What Acrylic paint?? (Dave IS here man....ala Chong).

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

What Acrylic paint?? (Dave IS here man....ala Chong).

Dave,

is last night DT meeting (2022-04-21), you mentioned your love of Acrylics, from Walmart(?).

What Brand and Colors?

Jar, Rattle can?

For the record, I always loved acrylics myself.

Thanks in advance!

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
    Dave,

is last night DT meeting (2022-04-21), you mentioned your love of Acrylics, from Walmart(?).

What Brand and Colors?

Jar, Rattle can?

For the record, I always loved acrylics myself.

Thanks in advance!
    For touch-up work and weathering effects (and the occasional Commie markings). NOT YOUR PRIMARY PAINT!!!! The base primer and paint has to be industrial strength, i.e. automotive refinishing product.

Whatever brand of acrylic Walmart is pushing this week will work.

You need black, white, and the primary colors (red, blue, yellow), and a color-wheel to help you color-match. Thin and clean with tap water. When spraying put a drop of liquid soap in the mix to prevent fish-eye.

Also useful when thinned down and used as 'ink' for simple line detailing such as the draft markings on Soviet submarines.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

What do you call that adjustable metal pen you use to paint the draft lines?
      Last edited by redboat219; 04-22-2022, 11:44 AM.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Found it, a ruling pen.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by redboat219
          Found it, a ruling pen.
          Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy (ala George Takei)

I haven't seen that since the Engineering Drafting course for my Electromechanical Drafting Certificate back in college!

I actually did very little Mechanical Design early on as I broke into PCB Design with Hand taping 2:1 Artworks at my first job.

Though not to the level of or resident Luddite, I still prefer a good old 2D 3rd angle Orthographic drawing! Miss the Parallel Rule, Triangles, 2mm Lead Pencils/Sharpeners and old drawing powder bags we tossed at each other when angry.

It was only a year ago DDC was cleaning out it's old Drafting cabinets and I grabbed a bunch of templates, colored pencils and an Electric Eraser. Beth didn't believe me there was such a thing as an Electric Eraser! Sue still giggles about it, but she never had to modify miles of sepia paper!

Back in the day when someone ****ed you off, you'd dump that Graphite dust from the pencil sharpener into the windings of the Electric eraser causing it to spark and fail (a fellow designer), or sprinkle it on an first run PCB article (for the hated EE) as it would create hard to find shorts between conductors or pins on fine pitch devices. What fun!

With all that PCB/PWB hand-taping experience I can pinstripe a car!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane guys!!
          v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Some of that paint is really thick. Get a good flow improver so as not to stop up your airbrush. I learned the hard way.
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• wlambing
              Commander
              • Nov 2020

More fun was to be had by taking the eraser insert, extending it out full length in the chuck, and then chasing the QM around Control with the "Woggly-Spinny QM Beater"! Midwatch entertainment of the highest order, eh, Ed!!!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by wlambing
                More fun was to be had by taking the eraser insert, extending it out full length in the chuck, and then chasing the QM around Control with the "Woggly-Spinny QM Beater"! Midwatch entertainment of the highest order, eh, Ed!!!
                That's just not cricket COB!

At least I didn't end up like a non-qual "A" Ganger that was convinced to check his pain tolerance by putting his thumbs in at that vice they had at their watch station in M/L Missile! After he was secure, they dropped his drawers and left him there! I heard the shenanigans stopped when Weaps walked by! There were some things even I wasn't stoopid enough to fall for!!!
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...