Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
    I'm surprised the Albacore didn't make it into the top ten handling boats.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0014.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	93201 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_ygp7316.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	93202 Click image for larger version

Name:	006_006_ygp7317.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	93203 Click image for larger version

Name:	007_ygp7318.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	93204 Click image for larger version

Name:	008_ygp7319.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	93205 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0577.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	93206 You know, I completely forgot to give that thing the credit it's do, Andy. Yes, the 1/60 SubTech ALBACORE is SWEET! With the right motor it's as fast as the SKIPJACK. And the thing turns on a dime. Depth-control is very easy, even without the bow planes.

With all the phases this thing went through during its operational life, what's not to like!

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Where does the 1/72 Type IX fall into?
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

I think were going to find out shortly. I just ordered one of the fittings kits for my project boat, thats getting the EZ Im putting together. Now waiting on the War Department (Wife)to release the funds for 2015 so I can get the "tronix"kit and Xmiter.

Comment

• zhuravlik
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2011

A question for HWSNBN: A couple of pages back there are a couple of photos of your "passive sonar" setup. I've tried to find the original radio shack module and I succeded but shipping cos was way too much.
          If you should choose from this huge list a substitute radio, what would you choose?

Are there some silencing tecniques one could use to listen while underway? Small brushless creeper motor and silent blocks?
          How about doubling the channels to get stereophony?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by zhuravlik
            A question for HWSNBN: A couple of pages back there are a couple of photos of your "passive sonar" setup. I've tried to find the original radio shack module and I succeded but shipping cos was way too much.
            If you should choose from this huge list a substitute radio, what would you choose?

Are there some silencing tecniques one could use to listen while underway? Small brushless creeper motor and silent blocks?
            How about doubling the channels to get stereophony?
            Circuit Zone is an excellent resource. Thanks for sharing. Get the first transmitter listed.

Forget sound-isolation -- what you negate in the way of physical contact conduction of sound through structure, you will get clobbered with through incidental conduction through water. Sit the boat down on the bottom and center the sticks, and listen (if you have a chattering servo in there, that's all you'll hear).

Forget 'stereo', smart guy. As the velocity of sound through water is so much quicker than air, you wont' be able to perceive the time difference (how our brain ascertains direction through right and left ear). So, without electronic detection and an analog display of sound phase shift between two (or more) hydrophones, you won't be able to get a bearing. The only useful information from this system is type of noise (servos are LOUD!), amplitude of the noise, and Doppler shift indicating an advancing or retreating sound-source. Sorry.

M
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-09-2015, 12:01 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2011

Thanks, will build the first transmitter.
              Instead of isolating sound how about being silent using nitinol for steering and propulsion?
              Should be possible to get a low power peristaltic pump out of this:
              Simple object with nitinol wire controlled by Arduino.Experiments for interactive installation.My other experiments with Nitinol:https://www.youtube.com/watc...

Got the stereo part, indeed I wasn't able to get a bearing of my lost Kilo's motor despite being very close to it, very frustrating.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by zhuravlik
                Thanks, will build the first transmitter.
                Instead of isolating sound how about being silent using nitinol for steering and propulsion?
                Should be possible to get a low power peristaltic pump out of this:
                Simple object with nitinol wire controlled by Arduino.Experiments for interactive installation.My other experiments with Nitinol:https://www.youtube.com/watc...

Got the stereo part, indeed I wasn't able to get a bearing of my lost Kilo's motor despite being very close to it, very frustrating.
                Nitinol. Man!... that's neat stuff. like the Martian War Machine muscles described in H.G. Wells Novel, War of The Worlds. Is Nitrinol contraction proportional with applied voltage/current? If so, you have a viable servo here. Neat! This would solve the servo noise issue all right. What was that thing, a heart-valve analog?

You find the neatest toys! I love bizzaro **** like this!

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
                  Lieutenant
                  • Mar 2011

Don't you know Toki servos?
                  A look at the BioMetal servo by MicronWings - www.micronwings.com

Comment

• Aug 2008

No! This is new, and woderful stuff! Wow! I've had my head up my ass in the shop so long I've lost touch with what the industries been doing.

Mike, check this little hot-wire proportional servo out! Me want!

Thanks

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      No! This is new, and woderful stuff! Wow! I've had my head up my ass in the shop so long I've lost touch with what the industries been doing.

Mike, check this little hot-wire proportional servo out! Me want!

Thanks

M
                      At $48 each, you don't want! Anyway, you're in the doghouse pal! Not getting orders out on time - again! No toys for you pal!
                      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
                        At $48 each, you don't want! Anyway, you're in the doghouse pal! Not getting orders out on time - again! No toys for you pal!
                        Yikes! price-point does not work for us. Thanks for checking.

Shaking the tree, Boss ... shaking the tree!

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
                          Lieutenant
                          • Mar 2011

You can DIY.
                          Supply:

Example of DIY servo:

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

That is steep, but HobbyKing sells it too
                            Hobbyking - the world's No1 Online Hobby Store. We stock a huge selection of RC products from Planes right through to Drones and all accessories. Visit Us Today.

Mike you might be able to get a better price, I do not know if Toki list is a retail price or wholesale, but they list the servo for about $22 ea.

It would be fun just to play with :-)
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Muscle wire has been around for a long time. It's biggest snag was it's sensitivity to ambient temperatures, resulting in drift for servo positioning. Not to mention that working with it was like trying to knit fog.

The main benefit seems to be weight saving (even that is marginal as you can get a pager motor servo sub 1 gram ), beyond that, it's all disadvantages, and if you look at the Toki servos, they have larger footprint than the small linear or rotary servo available for beans these days.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                                Muscle wire has been around for a long time. It's biggest snag was it's sensitivity to ambient temperatures, resulting in drift for servo positioning. Not to mention that working with it was like trying to knit fog.

The main benefit seems to be weight saving (even that is marginal as you can get a pager motor servo sub 1 gram ), beyond that, it's all disadvantages, and if you look at the Toki servos, they have larger footprint than the small linear or rotary servo available for beans these days.
                                Good, valid points, Andy. You saved us from reaching for a hot stove-top.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...