X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oztruck
    Commander
    • May 2010

A crazy idea that won't go away

Ever since I finished my first sub I have had a desire to sink something but here in South Australia we are not allowed to have anything that fires a projectile.

Also most people I have talked to about being attacked by a torpedo from one of my subs don't seem to be as excited about it as much as I am, in fact they get VERY aggressive towards me.
    Give him a soapbox!

So this is my crazy idea
    :wink:

What about if I build a boat that looks like it has being attacked by submarine and it sinks on command?Scuba Diving

Of course it will have to be able to to sink as many times as I want it to. That means it will also have to be able to get itself back on the surface after it has sunk.
    The Titanic

What do you think?:biggrin:
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Been done successfully a few times. Just stick a SD into a model boat hull, ballast it accordingly, Punch a lot of holes in its bottom and topside, and there you go.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Something like this; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540957

I think a water-pump/sealed tank would be a better option.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• oztruck
        Commander
        • May 2010

Thanks guys, that sounds like a plan. Tramp Steamer or Q ship? What about smoke and sound?

Cheers Chris

Comment

• oztruck
          Commander
          • May 2010

This is what I am going to use to build the "SS Gosunder"

Cheers Chris

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by oztruck
            Ever since I finished my first sub I have had a desire to sink something but here in South Australia we are not allowed to have anything that fires a projectile.

Also most people I have talked to about being attacked by a torpedo from one of my subs don't seem to be as excited about it as much as I am, in fact they get VERY aggressive towards me.
            Give him a soapbox!

So this is my crazy idea
            :wink:

What about if I build a boat that looks like it has being attacked by submarine and it sinks on command?Scuba Diving

Of course it will have to be able to to sink as many times as I want it to. That means it will also have to be able to get itself back on the surface after it has sunk.
            The Titanic

What do you think?:biggrin:
            Chris

not meaning to flog the dead horse - but given I have jumped through ALL the Australian legal hoops on the torpedo system let me offer you the following.

First - projectiles. Is a kid throwing a tennis ball in the park banned in South Australia?. - I think not. The word "projectile" here is not defined in any law, its a word largely used and abused by a few scaremongering types over at TF72 who hate submarines who use it to define torpedoes. For the record a tennis ball can too be termed a "projectile", irrespective of how its thrown / launched or otherwise takes flight. Yes you can't fly a model rocket in the park over there in SA but that is specifically legislated. There is no law daft enough to use the word "projectiles". It is too generic and pathetic to carry any meaning in law on its own.

Next the torpedo system is not a model rocket, not an explosive, not an air soft weapon, not a blow dart, and not any item banned by Australian customs. It is also none of the above according to firearms legislation (which by the way is now uniform across Australia) thanks to the Port Arthur idiot.

The torpedo system is simply an unregulated toy. It is unregulated as their are no laws governing its use. Being unregulated does not mean its banned, unlawful, or illegal.

The fact that a bunch of nervous nellies went off at TF72 to seek specific projectile insurance - an act known to fail - is why you can't use the torpedo system within the confines of TF72. It has nothing to do with any risk assessment. - None were considered or carried out prior to the TF72 bans in place.

Do what I do;- run it on your own or with a club that allows it.

To date I have been involved with 3 club events (not TF72) in 3 states that all have zero problem, insurance or otherwise, with the toy torpedo system - yes that is exactly what this is, and when that is correctly explained to insurers and local government location owners where I run THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

As far as damage you could cause to other ships, BULL****. Not with the Merriman system - it is not designed to do that. Frequently for the sake of feeding their own bull **** agenda, I find a few TF72 types crapping on about Pat Drakes explosive torpedoes, and deliberately making out that the Merriman system works the same way. People like this ought to be careful about making false claims they can't defend about other people's products. In the last few weeks a risk assessment was conducted by a more accommodating TF72 official - I don't expect the ban to change, (that seems too hard to fathom), but I do expect the ridiculous hysteria over this tame little toy to now become history. The toy torpedo system is a fun addition to our hobby, but for some "fun" is designed by slapping some decent guy seeking fun over the head with a rule book. The end result is I now have most of my fun away from TF72 and I'm not on my own.

