Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Hey Mike, Which one of the guys in the picture is your father?
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
      Hey Mike, Which one of the guys in the picture is your father?

He wasn't in that shot. Here he is
      Click image for larger version

Name:	JimCaswell.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	60620
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Handsome looking Devil, he cleans up pretty good too.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	f0060489_48b91018d4d40.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	60630

Who can identify this slightly pre WW1 sub?
          Last edited by Kazzer; 12-18-2010, 09:01 AM. Reason: Broken link to photo

Comment

• Outrider
            Commander
            • Aug 2008

It's the USS C-1, see the same photo pasted here:

The pigboats website is a gem. Look over the entry on USS Tautog (SS-199):

The embedded video (vintage color 8mm conversion) at the bottom of the Tautog page could break your heart.
            Last edited by Outrider; 12-18-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

There was good and bad in the video. The cutting up of the sub yes but also a lot of good video captured for all to see. In her day she cradled and protected the men placed in her charge, and then when she was no longer needed..........................

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Alright, I stumbled across this odd looking thing the other day. I thought that posting it might be entertaining. Whadayathink?Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoWW1-12ssM2bNP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	60648

Comment

• KevinMc
                  Commander
                  • Feb 2009

From Wikipedia: By 1928, the M2 had been fitted with a waterproof hangar and hydraulic catapult and could launch and recover a small seaplane. The submarine and her plane could then act as a reconnaissance unit ahead of the fleet. The M2 herself was lost in 1932, and plane-launching submarines were abandoned by the Royal Navy.

Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                  KMc Designs

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

I love the way the officer says "wea hea!" He means "We're here!"
                    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

You guys are too good for your own good. I found this picture on a Google search and it said that it was a "Jetty" for the new Astute class submarine. I thought it odd that the picture looked old and in black and white.

Comment

• Outrider
                        Commander
                        • Aug 2008

There really weren't many hulls in Western Navies that got fitted for aircraft, so they're pretty easy to sort out. Some, like the French Surcouf are almost icons of inventiveness (or folly, depending on your perspective). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_...Surcouf_(N_N_3) for why you'd have no trouble identifying this hull.

The marriage of submarine and aircraft has some fascination for me. In the early days, with the primitive sensors available to submarines--no radar and so-so acoustics, coupled with inherently short horizons, the idea of a sub-launched aircraft must've been irresistible.

The Japanese were the only ones to work through the many difficulties of uniting submarine and aircraft. (The IJN built 42 (!) aircraft carrying subs.) The IJN saw submarines as scouts for the Imperial High Seas Fleet, whereas the USN focused on commerce raiding and sinking the IJN Fleet. The Japanese made very good use of their sub-launched floatplanes for recon when they launched relatively unsuccessful mini sub attacks on Sydney and on Madagascar.

Too bad Lindberg so badly botched their big Japanese boats. I'm sure some of the decision-makers who pick what subjects to model will say nobody is interested in 1/72 aircraft carrying subs, be they IJN or even the M2. I'd say, wrong lesson--nobody wants to buy shoddy work. That anybody has bought a Lindberg 1/72 IJN sub says there's so much of a market that some people will even pay over $100 for s**** plastic that kind of looks like the sub on the box art.
                        Last edited by Outrider; 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Trouble is: the plastic (the I-53) does build into what is represented by the box art!

Take heart, sports fans, Lindberg did not totally muddy the waters with that awful I-53 (did they every release the I-20?). I'm working with a plastic model company as a 'consultant' for what is hoped to become a line of 1/72 cold-war era plastic model kits suitable for conversion to r/c. Myself, Jim Christley and others are involved, so accuracy of kit to prototype is assured. Not a sure thing -- but I would say there is a 80% chance of the first subject in the series being produced -- follow on subjects seeing the light-of-day contingent on success of the initial offering.

Stay tuned, sports fans.

Ugh!

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redlite
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2010

Is there a breach of protocol being committed in this photograph? Hint: The date of the WALRUS SS437 launch is in the lower left side of the uncropped version of this photo....it says "September 20, 1946". October would have been better.
                            Last edited by redlite; 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I went to Navsource looking for a clue but I guess you got me on this one.

Comment

• Scott T
                                Commander
                                • May 2009

Looks like even the torpedo doors were forgotten on this sub.

Comment

Working...