X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biggsgolf
    Captain
    • Jan 2020

Heavy Duty Remote On/Off Switch

Has anyone experienced lipo drain if lipo is left wired to the Remote On/Off switch from Drydocks even when remote is turned off? I left it wired for two days and my lipo drained below the rechargeable rate minimum. I was able to charge at a lower rate but it is no longer balanced. I realize it should not be left wired when not in use, but wondering what I could wire inbetween the remote receiver and the lipo to stop the discharge.
  • secrtwpn
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2012

How did you hook it up? I have one too.....

Comment

• biggsgolf
      Captain
      • Jan 2020

Comment

• biggsgolf
        Captain
        • Jan 2020

I ran the red & black wires to lipo, the other black wire and the white wires to the ESC

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Is that a remote on/off with a key fob? if so the battery always powers the receiver in the switch-although it will use very little power...it should be disconnected at the end of the day. If it doesn't have a key fob transmitter...then nevermind -BG

Comment

• biggsgolf
            Captain
            • Jan 2020

Thanks Bob, yes a key fob

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by biggsgolf
              ... I realize it should not be left wired when not in use, but wondering what I could wire in between the remote receiver and the lipo to stop the discharge.
              All I could say about anything you could put in between the the remote and the battery is an open circuit...considering the low amperage drawn by the remote switch,you could install a normally closed magnetic reed switch to supply the power for the receiver only( not the supply for the load) At the end of the day you could drop a magnet next to the switch capsule and open that circuit. Kind of redundant though -I would just disconnect the battery..especially a lipo-which needs to be charged or discharged back to storage charge levels when not in use...and you DON'T want to do that in the sub (the model submarine does not make for a good fireproof charging container) -also note that a magnetic reed switch is good for only a very low amperage.

Comment

• biggsgolf
                Captain
                • Jan 2020

Agreed! Thanks, I have a curious mind, lol

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

Of course it drains the battery. It needs to listen for signal, and therefore needs to be "awake". Current draw is miniscule... something like 20 or 30 mA, but it's there.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

Don't look at the remote switch as an on-off switch , consider it an arm-disarm switch...

Comment

• biggsgolf
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2020

Thanks Bob G

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by biggsgolf
                        Thanks Bob G
                        That is the best description I have heard for this. I will be using that to explain these!
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...