Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

I mentioned this last night in Bob’s thread “yesterday’s work”, This launcher is capable of launching both the electric torpedoes I posted in the G7 torpedo thread as well as gas propelled torpedoes that I haven’t posted about yet.

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
      George,

This demonstration was using one of the Lee company solenoids. I was triggering it with a 3.7v LiPo. The part number is LHDA0521211H.

The forward part of the torpedo shutter is hinged to the hull. This is how the Arkmodels type VIIC kit comes. It would a similar to how the full-size type VII’s shutters were hinged. The shutters are opened by the torpedo tube’s muzzle door just like the real type VII’s. The muzzle doors and shutters are linked together. The main difference between the full-size subs mechanism and this model version is the pin and slot for the muzzle door to shutter door is opposite from full-size due to the Arkmodels kit already having a tab molded onto the inside of the shutter door towards the rear of the door. I decided to work with this feature than against it. The goal was to develop a launch mechanism for the kit that dropped into place without needing to cut or modify the kit. The only modification that was needed was drilling a small 1/16” hole in the right spot for the upper tube muzzle door to pass through the bulkhead.

Hope this helps,

Nick

PS I should mention that the Arkmodels kit is very good quality. A handful of careful small corrections needed to be made to the the shutter doors to get them to swing open and closed accurately enough to work with the precise movement of the launchers muzzle doors. This was to reduce friction and make everything operate smoothly.
      Thank You for the reply and information.
      I really like the way the sub hull door works.
      Thanks for sharing.
      George

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Thanks George anytime

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

This will be my last post. Leaving this forum. Thank you David for your hospitality and helpful wisdom, you’re awesome! Bob gato thank you for your constant inspiration and helpful feedback. I hope you get your shop put back together soon so you can continue your work. Your awesome! I don’t think I fit here which is why I’m leaving. I will continue to post on the RC submarine forum on FB for now. Thanks guys, be well. Over and out

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	images (8).jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	144675
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

I don’t think I fit here which is why I’m leaving.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1doj5q.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	144677

Comment

• george
                Captain
                • Dec 2010

This will be my last post. Leaving this forum. Thank you David for your hospitality and helpful wisdom, you’re awesome! Bob gato thank you for your constant inspiration and helpful feedback. I hope you get your shop put back together soon so you can continue your work. Your awesome! I don’t think I fit here which is why I’m leaving. I will continue to post on the RC submarine forum on FB for now. Thanks guys, be well. Over and out
                Sorry to hear you are leaving. Variety is Very important here for us all. Your work is Very interesting. You will be missed here.
                On F.B what is your "handle"? I would like to continue to follow your work if you don`t mind.
                George

Comment

• Bob Gato
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2019

Crap nick-I don't do Facebook!! You will be missed big time...if you must leave; come on over to RC Groups...There are subs. scale boats, sail.. even a steam thread -almost every thing you can think of-I will totally miss your innovation and building skills...stay safe my friend...(don't go to the "Dark Side")
                  Last edited by Bob Gato; 10-25-2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Nick,

Please, post here anytime.

George put it well: "Variety is very important here".

You, Nick; you incredible Machinist; you and your posts have provided us a wonderful, well presented, exacting, and successful demonstration of how to make the most difficult things a reality.

I've learned so much from you, as have the rest of this mob of ugly, unwashed, non-conforming, knuckle-dragging goons who have taken refuge in this forum.

There will always be a place at the head of the table for you here, Nick.

Please reconsider. I promise to behave.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Wow. Well I’m both flattered and embarrassed.

Thank you guys. You’re an interesting bunch of talented misfits.

I joined this forum less than a year ago when I decided to pick up submarine building again. Hadn’t touched a sub project in 15 years and way before that when they were still in business, my hopes were to build one of the 32nd Parallel fleet sub after meeting a talented builder in New Jersey named Bud Leaderer who built one. I wasn’t sure what to expect joining this forum let alone one based on the topic of submarines. On the outside looking in at the forum and some of the posts made, I quickly recognized some veteran builders names on here that I’ve seen over the last decade and longer. Mr. Meriman being one of them. It can be a bit intimidating to be surrounded by such a talented international group builders.

