Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

"Mud hook" they dont get fouled on the bottom like a danforth style. I have one on my little sailboat that weighs in at a hefty 5lbs. They are not to keep a vessel in place during bad weather for any period but to keep the vessel steady for a short time.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

And my understanding is that the pictures are of a Kilo.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

CAN YOU................FIGURE IT OUT> Look at this picture. On U-18 what is the cylindrical object on the starboard side of the sail? Ive looked at other pictures of U-18 and I dont see it in them.Click image for larger version

Name:	U-18-LObltzSFleigescrutelhorizon.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	81656

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

That's a Type-2, right? No room for gun-ammo lockers in the front-office, so they hang it off the side. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Not even the training/work-up areas were safe towards the end. Hence, the bang-bangs.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Yes, I believe it is a type 2

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey, Mark

You posted a shot of that sunk MIKE class, showing the stern: the two tandem propellers, Hogner stem, and mud. I can't find it. Solid Gold stuff you come up with. There is something terribly wrong about that propeller I want to comment on.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

yes those are the ammo wtc for the 2cm. But u-18 didnt have a tower mount, or a forward mounted RDF. It was a Type IIA. Thats what Im wondering about. The original pic says there scanning the horrizon for aircraft. If that were true they would be in big trouble getting all hands, camera man include to clear the bridge, down thru that little hatch. Those canoes took a good 25 to 30 seconds to dive once the hatch closed. A 300 mph Hawker Hurricane or Tyohoon would mess up their day in a heartbeat. Thats 5 miles a min from the horizon, which is about 10 miles from tower hight. U-19 and U-24 were IIBs that had a fore and aft flak station as well as the graded cammo on the tower. The only two pics I have of those boats, however, dont have ammo cans mounted on the sides. U 23 however was a IIB fitted with a tower mount later in the war that served in the Black sea which the cammo suggests. It didnt initially have the mount aft and therefore had no ready storage built into the wintergarden deck or spare magazine box on the mount. That could be the reason. It may well be a type VIIA tower which was a modified IIB tower or even one of the couple Type IAs that were built, but my guess is its U-23. Perhaps a visit to U boat.net and the officers picture page for the Kaptains might be in order to see whos who up there in the tower.
                Last edited by Von Hilde; 06-13-2013, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Looks like the WO could be Rolf Birgin Wahler from March 42 -June 44 was Commanding the U23 which co insides with the late war mod. of the wintergarden. Early in the war 38-40, Otto Kretchmer was capt as well as Heinrich Driver who later became a top Admeral in the U Boat arm. 23 had quite a few famous skippers. Sure is fun diggin up this stuff guys.Click image for larger version

Name:	wahlen_rolf_birger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	81677Kpt R B wahler
                  Last edited by Von Hilde; 06-13-2013, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good stuff! Thanks.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                      Sure is fun diggin up this stuff guys.[ATTACH=CONFIG]20799[/ATTACH]Kpt R B wahler
                      Sure is fun reading your stuff too! Keep it up!
                      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

I may have mentioned perhaps on another thread thet the "Black Sea Boats" were shipped overland to Istanbul by barge and rail. The towers were removed for shipment. The 23 is one of the pictures of 2 type IIs laying on their sides on a barge, without towers. The 23 is one of the ones found off the coast of Turkey and is still in great shape. They were scuttled by the Germans at the end of the war and have been sittinig undisturbed till recently. I sure would like to see one raised. I have quite a few Turkish friends who are influintal in govt and business that could help in the matter, altho they tell me this week wouldnt be a good time to drop by. Perhaps they could provide a contact person to the head of the turkish marine archeology dept to see about feasability of pulling one or more out.
                        Last edited by Von Hilde; 06-15-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

I found Mr Selcuk Kolay who discovered the scuttled Black Sea boats, If nothing else, I would like to be there when they pop one back up. Im waiting for a reply.
                          Last edited by Von Hilde; 06-19-2013, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

CAN YOU FIGURE IT OUT??? Observe the picture and note the sail planes are even with the front of the sail. What am I??
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	82593

Comment

• alad61
                              Commander
                              • Jan 2012

Hmm... I'm thinking Dutch, possibly the Zwaardvis (2)
                              Cheers,
                              Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                              But to dream is a reality

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

BINGO! I think you are right. Heres another picture in that set.Click image for larger version

Name:	boat_zwaardvis2_surfacing_4.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	82609

Comment

Working...