Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oztruck
    Commander
    • May 2010

The control linkages and prop shaft are run through the base of the container which is of a good thickness. I have used the "Caswell" push rod seals for the linkages and a stuffing box for the prop shaft. They are all held in place with some silicone tube and epoxy.

The lid of the container holds the 2 air hoses for the remote ballast system.

I am using an old, cut down 9 volt cordless screw driver for the power plant. They have a good motor in them and a strong rotary reduction gear box

The motor/gearbox, receiver, switches for the pumps, ESC, on/off switch, servos and 12 volt LA battery are all sealed inside the container and so far it seems very water tight

This is how I plan to install the 2 plastic containers inside the boats hull

Next step is to trim the boat then detail and paint

Comment

• londondrivingschool

LoLz.. thats crazy talk =D

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Where will you get the air for blowing ballast, through a snorkel or from inside the wtc?
        This seems to be a good application of David's new Semi-aspirated ballast system.
        If with a snorkel only you'll need an awfully long one in case she sinks in deep water.

Maybe you could put the ballast tank off to one side. That way you could make her roll off to one side like a cruise liner. Lol.
        Last edited by redboat219; 02-06-2012, 04:44 AM.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• oztruck
          Commander
          • May 2010

Snorkel, the only way to to get things to come up.:biggrin:

Comment

• oztruck
            Commander
            • May 2010

Redboat219 you edited and changed your question after I responded!.

The idea is to have the stern sticking out of the water just a bit. To me it looks more dramatic than not being able to see it at all. When ever you see photos of a sinking boat they always have something sticking out of the water. The cruise liner is sitting on the rocks, that is why it is on its side. When I get a chance I will post a video of it sinking at our pond.

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by oztruck
              Redboat219 you edited and changed your question after I responded!.
              Hi. Sorry bout that. When I was edited my post you still hadn't posted any reply yet. Check out the time, there's around 7 minutes between our post. What must have happened was I didn't click the save button right away coz I was busy doing something else. Even now I want to edit it coz my phrasing is wrong. Lol!

Anyway, please post pics of the sinking. Too bad you couldn't simulate her being hit by a torpedo.
              Would having a simulated hit ( say a small electrically fired firecracker or a blast of compressed air) out her side also count as illegal?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

**** Brenner, years ago asked me to come with a means of generating a water plume that would render the effect of a close aboard underwater explosion. He had built up a 'sinking' battle-ship that employed one of my WTC's to control, power, and sink it -- just like a submarine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	66418

My partner in crime, Kevin Rimrodt and I produced a servo operated 'firing valve' from a Schrader valve that squired propellant liquid into a firing chamber that contained a small amount of water. The methane-butane, mixing with the warm water, would immediately expand to gas, throwing the water, now pretty much a vapor, high into the air. **** installed our device into the model and uses it to simulate a torpedo hit, at which point he would command the WTC to vent the ballast tank, and down would go his battle-ship. Either through transmitted command, or automatic operation of the fail-safe, the WTC's ballast tank is blown, and up comes ****'s Battle-ship, ready to operate with the fleet again -- risen from the grave.

Name:	DSCN0117.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	66414

The device is set into the hull so that the base of the firing chamber is just below the waterline (a small hole in the side of the firing chamber permits water to enter. All that is needed is a shot of propellant to generate a loud 'Whoosh' sound accompanied by a magnificent plume of water. Kevin demonstrates here. Noet that **** built the deck as an open mesh -- this to permit quick venting of the hull as the WTC floods, dragging the hull to Davy-Jones' Locker.

Name:	DSCN0120.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	66417

****'s battle-ship outfitted with its WTC. Note the many large holes punched through the bottom of the hull to aid in flooding and discharge of water.

Name:	DSCN0127.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	66419

**** at the lake, ready to launch his sinking battle-ship. **** does it all: a frist-class Machinist, Kit producer, contest flyer, Jeweler, etc. And all round, Good-Guy! These shots were taken May, 1995
                Attached Files
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Pablo
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jul 2010

Hi everybody!
                  I do'nt know if it is the right place to post this, fell free to move if necessary.
                  A good friend of mine built 2 models for an animation scenario he presented in a recent regatta.
                  1/ A Robbe U-BOOT TypeVII modified with ballast and torpedo launching.
                  2/ A scratch made cargo boat fitted inside like a sub.
                  Story is supposed to take place in North atlantic ocean in 1941 /1942. Cargo is sailing at low speed when the U-Boot surfaces and fires 2 torpedos.
                  When a torpedo hits the cargo, water spatters upward (pump), the front mast falls down and the cargo begins to sink. When it goes to the bottom, a rowboat remains on-surface.

Inside of the cargo boat

The wreck of the cargo boat

I can't post the pics with direct link because they are too big.

The complete pics set of the regatta :
                  Last edited by Pablo; 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM.
                  My personnal website : http://www.loubet-modelisme.com

Comment

• Aug 2008

Most welcome at this thread. Right on topic. And the level of Craftsmanship ... outstanding. Great stuff.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• oztruck
                      Commander
                      • May 2010

David and Pablo thanks for the input. David that is a great idea using the gas, I wonder if there is a liquid gas that turns to smoke(vapor)when it comes into contact with water. I could then use 2 outlets, one on the side of the sinker and the other inside the hull. With the smoke inside and as the boat sinks the water pressure would push the smoke out of all the openings. It would look great. Luv this hobby.

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Cool Toy!

A battleship and submarine rolled into one. I'm amazed by your ingenuity.

Any other cool stuffs you got hidden in the back of your cave?

Comment

• Pablo
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Jul 2010

Hi!
                          Here are some pics from a 2010 reggatta in Kaiserslautern Germany, the model is a WW1 german battleship.
                          Fitted with ballast it "sinks"

Name:	DSCF1542.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	66428Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1547.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	66429Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1555.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	66430Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1558.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	66431Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1559.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	66432
                          My personnal website : http://www.loubet-modelisme.com

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                            A battleship and submarine rolled into one. I'm amazed by your ingenuity.

Any other cool stuffs you got hidden in the back of your cave?
                            Tons. I did a lot of effects work. Some for movie and TV productions, in the days before CGI

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Didn't you do the effects for Crimson Tide/USS Alabama starring Denzel Washington?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                                Didn't you do the effects for Crimson Tide/USS Alabama starring Denzel Washington?
                                I contributed to the production, yes. I designed and built all the propeller masters and had a hand in the design of the AKULA and torpedoes.

Enough chit-chat, redboat219 .... FINISH THAT DAMNED KILO!!!!

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...