X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Securing WTCs

What options are there for securing WTC/WTCs inside a model sub-I have used velcro in the past...this time I am looking for something a little more fumbley finger friendly...maybe stainless steel springs inside Tygon tubing to hold a cylindrical WTC in the cradle?
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Bob,

I have tried different methods. 3D printed saddles with tabs one mounted on the hull bottom and the top saddle mounted to the bottom with two screws and threaded inserts! That was a hassle, so I just went back to the Velcro, and it works great for me! I fold the end under and glue it with adhesive so that it gives me something to get my fingers on then the Velcro comes apart easier!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

rubber-bands.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

Velcro strips.
        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• JHapprich
          Captain
          • Oct 2017

Bolts and nuts. Haha. Very fingerfriendly. I like it complicated.

Take a look at my MIKE build. Semi-circular plastic clamps bolted to the hull. Wtc slides in. One or two locking screws to secure the wtc against turning and shifting.
          Last edited by JHapprich; 03-28-2022, 03:51 AM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            rubber-bands.
            Rubber bands are probably the easiest and I have used them for surface boats (keeping a lipo in a battery tray)-but I have found that the rubber has a short shelf life and degrades to a hard and cracked disappointment stuck to whatever it was holding.-is there a rubber band made out of something more durable? in my Gas powered Egg Harbor-I use O-rings to hold the fuel tank (not stretchy enough for repeated on and off though)...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bob Gato

Rubber bands are probably the easiest and I have used them for surface boats (keeping a lipo in a battery tray)-but I have found that the rubber has a short shelf life and degrades to a hard and cracked disappointment stuck to whatever it was holding.-is there a rubber band made out of something more durable? in my Gas powered Egg Harbor-I use O-rings to hold the fuel tank (not stretchy enough for repeated on and off though)...
              Small gauge silicon surgical tubing might be what you're after, Bob.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

Thanks David- you are on to something-I just have to figure out the ends-maybe insert a small piece of 12 gauge wire for support and crimp on (nice crimp -not BS crimp) AMP ring terminals.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks David- you are on to something-I just have to figure out the ends-maybe insert a small piece of 12 gauge wire for support and crimp on (nice crimp -not BS crimp) AMP ring terminals.
                  Secure the ends like the manufacturer of the 'wrist-rocket' does it. Sue-proof!
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

The man is a plethora of good Ideas!-Thanks

Comment

• Aug 2008

The man is a plethora of good Ideas!-Thanks
                      ... and bad ideas. Which outnumber the good ones. The skill/wisdom is differentiating between the two values. And that ability comes with time.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                        Commander
                        • May 2009

Hair ties maybe. Ask your wife, daughter for one of theirs.
                        We pull them out of pool so I think they will stand up to the chemicals.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	OIP.slnGSsfUywcywOHkg-mnIQHaHa?w=190&h=190&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.16&pid=1.7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.8 KB ID:	160461
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scott T; 03-28-2022, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

I tried the hair ties-the encasing fabric is too catchy and pulls to easily , especially on my beat up finger tips.. the silicone tubing was more work and complex then I cared for ...I didn't like Velcro because the glue joints at the attach points would come loose. Then I re- thought it and found that they now offer stainless steel staples in the staple gun section of the home stores and hardware stores so I am going with this, thanks for all the suggestions sometimes spitballing leads one to have a breakthrough in thinking-BG

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130003.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	160946

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	160947

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4130001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	160948 ​​​

Last edited by Bob Gato; 04-13-2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...