Revell Gato First project. Etched Brass detailing or not?, Which type of WTC?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mooneyjock
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2021

Revell Gato First project. Etched Brass detailing or not?, Which type of WTC?

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and about to start my first R/C sub project which will be a Revell 1;72 Gato Class R/C conversion. I am an experienced model builder, and want the sub to look as detailed as possible.so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to also purchase the Edward etched brass detail kits? Is this something that is commonly added to the Revell Gato kits that are converted to r/c, or will the added weight topside cause center of buoyancy problems? The kit I will be purchasing is just the basic model, not the new Platinum Edition.

My second question is what WTC works best with this sub model? I want nothing fancy, but reliable ballast control with fail safe, forward and reverse motor, rudder, bow and stern plane control and bow plane retraction. Also since this will be my first sub project, I would want to control costs as best I can, which means I would be willing to assemble the WTC from parts rather than purchase one RTR. Which ever option is the least expensive.
    Thanks very much for any advice. I am excited to get started, and I am sure I will be relying on you all for advice and suggestions as I progress with the build.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I have not used brass detailing on my Gato, but as I understand it, you are removing enough of the plastic deck below the brass (if using the big PE sets) to offset the weight of the brass.
    Here is my build: https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/build...vell-1-72-gato
    You want to build your own WTC, O.K., see what I have installed and create your own. We will help you as much as possible for information.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gato_Split_03a.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	151077
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Mooneyjock
      Hello Everyone,
      I am new to this forum and about to start my first R/C sub project which will be a Revell 1;72 Gato Class R/C conversion. I am an experienced model builder, and want the sub to look as detailed as possible.so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to also purchase the Edward etched brass detail kits? Is this something that is commonly added to the Revell Gato kits that are converted to r/c, or will the added weight topside cause center of buoyancy problems? The kit I will be purchasing is just the basic model, not the new Platinum Edition.

My second question is what WTC works best with this sub model? I want nothing fancy, but reliable ballast control with fail safe, forward and reverse motor, rudder, bow and stern plane control and bow plane retraction. Also since this will be my first sub project, I would want to control costs as best I can, which means I would be willing to assemble the WTC from parts rather than purchase one RTR. Which ever option is the least expensive.
      Thanks very much for any advice. I am excited to get started, and I am sure I will be relying on you all for advice and suggestions as I progress with the build.
      John,

Welcome to the hobby, and to this great forum!

As you can see by Toms blog on the 1:72 scale Gato, this guy really knows sub building inside and out! He has built some really nice boats, and has a lot of knowledge on the subject! I am sure Tom as well as others on this forum will be willing to share there expertise! Good luck on your Gato project, and if possible share it with us!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Mooneyjock
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jul 2021

First of all my apologies to Trout and rwtdiver for not responding sooner. For some reason I never got a notice of replies in my regular email. They much have gone to my Spam folder. Trout and rwtdiver Thank you for your response and offers to help.

My current progress has been slow. I have purchased my Revell Gato sub kit, but have not begun to assemble it, as I wanted to have the WTC assembled before hand to use a guide to the installation of drive shafts, rudder and dive plane control mechanisms. I have just purchased a 2 1/2" diameter SubDriver from a on-line auction. It looks to be just the basic components with motors, safety float valve and other valves, but nothing else that I could see in the auction photos. I will have a better idea as to what else I need once the SubDiver is delivered. I have also found or purchased a few other components such as the low pressure air pump, servos, receiver and gears for the bow plane retraction mechanism. I have also spent the time watching the conversion video's, reading Bob's "Diving Deep" book, and studying what ever I can find about construction and operation of R/C subs.

As for my previous question about the use of the etched brass detailing, I have decided to use the small details to enhance the appearance of the boat, but probably will not use the decking and upper deck side hinges unless the removal of the plastic will offset the weight of the added brass.

I do have a question about splitting the hull, which it seems to me to be the most critical part of the kit construction. What should I use to cut the hull, that will leave the least gap and be the most likely to make the straightest cut?

Thanks again, and I will be back in touch when construction begins.

John H.
        "Now here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
        (Ollie to Stanley"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Mooneyjock
          First of all my apologies to Trout and rwtdiver for not responding sooner. For some reason I never got a notice of replies in my regular email. They much have gone to my Spam folder. Trout and rwtdiver Thank you for your response and offers to help.

My current progress has been slow. I have purchased my Revell Gato sub kit, but have not begun to assemble it, as I wanted to have the WTC assembled before hand to use a guide to the installation of drive shafts, rudder and dive plane control mechanisms. I have just purchased a 2 1/2" diameter SubDriver from a on-line auction. It looks to be just the basic components with motors, safety float valve and other valves, but nothing else that I could see in the auction photos. I will have a better idea as to what else I need once the SubDiver is delivered. I have also found or purchased a few other components such as the low pressure air pump, servos, receiver and gears for the bow plane retraction mechanism. I have also spent the time watching the conversion video's, reading Bob's "Diving Deep" book, and studying what ever I can find about construction and operation of R/C subs.

As for my previous question about the use of the etched brass detailing, I have decided to use the small details to enhance the appearance of the boat, but probably will not use the decking and upper deck side hinges unless the removal of the plastic will offset the weight of the added brass.

I do have a question about splitting the hull, which it seems to me to be the most critical part of the kit construction. What should I use to cut the hull, that will leave the least gap and be the most likely to make the straightest cut?

Thanks again, and I will be back in touch when construction begins.

John H.
          "Now here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
          (Ollie to Stanley"
          See:

today's work - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...