Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Take video......please. Oh and if I am not being too pushy some photos also.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by GNuge
      Hello David,

Is it possible that the bronco models lack of negative angle on the stern fins is causing the pitch problem? My old 32 parallel type 23 has negative angle moulded into the thin airfoil shaped fins in front of the stabilizer and this boat is stable at all speeds. Then again it is not fast! Most photos indicate this negative angle and the Fritz kohl plans also show it. Food for thought. Good luck.
      Sincerely,

george
      How many degrees negative incidence are we talking here?
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Just got back from the Nauticus show. Put the Bronco 1/35 Type-23 in the water with the latest change -- an effort to correct the 'dive-of-doom' this model has exhibited since I first put it in the water over a month ago.

No improvement! Not one bit of difference! Damit! .... dive the boat, advance the throttle and I may have it for a few moments, but eventually the damned thing assumes a pronounced down angle and it just keeps going -- only recovery option is to go all back, emergency.

Damn!

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Definitely need to get hold of a working 32nd Parallel XXIII and see how she's set up.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Maybe you need this, http://link.springer.com/chapter/10....-642-10690-3_8

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
              Can you find a copy of that in English, Romel?

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Not sure if this is the same thing,https://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&s...50768961,d.aGc

Comment

• Buellman1
                  Lieutenant
                  • Mar 2013

How about an Eagle Tree Guardian which has multiple gyro stabilization? You could have gyro stabilization on all surfaces if you like. I have one on hand that I plan on putting in my gato and using the adf in my nautilus. Which means I'm assuming it'll work.

Comment

• Aug 2008

'Gyro' stabilization (a misnomer, no gyro is involved, they now use velocity detectors, i.e. accelerometer) is not the means of determining displacement angle between the vertical gravity line and the vehicles longitudinal axis -- and that's what has to be measured if the devise is to detect and send corrections signals to get the vehicle on a zero bubble-angle.

And there's only one vehicle axis we need artificial stabilization: the pitch axis. And that's done with a device that can sense the vertical gravity line and work out the displacement angle between it and the vehicles longitudinal axis, and work out the proper corrective signal to the stern plane servo to get the boat back on a even keel. The ADF2 and other 'angle-keeper' devices are designed to do so and do the job well. If they are in working order.

I'm going to (once I find the time) build up a new SD for this beast, outfit it with new devices, and see if I can get this Damned Type-23 to work properly ... finally!

I do appreciate your input here, Buellman. Keep it coming. Obviously, I'm missing something here! In this matter, The Great David Merriman ain't so frig'n great!

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Buellman1
                      Lieutenant
                      • Mar 2013

The guardian does have gravity leveling in 2D mode David. I was originally planning on putting it in the gato first but it was on back order too long for me to wait. It finally came in and one of these days I will get around to trying it out to be sure. If its all legal, I'll try to post the instructions and maybe hook it up to some servos with a video. I think it can be set up like having an adf on both sets of planes with user override.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Buellman1
                        The guardian does have gravity leveling in 2D mode David. I was originally planning on putting it in the gato first but it was on back order too long for me to wait. It finally came in and one of these days I will get around to trying it out to be sure. If its all legal, I'll try to post the instructions and maybe hook it up to some servos with a video. I think it can be set up like having an adf on both sets of planes with user override.
                        Thanks for the information, Buellman. I stand corrected.

Fair enough. Give it a go. At this point I'm snatching at straws in this matter.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Maybe your sub is too balanced? What I mean is, when you dive the air in the ballast tank goes to one end (aft) and the sub rotates longitudinally because that shift causes the delicate balance to go imperfect too quickly. Maybe baffles would slow the movement of water in the ballast tank?
                          This would explain the porpoising as the water is sloshing around back and forth.
                          Last edited by trout; 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the SD's ballast tank is designed to be completely filled with water when vented.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

As long as the sub maintains normal horizontal attitude, however if the sub tilts, the air will get trapped at the higher end because it can not escape out the vent.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                                As long as the sub maintains normal horizontal attitude, however if the sub tilts, the air will get trapped at the higher end because it can not escape out the vent.
                                Romel's right. And Tom's observation is valide. However, the vent on the ballast tank is at the extreme after end of the ballast tank. It's placed there to insure complete flooding of the tank as the boat takes the 'normal' down-angle as it transitions from surfaced to submerged trim.

I'm confident that there is no free-water in the tank once fully transitioned to submerged trim. But, you've given me something else to give a second-look too.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...