How do you control max and min water levels in ballast tank?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny Depth
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2023

How do you control max and min water levels in ballast tank?

I have a Pressure Pump Ballast System with a surprisingly strong gear water pump that rapidly fills and empties my ballast tank.
    It is so strong that in a test filling a soda bottle with water, it blew the lid right off.

I do not use a valve. As a safety mechanism, I allow the built-up pressure in the ballast tank to force out the water passively. So yes, my sub stays submerged for only as long as I run the pump.

When I actively operate the pump to blow the ballast tank, the pump will pump all the water out and then start pumping the air out! The problem that this creates indirectly is that once I stop operating the pump, the vacuum created sucks water back into the ballast tank and we don't want that. The only way I have to tell that I should stop operating the pump is either when the sub emerges or when I see bubbles of air indicating that a vacuum is being created.

How can I detect full and empty in order to stop the pump? I've read some things referring to probes in the ballast tank but what are they? Where can you find them? How do you make them? Is there a better way?

Even if I switch to a peristaltic pump I would still need to detect when the tank was full or empty.

I would very much appreciate any help or advice in solving this problem.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Vent the tank. That keeps the tank at close to the ambient pressure, no matter what. You won't be able to hover or empty the tank with the vent under water, but you can't have everything in such a small package.

Engage pragmatism cells, my friend; don't let complexity rule over objective. Sometimes the smart thing to do is choose the well-traveled road. Don't trust pressure sensors -- you have all the makings of a busted water-balloon if it fails.

Or just slap a pressure relief valve in there and hope for the best.
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-11-2024, 04:10 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_40797 (2).jpg Views:	4 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	177521 Click image for larger version  Name:	P8150022.jpg Views:	4 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	177522
      ballast tank rom Bob Gaito's Gato class (top) and Atlantis tour sub ( bottom)

RC Shipyard Vented Ballast tank using a solenoid valve
      Last edited by redboat219; 01-11-2024, 08:36 PM.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Need to swap out the buzzer for a relay switch to stop the pump when tank is full.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Check out DrSchmidt's Fantasy Neptune
          Got a bit tired designing scale models on scarce info. So I took raw dimensions of a class 209 boat and got crazy with the rest. Those are the results:

He used a tiny float switch to shut off the pump when the tank was full
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240112_075507_Chrome.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	177526
          Attached Files

Comment

• Johnny Depth
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Oct 2023

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            Vent the tank. That keeps the tank at close to the ambient pressure, no matter what. You won't be able to hover or empty the tank with the vent under water, but you can't have everything in such a small package.

Engage pragmatism cells, my friend; don't let complexity rule over objective. Sometimes the smart thing to do is choose the well-traveled road. Don't trust pressure sensors -- you have all the makings of a busted water-balloon if it fails.

Or just slap a pressure relief valve in there and hope for the best.
            Thanks very much.
            Is there a specific pressure relief valve that people commonly use?

Comment

• Johnny Depth
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Oct 2023

Originally posted by redboat219
              Click image for larger version Name:	image_40797 (2).jpg Views:	4 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	177521 Click image for larger version Name:	P8150022.jpg Views:	4 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	177522
              ballast tank rom Bob Gaito's Gato class (top) and Atlantis tour sub ( bottom)

RC Shipyard Vented Ballast tank using a solenoid valve
              https://youtu.be/RqnxuMlmhkA?si=p1wM5ERPM3xRyeDQ
              Thanks very much!

The diagram calls for a float valve, a check valve, a pressure switch, and a solenoid valve. Are there specific ones that people commonly use in their subs?

Comment

• Johnny Depth
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Oct 2023

Originally posted by redboat219
                Need to swap out the buzzer for a relay switch to stop the pump when tank is full.
                Excellent! This looks like exactly what I am looking for!
                Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...