I spy!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

That's a good point, some of the block liners are missing in that shot. Those holes are much bigger with the piston liner/sleeve pulled. But, in that photo, those are huge! Very good analysis, as usual, Van Hilde

The only transfer-at-sea I did aboard TRUTTA (I had the Armory then, so I was the messenger line gun guy) was delivery of some liners and pistons to another squadron boat off Haiti. Why they did the repairs underway and not in Cuba or Key West is still beyond me. A dirty, hard, cramped job in the best of conditions -- that's when it sucked to be a snipe.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

I always thought the snipes had the coolest stripes on their blues in boot camp. I think that was the only time, for them, in the Navy that didnt suck. A couple of the luckey MMs I know slipped thru the cracks and got small boats and outboards to work on and didnt have to be banned to snipe country on a large vessel. I can just picture rebuilding a motor (off Haiti in the summer) down in the engine room with the other motor cranked. The U boats on the long patrols like Polkinschlag or the Monsoon boats carried spare pistons and sleeves as well as lots of other parts to rebuild a motor at sea. I believe that picture was when The Royal Navy took over the U3017 and commissioned it HMS N-41. After a closer look, I see several tags about, and perhaps that isnt a note pad but another tag. Its still a common US Navy practice to tag out equipment during disassembly of equipment, to this day. They did open the engine room access hatch in that picture to take out the propusion system for the post war study. They did a complete de engineer on everything aboard that boat. There is a published report of all they found and measurements and specs. Those type XXIs had some humongus engines. MAN M6V40/46 KBB 4000 HPClick image for larger version

Name:	MAN m6v4046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	82340 check out this monster aboard one of the XXIs the Russians aquired. about 4 meters high from the bottom of the pan to head, so interpilate the cross section drawing. It appears you could use a couple pistons without the rod attached for end tablesClick image for larger version

Name:	MAN m6 cross.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	82341 The u boats R&R the engines frequently thru the pressure hull engine access plates in the engine room overhead, when in port between patrols. As the war progressed the older boats got engine upgrades as well. some type VIICs even got the V40/46 MANs, altho they didnt get the superchargers like the 21s that gave them the 4000hp
      Last edited by Von Hilde; 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• reddevil
        Commander
        • Jun 2009

Out of focus due to the fence grill. It's easy to say what is it. Don't you think so?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0046.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	82457 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0047.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	82458 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0048.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	82459

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Looks like the bow of a submarine, to me.
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• reddevil
            Commander
            • Jun 2009

Name:	S62 PROA EMERGE.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	82460Click image for larger version

Name:	S62 EMERGIENDO.jpg
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	82461Click image for larger version

Name:	S62 NAVEGANDO.jpg
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	82462
            Yes! It's ex - S62 TONINA, and here you can see her with her two different bow shapes. It was changed in 1986

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I spy a sub moored in the background to a ship. Who can tell us what it is?

Name:	0868712.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	91872

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

She's the USS Richard B. Russell ( SSN 687). That fairing behind the sail is for an antenna buoy.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Name:	434229_med.jpg
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	91873

Operation Petticoat?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

If I didnt know better.....I would say that, this picture is of the Greyback in orange paint, signalling her upcoming demise as a Target.
                    Apparently the Orange paint is for easier target recognition(cheating).Click image for larger version

Name:	grayback 1986.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	91874

Comment

• Von Hilde
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by redboat219
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]28151[/ATTACH]

Operation Petticoat?
                      Thats one of the Regulus guppy boats in red lead. heres the Baleo and Archerfish that were used in the movie.Click image for larger version

Name:	Archerfish311Balao285.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	92536 Both boats played the part of the "Tigerfish" for the movie filmed here in Key West in 1960. When I went aboard the Baleo in 62 there were still small sections of "pink" that hadent been re painted. They were left on purpose for a few years untill they put her up on the 'Hard' (marine railway, dry dock) for complete corrosion control. When she decommissioned there still was a single door on the fwd head with all the movie peoples signatures and a thank you note to the crew from the Producers and directors. I recall at one time or another when I went aboard when she was active, there still was the WWII pin up of Betty Grable, picture on the control room bulkhead. Dont know if it was always on the boat since the war or a hollywood prop

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by greenman407
                        If I didnt know better.....I would say that, this picture is of the Greyback in orange paint, signalling her upcoming demise as a Target.
                        Apparently the Orange paint is for easier target recognition(cheating).[ATTACH=CONFIG]28152[/ATTACH]
                        actually targets, for live fire excersize use international orange to Identify that the vessel or aircraft is in fact a target and not another vessel or aircraft involved in the excersise. Also helps in analysis of the damage by the easy recogniton and location of the wreckage. Not so much cheating, but a safety. That picture shows the color much better. That tug is an MSTS, you can tell by the blue and yellow stripes on the stacks, below the USN Black tops over haze grey. A little nauticle trivia.
                        Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-10-2014, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by greenman407
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]7012[/ATTACH]
                          I Spy something on the port side of the Conning tower that Ive never seen before on a U-Boat. Do You See It? What is it? Youve got 30 sec.
                          Schnorkle attachment type VII was on thr port side similar to the U995 set up,on this model. Click image for larger version

Name:	u995schnorkleup.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	92537
                          Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-10-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I Spy a Orange submarine. Can you tell me why?Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange-ALBACORE.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	108720

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Going to be sunk as a target in a live fire exercise.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

Name:	typevii.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	108913 May be late chiming in on this, it's not that it took 4 years to figure out, that"thing" on the tower is not a camera. It's an insulator in that hole. For a wire that goes up to the jumper.
                                Last edited by Von Hilde; 07-17-2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Working...