X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rhino
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Aug 2022

Tips for recessing MBT vents?

Hi there, I’m working on installing the MBT vents on my first build, a Permit. Anyone have any recommendations on how best to install them flush with the hull?

thank you,

Ryan
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rhino
    Hi there, I’m working on installing the MBT vents on my first build, a Permit. Anyone have any recommendations on how best to install them flush with the hull?

thank you,

Ryan
    The object of the game is to get the high-relief MBT disc (usually about .005" thick) to fit a circular depression atop the hull; that depression of the same depth. That done with a drill spun face-reamer -- an unfortunate term -- at very slow speed. Note: the work done while the hull is still at the primer-gray stage... I only had a completed model on hand for the photo. Sue me!

Here is an array of various sized MBTV face-reamers I've turned and milled over the years. Note the teeth at the face, and use of a central arbor pin to hold the tool steady as it gouges into the surface of the hull.

The arbor pin is removable (wild) and permits initial cutting of the teeth and re-sharpening (for the brass ones, the Stainless ones last forever) of the teeth should the need arise.

David
    The Magnificent​
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-29-2023, 11:44 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rhino
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Aug 2022

Thanks David. Face reamer eh, agree unfortunate term. Appreciate you taking the time to break this down for me, going to look to see what I can acquire, it’s an interesting set of bits I do t have in my cache of tools yet. In my rookie haste, I drilled a few pilot holes for the MBT vents off center, thinking I’ll file those pain-stakingly to correct, most of the others are good

thanks,

Ryan the rookie

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rhino
        Thanks David. Face reamer eh, agree unfortunate term. Appreciate you taking the time to break this down for me, going to look to see what I can acquire, it’s an interesting set of bits I do t have in my cache of tools yet. In my rookie haste, I drilled a few pilot holes for the MBT vents off center, thinking I’ll file those pain-stakingly to correct, most of the others are good

thanks,

Ryan the rookie
        Don't think for a nano-second I got this **** right the first time. Just fix the current horror and do the job right. Baking soda and CA are your friend here.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

would this work? Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1) (4).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	169062
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Rhino
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Aug 2022

Filling the holes in and starting again is a great ideas rather than messing around filing it right, will try that, thanks again.

Redboat, thanks for the tool tips.

Comment

• Albacore 569
              Commander
              • Sep 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	GyNBCzk.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	169099 to
              (ABOVE)I had a cool idea once maybe someone can try. Operational looking MBT's by buying at hardware a set of those tiny water misters people would buy to cool off in the hot sun tanning. Run flexible tubing under the inside of the upper fiber glass hull, have servo open a valve and release extra propel air brush propellant we use to blow our model ballast tanks and the jet geysers will look hopefully like the real thing when a SSBN or SSN dives. It's a bit added complication but... Might give the regatta judges a hard on??? LOL.

(BELOW) Maybe this isn't what you had in mind. But I simply made my MBT vents as dry transfers. Silver aluminum and brass like center roundels. Simple, consistent looking. Model of the USS Permit SSN 594 1/96 scale static model I built for the Vallejo Naval & Historical museum of Mare Island build SSN's. She is displayed there nextmy 1/96 USS Scamp SSN - 588 in Vallejo California (near the former Mare Island NSY)

SteveClick image for larger version  Name:	KNcjVjJ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	169096Click image for larger version  Name:	58cjmrf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	169097Click image for larger version  Name:	YXHWQrn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	169098
              Last edited by Albacore 569; 01-30-2023, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Nickel plated grommets Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230131_083151_Shopee.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	169103

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Albacore 569

(BELOW) Maybe this isn't what you had in mind. But I simply made my MBT vents as dry transfers. Silver aluminum and brass like center roundels. Simple, consistent looking. Model of the USS Permit SSN 594 1/96 scale static model I built for the Vallejo Naval & Historical museum of Mare Island build SSN's. She is displayed there nextmy 1/96 USS Scamp SSN - 588 in Vallejo California (near the former Mare Island NSY)

SteveClick image for larger version Name:	KNcjVjJ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	169096Click image for larger version Name:	58cjmrf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	169097Click image for larger version Name:	YXHWQrn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	169098
                  There's an article in Finescale Modelers about building a resin LA class SSN by HWSNBN. He used Bare metal foil cut with brass tubing to replicate the MBT vents.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version Name:	GyNBCzk.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	169099 to
                      (ABOVE)I had a cool idea once maybe someone can try. Operational looking MBT's by buying at hardware a set of those tiny water misters people would buy to cool off in the hot sun tanning. Run flexible tubing under the inside of the upper fiber glass hull, have servo open a valve and release extra propel air brush propellant we use to blow our model ballast tanks and the jet geysers will look hopefully like the real thing when a SSBN or SSN dives. It's a bit added complication but... Might give the regatta judges a hard on??? LOL.

Comment

• Rhino
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Aug 2022

Awesome idea about making function mbt’s. And thanks for the tips on making the covers. I fortunetly have the MBT covers, they came with what I picked up from Bob at the dry docks, I’m working on making sure there recessed a tad more so there flush.

beautiful work on the models you shared Albacore, great reference for me.

thanks David and Redboat for your insight too. Will post some pics of my progress shortly.
                        Last edited by Rhino; 01-30-2023, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• wlambing
                          Commander
                          • Nov 2020

Just a word about weathering, if you so choose to do to your boat; over time the silver color of the copper-nickel flange (the ring with the bolt holes in it) yellows somewhat. So, it doesn't stay shiny, but silver with a yellow-brown tinge to it. The valve disc is a bronze alloy that patinas to a brownish-green. More brown than green. Of course, if you're building a functional boat, the discs would be drilled out for all of the upper vents to aid in submergence. The only ones not drilled would be those low on the bow, like the Home MBTs on US 594 and 637 Classes.
                          Last edited by wlambing; 01-31-2023, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                            Commander
                            • Sep 2020

Be sure the MBT functional misters are a separate system from the propel used in the HP Blow function for the WTC Ballast. One system would be cosmetic, the other mission critical.

The system in the toy looks like a better idea. but have to then use 8 of these things? The better idea being no propel to discharge and alter the trim of the sub model Id think.
                            Last edited by Albacore 569; 01-31-2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Be sure the MBT functional misters are a separate system from the propel used in the HP Blow function for the WTC Ballast. One system would be cosmetic, the other mission critical.

The system in the toy looks like a better idea. but have to then use 8 of these things? The better idea being no propel to discharge and alter the trim of the sub model Id think.
                              When Ellie and I were developing practical effects for various productions we once devised an eductor that shot a fount of foggy water into the air with a squirt of HP air within a venturi; the vacuum side of the venturi pulled pool water up and into the air. The effect was a sudden plume of water representing an exploding torpedo. The Producer dropped the project during the 'pre-production' phase.
                              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-31-2023, 02:52 PM.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...