Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

Since the contract for the submarine had been cancelled in JAN '46, there shouldn't be a jack flying on the (non-) ship in the Fall of 1946. (At that point, it likely wasn't part of the U.S. Navy.) Also, there's a jack, but no Stars & Stripes visible. (The protocol is Jack on the bow, Ensign on the stern when anchored or tied up.) The Ensign goes up when underway. (For those who sleep through sea & anchor detail, that's what's happening when you hear "Underway, shift colors.")
    Last edited by Outrider; 12-22-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

The guy is not dressed for the weather (assuming this is a Groton boat).

Jeezus! ... I was on the 421. I feel old.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Excuse my ignorance in these matters, (just got off the boat syndrome) but what is that flag flying on the pointy part of the boat?
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• redlite
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2010

421? Yeah, that's old......it is a Groton boat, must have been a balmy day, though the wind is up...

The Union Jack is probably the most mistreated flag. Especially by the pleasure yacht gang. Tradition says that the Union Jack should be flown from the bow staff, which they have done correctly. But only when tied up at pier side or at anchor. And, more importantly, only on Sunday. On October in that year, the 20th falls on a Sunday, but in September, it falls in the middle of the week. But they did a great job dressing her up, the bunting on the bow is brilliant in its application.

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Well! Well! I had no idea the USA had a Union Jack and I always wondered why the British one was so called. "Who was Jack?" would usually get a blank stare and at school one would be told not to ask stupid questions. Its flown on the Jack Staff on the bow of the vessel. Interesting!

Originally posted by Merriman

Jeezus! ... I was on the 421. I feel old.

David,
            You are! Get over it!
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...