X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Battleship NJ drydock tour

Saturday April 13th at 1pm Carol and I did the drydock of the battleship NJ at the former Philadelphia Navy yard. The battleship was in drydock 3 where she was completed in 1942. She was built in the slipway a few hundred feet from drydock 3, but the slipway has since been filled in and is now a parking lot. These pics are from Carol's phone. She took 60 pictures, I took 163. I also had a Gopro on my hardhat and my Sony Handycam. The hardhats where 'gifts' to those people that did the drydock tour. We also had to have protective eye-ware and steel tipped shoes. After the safety briefing we headed to the drydock where the NJ was brought in fantail first. There's plenty of video on Youtube of bringing the NJ into the drydock. We had 2 docents with us. The first one giving us an explanation of the ship and what was going on in the drydock. The other one brought up the end, making sure we stay on track. I was usually last taking pictures and video and gawking at what I was seeing. The drydock is 43 feet deep, 1,011 feet long and 144 feet wide and built in 1921. The bottom edges were covered in plywood. I suspect that is where the water was drained out into the pump house adjacent to the drydock.

Anyway, here are some pictures to start.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AIMG_4344 copy.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	179487

This shot is from between the two skegs of the inboard props.

Name:	BIMG_4355 copy.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	179479

A bilge keel. Note the plywood on the drydock deck. That line on the hull is where zinc's where, they are being removed and replaced with aluminum cathodic protection.

Name:	CIMG_4363 copy.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	179483

Interesting view down the starboard side of the ship.

Name:	DIMG_4368 copy.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	179482

There use to be paravane equipment on the hull behind me, but was removed decades ago at one of the reactivations.

Name:	EIMG_4376 copy.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	179480

Name:	FIMG_4377 copy.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	179478

You feel very tiny standing next to the NJ.

Name:	GIMG_4381 copy.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	179477

Name:	HIMG_4383 copy.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	179481

Name:	IIMG_4384 copy.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	179484

Name:	JIMG_4386 copy.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	179485

If you follow the battleship NJ Youtube channel you will see Ryan. He posts a video almost everyday. and explains all about what they are doing in drydock and many many things about the ship. Been following this channels for years. Here is me and Ryan.

Name:	KIMG_4392 copy.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	179486

Will post more as I go thru the pictures and resize them for the forum. Eventually I'll process the video as well.

What an awesome and impressive tour of the ship this was. I'll never have an opportunity like this ever again.
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Thank you, Ken!

Thanks for taking the time to take such great photos, and posting them on our forum.! :-))

Looking forward to seeing more.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

I’m rather surprised the screws are still on the ship. I would’ve figured they would have been removed, and put on display instead of leaving them attached never seen. Nice photos.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
        I’m rather surprised the screws are still on the ship. I would’ve figured they would have been removed, and put on display instead of leaving them attached never seen. Nice photos.
        No need for jacking-gear (because of the four skeg/sub-keels), means no need to yank the screws.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

Here's the video answer to that question.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

Another video on the NJ's propellors.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

And a video about locking the propellor shafts.

There must have been many many spare parts made to support this class of ships. I wonder what still may exist and where?
              Last edited by Ken_NJ; 04-22-2024, 05:18 AM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Last one about propeller shaft seals.

Comment

• Davjacva
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2022

Ken, that is totally awesome!!! BB-62 is the only one of the four I haven't seen yet. I follow that guy on Youtube and he does a great job getting down in the minutiae sometimes. The first time I saw an Iowa-Class, it was the Iowa, and after Desert Storm is was in Norfolk. Shortly later, the Wisconsin was in. The gym I worked out at on the navy base was near the carrier piers so I'd drive down the waterfront and see what's in. One day, both the Iowa and Wisconsin were in. They were really spectacular to look at then for a particular reason. They were completely loaded out and didn't have much freeboard on the sides. They really sat low in the water. About 5 years later I'd see the Missouri when she was out in Bremerton in mothballs on our way to inspect subs up at Bangor. One time we saw it, spent about a week at Bangor, then went to San Diego for a few days, then we went out to Hawaii...and there she was. They had moved her during that 2 1/2 week interlude to become an exhibit. The next year I was on the Rickover and every time we'd pull in, sometimes at the shipyard, other times at the navy base, the Wisconsin would be across from us. It was really weird, and we didn't know what was going on with her. She looked way different as she was high in the water. So I went out to sea and we came back and she was finally gone. That weekend, we went to visit an elderly friend who lived at Harbor View, which is a set of high-rise condos in downtown Norfolk and I look out her living room window to gaze at the spectacular view of downtown Norfolk and Portsmouth across the river and I see...gray and nothing else unless you looked at the sky. They had moved it to Nauticus and it was next door. She was complaining about the loss of view and she eventually moved. Crazy. Awesome that you got to see it. There's a great story and video online when the Missouri got stuck on Thimble shoals for a few weeks. The new captain had been a sub captain before. Really spectacular story about getting her back off again. The Wisconsin got stuck there too, but not as dramatic (or stupid) as the Missouri.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                    Commander
                    • Sep 2020

Why the need ot wear steel tipped shoes?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Jake, thanks for the stories. Always good to hear stories like that. I did read and see videos about the Missouri grounding.

