you in the picture. It's like getting a ride on the deck and turning your head around to see what's going on.
                  Next time, my boat, or anyone else's, will have to be really close, and perhaps one boat on each side in formation. We could work out the choreography ahead of time over breakfast.
                  Well done!
                  Ray
                  Actually, you did get quite close Ray.

Shortly after submerging for the first time. At time stamp 2m49s, you actually hear a new motor noise, faster than mine, that lasts until 2m53s.

If you look aft at this time, you just make out the surface reflection and you see another ghost image, like a play of light, move from left to right.

Just before I dove, you see RAYFISH (or is it STING-RAY?) falling astern along my starboard side.After I dove I do remember you closing in and crossing my baffles from starboard to my port side then fell away.

We apparently captured it!
                  Last edited by QuarterMaster; 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM.
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    I'm not afraid to swap anti-foul paint. I got your close-up right here, pal (grabbing crotch!). See you at Groton, 2020.

David
                    They'll be a LOT's of opportunity!

I'm A/A FLANK on PROTEUS now. All other priorities rescinded! She will sail at GROTON.

I envision quite a few boats sailing over head and alongside. North Lake appears much better that time of year than Lake Ronkonkoma.

Since 1966 I wanted the POV from inside that bubble. Originally I had planned a GOPRO on a turntable to simulate Capt. Owens ability to swivel the pilot chair. Then I found the 360Fly, which allows the user to do it himself. It fit's PERFECTLY inside the bubble of Tesky's PROTEUS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PRT_Tnk.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	528.2 KB
ID:	134555

She'll be the perfect boat for this, a lot of planning and work over the years.
                    It tasks me. it tasks me and I shall have it! I'll chase it round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give it up.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Aug 2008

Step away slowly from the ST marathon, and no one will get hurt!
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

That is a cool idea! Hurry up and get that going, I want to see the video......waaaah!
                        Good stuff.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

So Ed, in viewing your Proteus picture, a story came to mind where an employee (the father of a guy I worked with there) at a major LI defense contracting firm was riding in an open vehicle(might have been a low riding tug) and there was a lead acid battery(being transported) on the floor under the seat. There was also a spray can of paint in an open tool compartment. The vehicle hit a bump and the spray can wound up falling onto the battery. The short circuit melted the side of the can and burst unto flames- my fiends father was a year recovering (and never fully)
                          Now I know that those batteries are dead and they are used as lead shot bags for weight-but I think the public service announcement for others reading this was warranted.

In those days employers were employers and the company found a position for C...... until his retirement.
                          Last edited by Bob Gato; 10-23-2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Bob,
                            I would have guessed those batteries are not dead, but used in Ed’s larger subs. Ed if you use battery lead, tell me more an how you do that? I have always been told lead acid lead was a horrible source.....inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

• Bob Gato
                              Captain
                              • Feb 2019

Ha-no, Tom.. sorry I meant that I think he uses them for gravity "clamps" when he lays up something in GRP or bends something to set ( and not as ballast)

But if I wanted to use a dead LA battery for ballast-I'd take them to the scrap yard , get my $5 for each ,then take the money and buy lead shot on line..
                              Last edited by Bob Gato; 10-23-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...