X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MakeHobbyRC
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2019

My home made RC Submarine

Hi, I just want to share with you the making of my homemade RC submarine, through my Youtube Channel. I will post regular updates of the making of this sub, which is currently working! Please feel free to contact me, or comment, and share and subscribe to my channel if you like it! Thanks, and Enjoy.
    Rc Hobby making: all you want to know from the start to the finish of the design and building or your RC hobbies. Make a plane, a boat or a submarine...As we...
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Wsquared
    Hi, I just want to share with you the making of my homemade RC submarine, through my Youtube Channel. I will post regular updates of the making of this sub, which is currently working! Please feel free to contact me, or comment, and share and subscribe to my channel if you like it! Thanks, and Enjoy.
    Yawn. Yet another 'started' project. Show me the finished work if you want any chance of blowing up my skirt. The Internet is choking with never-to-be-completed stuff. Are you one of those guys?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

We'll be watching, but be aware that while posting up the link to your channel will garner a handful of views, unless you can show steady and meaningful progress, you'll lose your audience quickly.

If there is anything we can help with, be sure to let us know. Better to leverage the collective intellect here than struggle through on your own...

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Yawn. Yet another 'started' project. Show me the finished work if you want any chance of blowing up my skirt. The Internet is choking with never-to-be-completed stuff. Are you one of those guys?

David
        Hi, I'm not sure I want to "blow your skirt " but my work is my first, and a modest simple RC sub, functional. At present, it works, and that is good enough for me, although it is not meant to be stylish (it looks like no historical sub, it is just functional). At the moment it is almost finished. Here is a video to show you the final result. I will post videos on youtube progressively, up to the testing of it, and using it in canals, lacs... Best William

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
          We'll be watching, but be aware that while posting up the link to your channel will garner a handful of views, unless you can show steady and meaningful progress, you'll lose your audience quickly.

If there is anything we can help with, be sure to let us know. Better to leverage the collective intellect here than struggle through on your own...
          Hi, that very kind of you thanks. I have actually "almost" finished the sub, and have filmed many stages of its making. I will be posting them progressively but might need help, it will be welcome, thanks to offer. I am happy to share my little experience, and will be happy to learn too, Best, William

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Well, I'll be darned. It goes up, down, forward and back! That's further than most get. Well done! Very interested in seeing how you tackled the technical implementation of ballast and control. I assume the two thrusters provide yaw force by applying thrust in opposite directions?

Comment

• Aug 2008

It works. You achieved your objectives. And did so with innovative application of devices. Well done, sir. For what it's worth, I'm impressed.

David
              the Humbled
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                Well, I'll be darned. It goes up, down, forward and back! That's further than most get. Well done! Very interested in seeing how you tackled the technical implementation of ballast and control. I assume the two thrusters provide yaw force by applying thrust in opposite directions?
                thanks, for thrust I use 2 brushless motors (meant to go underwater), and no (sadly) they don't work separately, but together back and forth. I have 2 servos that connect to the 2 fines I made (homemade, greased axis with water bottles tops to make it watertight). (all DIY and cheap). Ballast is achieved with a large 300ml syringe that fills up and empties with a water pump I control with an ESC and the antenna receiver...Happy to see it catches attention. I will therefore try and post my videos sooner rather than later for all explanations...

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  It works. You achieved your objectives. And did so with innovative application of devices. Well done, sir. For what it's worth, I'm impressed.

David
                  the Humbled
                  Thanks, all DIY not very pretty but functional, a good start for me.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MakeHobbyRC

Thanks, all DIY not very pretty but functional, a good start for me.
                    A very good start indeed. You have a good set of hands.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

William,
                      I am always cautious when someone says I am building an RC submarine from scratch. Like David and others, there are so many started, but few finish. I am impressed with what you have done. I will be curious to see it in the real world (running outdoors). It looks like you are using a 2.4GHz radio and maybe in a tub 2 feet away it works, but if it works in the wild, I will be really impressed as it flies in the advice I have been told. Congratulations and loo forward to seeing what you have done.
                      Peace,
                      Tom
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by trout
                        William,
                        I am always cautious when someone says I am building an RC submarine from scratch. Like David and others, there are so many started, but few finish. I am impressed with what you have done. I will be curious to see it in the real world (running outdoors). It looks like you are using a 2.4GHz radio and maybe in a tub 2 feet away it works, but if it works in the wild, I will be really impressed as it flies in the advice I have been told. Congratulations and loo forward to seeing what you have done.
                        Peace,
                        Tom
                        Hi, and yes you are right, I was wondering if a 2,4Ghz Radio would work underwater. My ambitions are 2 meters deep max, no more. I will test it in real soon. Can you tell me theoretically does 2,4 Ghz normally work under water? What do you use normally for underwater radio control? Still learning, it's all good fun, Best,
                        William

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by MakeHobbyRC

Hi, and yes you are right, I was wondering if a 2,4Ghz Radio would work underwater. My ambitions are 2 meters deep max, no more. I will test it in real soon. Can you tell me theoretically does 2,4 Ghz normally work under water? What do you use normally for underwater radio control? Still learning, it's all good fun, Best,
                          William
                          You're going to need to swap out the GHz radio. Sorry. It won't work at all for more than a couple of inches of depth at best, particularly once you get some distance between yourself and your boat. Here in North America, the frequency needed is 75mhz. 72mhz works, but is technically illegal for surface craft.

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Dec 2019

Well that is annoying, but I should have done more research first. I had actually and someone said it could work (less fare) but It could. Anyway thanks for your suggestion. Is their any way of "converting" my RC receive and transmitter to 72-75MHZ? Just hopping... but not very convinced... Thanks in advance!

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Bob sells a nice 75MHz radio, it would be cheaper (and legal) to just buy one.
                              Check it out here: https://www.rc-submarine.com/product...io-transmitter
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...