Your ship looks good. Have seen a Revell Flower rigged with a small WTC for the same effect.

Best

John
            Last edited by Slats; 01-31-2012, 04:48 AM. Reason: attrocious spelling
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• oztruck
              Commander
              • May 2010

In South Australia it is illegal to have any thing that can fire something without a license for it ,(except for a bow or a cross bow, go figure) even my RC tanks with low power Air Soft guns are not allowed by our lawmakers. Full Stop

For me it has nothing at all to do with any club rules, it is our State rules that say its a NO NO and where we sail is next door to a Police barracks so I won't push my luck with the boys in blue. Like I said in the intro, it is against the law in SA and if it wasn't, well, I would want torpedo's like Pat Drakes explosive torpedoes. Who wouldn't.

Also as I said in the intro it is hard to find someone that will let me willfully damage one of there boats and that is why I am going this root.

Cheers Chris

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

In South Australia it is illegal to have any thing that can fire something without a license for it ,except for a bow or a cross bow
                How about a roman trireme armed with a ballista firing flaming arrows then. Lol!

Wonder if you could get away with a Kaiten or Shinyo http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinyo_(suicide_boat)?
                Last edited by redboat219; 01-31-2012, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Chris,
                  so what your telling me is that NERF toys are banned in whacky SA?
                  I mention that as the NERF toys off the shelf from Toyworld or Big W pack more of punch than the torp system.

The bottom line is Chris, the moment one nanny state type lumbered the torp system amongst things that were "fired". There has been little looking back to how dangerous, or in the real world NOT that this thing is. Remember Chris the people making that claim have never ever seen the system in action.

That Cross bow example is priceless - holy ****. Law gone mad!!

Come to the ACT regatta in Canberra and judge the system for yourself - I GUARANTEE you will utter the words. "Cool" - followed by "Is that all it is".
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• oztruck
                    Commander
                    • May 2010

Sorry John, but you have missed the point. I want to see a ship sink. End of story. Lets move on.

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Sorry John, but you have missed the point. I want to see a ship sink. End of story. Lets move on.
                      Gotcha - but still come to the regatta Chris, besides you'll see shipping sunk there too.
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• oztruck
                        Commander
                        • May 2010

Did a float/sink test the other day. The first photo is the boat floating in my test tank at home, the next photos are at the pond where the water is a bit deeper.

Cheers Chris

Now that I know it will do what I want it to do it is time to tweak the design of the body work and mechanical parts.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

How did you make sinking mechanism?

Is this a one way trip- sinking only or do you also have provision for raising her up a again?

Comment

• oztruck
                            Commander
                            • May 2010

Redboat219: the sinking mechanism is a variation on HWSNBN's SD, It will be able to sink on command and surface on command, well that's the plan anyway.

When I get a chance I will post some photos of how it is built.

Cheers Chris.
                            Last edited by oztruck; 02-05-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• oztruck
                              Commander
                              • May 2010

Because of the amount of weight above the water line it needed a lot of volume in the ballast tank to get it up there and keep it there.

I have used a plastic lunch box for the ballast tank, a bit cheap and nasty but HAY it works.

As you can see I have drilled a hole or two in the lid and placed an inlet pipe into the base of the box.

The spot where the inlet pipe has been installed was heated with a hot air gun and pushed out to form a risen area for the trapped air to run into

When installed the box will be inverted so the inlet pipe will be on the top.

Because of the shape of the hull and the lack of any real money for this project I again went for a cheap and nasty plastic container for the drive module.

I am again using a 2 air pump system to get it to go up and down. One pumps air in and the other pumps air out, it is very controllable

Comment

Working...