Steve, probably an OHSHA thing. For those that did not have steel tipped shoes like Carol, they supplied them. Oddly enough, she said they were a bit awkward to walk in. To make it worse, the steps leading into & out of the drydock had short treads, so going up the steps made it pretty funky. Even for me with size 13 shoes going up I had to watch my step.

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

Well, that certainly answered my question. Thanks, Ken.
                        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

Besides the NJ, I was fascinated by the drydock itself. Here's a view of the shipyard from 1948.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aerial-view-of-philadelphia-naval-shipyard-in-march-1948-PC434Y.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.9 KB ID:	179543

I could not find much online about the slipways except what was here.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philad...s_and_slipways

The NJ was built in either slipway two or three which is noted below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aerial-view-of-philadelphia-naval-shipyard-in-march-1948-PC434Y copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	179544

Judging by the marking on drydock 3 walls, I'd say it is 50 feet deep. The NJ draws about 35 feet. Here she is sitting in the drydock on top of the approximately 5 feet of blocks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A1 IMG_3975.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	179542

You can see the steps we had to walk down. In some older photos I saw what might have been an elevator at the end of the drydock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B1 IMG_3860.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	179545

Steps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C1 IMG_3874.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	179548

Click image for larger version  Name:	D1 IMG_3937.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.6 KB ID:	179546

The end of the drydock. Note the depth markings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E1 IMG_3873.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	179549

The caisson which closes off the drydock from the river. Pretty amazing that caisson holds back the river. In the lower left water was pouring in. Any water collects in the pool at the picture bottom then is pumped back into the river somewhere.

The caisson can be filled with water. Once the ship is in place the caisson is floated into the drydock opening, then water is pumped in causing the caisson to sink into position. I wonder if and what the seals are to seal the caisson to the drydock? Maybe an interlocking series of slots of some sort? I don't know. Once the caisson is in position, divers go in to make sure the ship is sitting properly on the blocks. Maybe they also use a survey method for this as well?

Click image for larger version  Name:	F1 IMG_3943.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	179547

Click image for larger version  Name:	G1 IMG_3942.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	179554

Click image for larger version  Name:	H1 IMG_3944.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	179555

Click image for larger version  Name:	I1 IMG_3945.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	179556

Click image for larger version  Name:	J1 IMG_3946.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	179553

Click image for larger version  Name:	K1 IMG_3949.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	179550

Click image for larger version  Name:	L1 IMG_3950.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	179552

This working crane should be pretty old. When the ship was being brought in, this crane held a line from the capstan and it was passed to the ship and secured. That one line pulled the ship into the drydock. Tugboats held the ship in line with the drydock keeping it straight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	M1 IMG_3973.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	179551

Click image for larger version  Name:	N1 IMG_3974.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	179558

This is the capstan that pulled the NJ into the drydock. It's maybe 4 feet or so in diameter. It's located across the street that goes past the drydock. The road is blocked off while the capstan is in operation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	O1 IMG_3976.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	179557

Here's the capstan with the rope pulling the NJ in. The rope is stored on a cart and looks well taken care of since it is pulling in a 50,000 ton ship.

Click image for larger version  Name:	O2 Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 4.58.28 AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	179561

You can see the rope pulling the NJ in. Tugs are on the port side to keep the ship stable. There was a ship to the starboard so they had to stay on the port side. There are plenty of Youtube videos that you can watch this process. They had line handlers on each side of the ship that would secure side lines to bollards as the ship was being pulled in keeping her centered. The side of the drydock also has tires as rollers to keep her away from the drydock walls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	O3 Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 4.58.04 AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	179560

Click image for larger version  Name:	O4 Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 4.59.01 AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	179562

Here you can see the capstan (yellow). The old slipway she was built on is on the other side of the building (orange). The building at the bottom I believe is the drydock pump house (pink).

Click image for larger version  Name:	O5 Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 5.02.59 AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	179563

I'd love to get a tour of the drydock & pump house with explanations how it all works.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Ken_NJ; 04-23-2024, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

Battleship NJ survives an east coast earthquake while in drydock.

Comment

• JHapprich
                              Captain
                              • Oct 2017

This is so impressive!

In 2011, i was allowed visiting the expedition ship "Polarstern", drydocked at Bremerhaven. One of the ships Senior electricians gave us a private tour from top to keel. The dock itself must have been dating back to the early 20th century, shaped to hold Dreadnoughts of the Imperial German Navy. Quite a view with the "tiny" Polarstern in it!

Now that dockyard is simply another league!

Jörg

Comment

Working...