What was the cause of losing your boat? Fail safe questions learned the hard way.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
    How about an ejectable untethered marker bouy with a strobe light atop?
    Yes that could work but the objective of this post is not to necessarily come up with the ultimate failsafe device but to gain more knowledge of situations that have happened and what was learned that caused them. From there we can know better how to avoid or design for similar events.

Comment

• Sam Victory
      Commander
      • Sep 2021

Originally posted by redboat219
      How about an ejectable untethered marker bouy with a strobe light atop?
      I have envisioned an interface on the failsafe module to connect a led light, the led light is mounted on the sail of the submarine, when the submarine's lost signal or signal is disrupted, the failsafe module outputs a pulse signal to bring the submarine up and can no longer continue to dive, at which point the led light on the sail will flash to alert you that the submarine is out of control. I think the safest way is to try not to go to murky waters where the submarine is usually full of water plants or other aquatic plants, which will not only dirty your submarine, but also make the operation more difficult, so a clean and clear water is the best choice.

Comment

• Sam Victory
        Commander
        • Sep 2021

The environment in wild waters is complex, and you don't know what's in the murky water. The moment the submarine disappears, you're not sure what happened. There are many possible causes, and the complexity of the environment makes the possible causes multiply. Water plants get tangled in the propeller (which of course you don't know about), and in the worst case the propeller gets torn and then breaks (I once saw a 1/72 Gato with two propellers ending up with only one left). In addition to the environmental reasons, the submarine itself including sealing, unexplained failure of the electronic control module (probably rare, maybe related to the circuit structure and programming), the choice of receiver (we all know that the PCM signal is better than the PPM signal in terms of signal carrier stability), the current Futaba FM receiver with the highest resolution should be PCM 2048. I think the filtering algorithm should be designed on some key electronic control modules, because electromagnetic interference is inevitable and will therefore affect the stability of the submarine.

V

Comment

• wlambing
          Commander
          • Nov 2020

2009. Running my 1/96, 637 class in a warm pond. Boat was NOT trimmed out for the water temperature (read that as she was heavy!) Lost propulsion , later discovered as due to a dog-bone failure. A tit broke off the nylon dog-bone, allowing the shaft to disconnect, and down she went! Two emergency blows failed to bring her up but did allow for marking the spot. A diver searched for over an hour without success. 6 weeks later, 2 divers into the pond. Original guy and a pal. In less than 15 minutes, the new guy surfaced with Trepang in his hands! Said he was skimming the deep weeds and followed a large bass into a hole. The bass swam on and uncovered a 7-blade scimitar screw sticking up out of the greenery and muck! SubRon 4 guys cleaned her up as much as possible, stunk to high heaven!! Surprised me with her at a Subase NLON Fun Run. Cylinder was completely dry inside! I finished cleaning her up some more, checked the cylinder all out and had sea trials in Bob Harris' submarine testing facility. Commanded a dive and she promptly and completely filled up with water and sat on the bottom!! Re-built again and ran her for a couple more years. Retired her a few years ago, and now she sits on a nice shelf amongst my Navy stuff on my "I love me" wall in the man-cave. Still sporting her pond-weathered countenance. Half tempted to resurrect her, but I have enough other projects left to last well past my usefulness as a human being!

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

WOW!

After reading all the experiences you guys have had with the loss of your submarines, I guess I should be grateful that the only place available to me is our swimming pool. To me seeing a submarine with its sail just above the water, has a very special look.

Rob
            "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Schmitty1944
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2021

I think the risk of loosing our models is part of what makes them exciting. Real submarines come with a lot of risk at a much higher cost (not even counting the money part). Model airplanes are a very risky hobby and that is a big part of the fun. It's very rewarding to have a nice run with your model and bring it back safe because failure is always an option. What I've learned from experience is to run my model submarines in a location that offers the best chance of recovery and always be prepared to get wet.

I've enjoyed reading this topic a lot. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and the ideas on possible improvements.

Jason

Comment

Working...