Having been a life long scale and steam powered boat model builder I was very active years ago on the forum model boat mayhem, RC groups as well as a few others but I just about completely walked away from the hobby and the forums for the last decade. Just returning this year.

Although scale RC boat building was never as popular as RC cars and flying RC thingies, I do recall back then the participation on those sites from other forum members was very active and helpful. Everyone had something to say.

I have really appreciated the feedback, participation and helpful advice that a handful of you have contributed to the posts I have been making on this forum. I’ve learned a lot from you guys. The suggestions you guys make, may not sink into my thick head right away but they do sink in a pop up in memory often.

Not being a veteran sub model builder by any means nor a long term member of this forum, I’ve questioned myself now a couple times whether the posts I’ve been making on here are being enjoyed by more than just the folks who obviously do get something from it as shown by their comments and their contributions of knowledge to the topic.

After making a post or multiple in a row, with no input, positive, neutral or negative from others, my own self consciousness starts to think maybe I might be a motor mouth wind bag in a field of crickets hahaha.

Again I am new here and not accustomed to what the norm is so I have no idea.

I’m humbled by your guy’s responses and I will try not to over think wind bag and cricket situations in the future.

Best Regards,

Nick
                      Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 10-25-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• vital.spark
                        Commander
                        • May 2010

Nick, I've built 2 full sized steam launches and a model of the first so we have a lot in common! You've been able to accomplish something not even the greatest in our hobby have been able to achieve! Just because you haven't received numerous pats on the back doesn't mean you aren't 110% followed and appreciated!! Keep up the good work dear friend and keep us posted on a regular basis.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

OK, take these observations from a world class wind-bag:

I long ago learned to suffer gracefully the deafening silence after one of my epic posts went up on the forum(s). The Internet is not my first rodeo: I had good training in other mediums, article writing, TV and even some movies (one must sell one's self to the effects people if they are to give you a crack at practical miniature making -- letter writing is its own very special form of communications). These were exercises that sharpened my writing ability and stage-craft, and steeled me for the cricket sounds to follow, no matter how well I performed.

I used to write a great deal for the various 'model magazines' and books that proliferated in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Nearly a hundred published in-depth construction articles, many of them pieces that featured on the publications cover. For nearly two decades I was hot stuff. Yet, through the years I hardly heard one ****ing word from anyone! My TV and movie work, same thing. Nothing!

What I'm getting to, Nick, is that there is a lot more interested eye's out there than you know. Your work is important, appreciated (in silence most of the time), and vital if this Craft is to continue and grow. We owe it to those who taught and inspired us to do what we do today. We have an obligation to pass it all on. You, me, and the other keepers of the flame, Nick. We're the Masters these Journeymen need to study under so that they, in their time, will pass on the Craft to their students.

Told you I was a wind-bag!

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

After making a post or multiple in a row, with no input, positive, neutral or negative from others, my own self consciousness starts to think maybe I might be a motor mouth wind bag in a field of crickets hahaha.

Nick
                            No, everyboby was just blown speechless (textless) by your incredible work. lol.

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Nick,

Since you build miniature steam engines powered model
                              boats has anyone ever tried building a steam powered
                              Confederate torpedo boat CSS DAVID? While not a true submarine able to fully dive it had onboard ballast tanks that took the boat to deck awash. Click image for larger version

Name:	images (9).jpeg
Views:	563
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	144722

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2020

Well god d@&$ if David did not say it best. I was Fortunate enough to serve on the USS Pampanito as a restoration hand.Rebuilt many things including the torpedoes. And Served on the Ss Jeremih O’Brien in the early 90’s under some of the original crew. Was part of the crew and was the Oiler on the JOb for the 50 year anniversary sail of the liberation of France. My captain Jean Paul and was an amazing mentor. Miss him dearly to this day

Comment

Working...