• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Looking for Cabal report Trumpeter Kilo Build

Hello

I looked through the section BUT there is No Cabal Report that covers the full build of the Trumpeter 1/144 Kilo build, just a few bits. Is there a full build?

George
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    Hello

I looked through the section BUT there is No Cabal Report that covers the full build of the Trumpeter 1/144 Kilo build, just a few bits. Is there a full build?

George

Go to this site and look up, 'r/c'ing the Trumpeter KILO'. Not much useful information I'm afraid as that job involved a now discarded 2.5" diameter cylinder. But good for showing how to punch out the bottom flood-drain holes.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Have you seen these?
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
        Romel to the rescue! Thanks, friend.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          http://vabiz.com/d&e/articles.html

Go to this site and look up, 'r/c'ing the Trumpeter KILO'. Not much useful information I'm afraid as that job involved a now discarded 2.5" diameter cylinder. But good for showing how to punch out the bottom flood-drain holes.

M
          David

I thought I'd copied all those vabiz files and converted them to pdf files, then loaded them to the Caswell database. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any, or did I?
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

I have read these cabal reports at least twice before, and just read them again great information. I learn more each time I read them!
            David do more please!
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
              I have read these cabal reports at least twice before, and just read them again great information. I learn more each time I read them!
              David do more please!

Mike is so right, he did work all those old Cabal Reports (the relevant ones) into proper PDF format, and some time ago. And, as Romel pointed out, they are on the site, ready for down-load. Mike put a lot of time and care, and I was remise in forgetting that they were already there ... sorry, Boss.

I wish I had the time to compose new Cabal Reports, but I'm so behind in work .... two long promised WTC's for Mamas, a completed submarine for our Moderator, a little 1.25" SD for Gene's 1/72 Type-A, and the list of delinquent things goes on. Once I'm caught up I intend to reduce recent work to full blown Cabal Reports that should be useful to anyone in this game.

Time is the missing ingredient -- I blame Mr. Caswell and his crew, they keep hitting me with Purchase Orders.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

There is one useful thing David forgot to include in his cabal report. It's about the stern cone. You'll need to cut off about 3mm from the tip (or you could just eyeball it to match the diameter of the propeller hub.) Next you plug the end with tape, stand the sub on it's tail and fill the inside with baking soda and CA to create a plug. You then drill it out using a 1/16" drill bit to accept your shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder gap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	83135

Name:	Level.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	83136

Name:	Stern cone bushing.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	83137

Comment

• george
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2010

Hi redboat219

Please excuse my ignorance but could you explain the 1/16" drill bit for the prop shaft? I didn`t know that there was a 1/16" prop shaft on the market for the kilo? Don`t you use a bearing in the end of the submarine for the prop shaft? How do you make sure the hole is centered there?

Thanks for the help.

George

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

The 1/16" shaft comes with the fittings kit for the kilo. Without the bearing/bushing the prop shaft has the tendency to wobble in the stern cone.

About making the hole centered I just eyeballed it. You could always replug it with Ca and redrill.

Comment

Working...