Unidentified!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Those sound-powered phones are very American. The last shot looks to be an early GATO class boat.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Yes, I believe it is an early Gato. The metal surrounding the masts in this picture is of the single tier type whereas the earlier Gar. Tambor and Sargo classes had a two tier housing, before the ones still in service were all cut down to the wartime tower reduction scheme. And SCHEME it was. I really like a good Tambor class conning tower verses the chopped up Gato/balao/Tench look. Atrocious! Abomination!..........Oh ...sorry.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

I agree with you -- terrible looking. But, after all these years, iconic.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by greenman407
          The guy on the conning tower is either a member of the Taliban or its the Frito Bandito.:biggrin:
          Looks more like Freezo Bandito.....early Gato, me thinks. Nice details!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            -- terrible looking.

M
            She will do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Star Wars lines forbidden here!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Roddersuk
                Lieutenant
                • Sep 2011

I think the crew on deck are USN between the wars looking at their clothing. But what boat is any bodies guess I suppose.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

those guys on the mistery boat with the guy and the sound powerd phones are USN. Even Ray Charles can see the stencil on the old blue work jacket on one of the deck guys. I would say late 30s early 40s stink boat. You kids are too young

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Just to see whos paying attention to the latest posts. What am I?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	What am I.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	83534

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

HMS Talent

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh, and going back to the shot with the phone-talker in the bridge: In background you can see the escape training tank at the NL Sub Base. A couple of years ago they took it down.

I spent a tour there as an instructor. In my time (early 70's) American submarine inductees and re-qual's only used the fifty-foot blister, near the top of the structure, for free ascent training.

The Brit's would lock-out from the base of the tank, the one-hundred-and-eighteen-foot chamber, in dry-suits. Very professional sailors, very crazy people at the club.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          The Brit's would lock-out from the base of the tank, the one-hundred-and-eighteen-foot chamber, in dry-suits. Very professional sailors, very crazy people at the club.

M
                          My dad was an diving instructor in the tanks at Gosport.
                          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

I was TAD at the tower in Key West in 62 as well as the ASR "sewerpipe" for Monsonlung classes. They all went away years ago, but the Army SFUWO took over the Navys Key West underwater operations and built a new zilliondollar facility in the 80s. Big pool big tower, SOTA hyperbaric facility, all the five star goodies. Now its a multi service facility, stll run by the Army, but all branches of instructors. They just geared up their airborne transitional ops with parachute and other types of low level ingress and extractions. (That would be leaving a perfectly good airplane and jumping into the water, without a parachute) and then swimming around for awhile and getting back on. More fun than a Dizney extraviganza. Say, Mr M, ever been in this joint?Click image for larger version

Name:	navykwundersea weapons.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	83546
                            Last edited by Von Hilde; 10-02-2013, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Torpedoman A-School, the Annex! Any more pictures?

Over one of the practical class-rooms was inscribed, "I may not be able to spell it, but I can lift it!". In those days TM's were selected based on mass, not brains.

God, that goes way back! And thank you for sharing. You simply gotta do a book!

M
                              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Can anyone ID this little lady? Sorry thats all you get.Click image for larger version

Name:	Who Dat.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	83734

Comment

Working...