• trout
    replied
    OK that makes sense. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Bob,
    I would have guessed those batteries are not dead, but used in Ed’s larger subs. Ed if you use battery lead, tell me more an how you do that? I have always been told lead acid lead was a horrible source.....inquiring minds want to know!

Originally posted by Bob Gato
    Ha-no, Tom.. sorry I meant that I think he uses them for gravity "clamps" when he lays up something in GRP or bends something to set ( and not as ballast)

But if I wanted to use a dead LA battery for ballast-I'd take them to the scrap yard , get my $5 for each ,then take the money and buy lead shot on line..
    Bob is correct, I use defunct battery's for "gravity weights", supports, etc. Eventually, when too many accumulate, I recycle the extra's.

The only "battery ballast" I use onboard is the working battery.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    Ha-no, Tom.. sorry I meant that I think he uses them for gravity "clamps" when he lays up something in GRP or bends something to set ( and not as ballast)

But if I wanted to use a dead LA battery for ballast-I'd take them to the scrap yard , get my $5 for each ,then take the money and buy lead shot on line..
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 10-23-2019, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Bob,
    I would have guessed those batteries are not dead, but used in Ed’s larger subs. Ed if you use battery lead, tell me more an how you do that? I have always been told lead acid lead was a horrible source.....inquiring minds want to know!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    So Ed, in viewing your Proteus picture, a story came to mind where an employee (the father of a guy I worked with there) at a major LI defense contracting firm was riding in an open vehicle(might have been a low riding tug) and there was a lead acid battery(being transported) on the floor under the seat. There was also a spray can of paint in an open tool compartment. The vehicle hit a bump and the spray can wound up falling onto the battery. The short circuit melted the side of the can and burst unto flames- my fiends father was a year recovering (and never fully)
    Now I know that those batteries are dead and they are used as lead shot bags for weight-but I think the public service announcement for others reading this was warranted.

In those days employers were employers and the company found a position for C...... until his retirement.
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 10-23-2019, 06:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    That is a cool idea! Hurry up and get that going, I want to see the video......waaaah!
    Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Step away slowly from the ST marathon, and no one will get hurt!

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    I'm not afraid to swap anti-foul paint. I got your close-up right here, pal (grabbing crotch!). See you at Groton, 2020.

David
    They'll be a LOT's of opportunity!

I'm A/A FLANK on PROTEUS now. All other priorities rescinded! She will sail at GROTON.

I envision quite a few boats sailing over head and alongside. North Lake appears much better that time of year than Lake Ronkonkoma.

Since 1966 I wanted the POV from inside that bubble. Originally I had planned a GOPRO on a turntable to simulate Capt. Owens ability to swivel the pilot chair. Then I found the 360Fly, which allows the user to do it himself. It fit's PERFECTLY inside the bubble of Tesky's PROTEUS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PRT_Tnk.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	528.2 KB
ID:	134555

She'll be the perfect boat for this, a lot of planning and work over the years.
    It tasks me. it tasks me and I shall have it! I'll chase it round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give it up.

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by SubLiminal
    It's a great looking Cinerama effect. The sky and clouds really snap, and the sounds really put you in the picture. It's like getting a ride on the deck and turning your head around to see what's going on.
    Next time, my boat, or anyone else's, will have to be really close, and perhaps one boat on each side in formation. We could work out the choreography ahead of time over breakfast.
    Well done!
    Ray
    Actually, you did get quite close Ray.

Shortly after submerging for the first time. At time stamp 2m49s, you actually hear a new motor noise, faster than mine, that lasts until 2m53s.

If you look aft at this time, you just make out the surface reflection and you see another ghost image, like a play of light, move from left to right.

Just before I dove, you see RAYFISH (or is it STING-RAY?) falling astern along my starboard side.After I dove I do remember you closing in and crossing my baffles from starboard to my port side then fell away.

We apparently captured it!
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    It is really interesting the difference between surfaced range of view and submerged. I kept wanting to look down towards the bow when it was underwater. Excellent video and fun to look around.

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Great video, Ed! I like the view from underwater of the periscope cutting surface in the "V". Beautiful stuff!

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    I'm not afraid to swap anti-foul paint. I got your close-up right here, pal (grabbing crotch!). See you at Groton, 2020.

David

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    "Next time, my boat, or anyone else's, will have to be really close"
    I tried that with your boat-it was almost a disaster! oops sorry-I can't do Mode 4

Leave a comment:

• SubLiminal
    replied
    It's a great looking Cinerama effect. The sky and clouds really snap, and the sounds really put you in the picture. It's like getting a ride on the deck and turning your head around to see what's going on.
    Next time, my boat, or anyone else's, will have to be really close, and perhaps one boat on each side in formation. We could work out the choreography ahead of time over breakfast.
    Well done!
    Ray

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gato
    replied
    I think it's awesome! You have all the nuts and bolts worked out- I think all you need is a good venue and plot.

Leave a comment:

Working...