Deck Reinforcement and Detail Work; 1/48 Type VIIC (U-552)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike27283
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Aug 2020

Deck Reinforcement and Detail Work; 1/48 Type VIIC (U-552)

Fellow RC Sub Skippers - soliciting ideas and direction on how best to reinforce the deck of my 1/48 Type VIIC so I can affix detail work without fear of it popping off....

- I've got the WTC, linkages, and running lights all working, bullet-proof and water-tight. Want to move on to detail work now...you can see in the attached photos the current deck is flexing (it is held down to the hull magnetically).
    - I do not want to start working on the detail work until I am sure of the rigidity of the deck (and conning tower attachment to the deck) to ensure the detail work stays affixed, does not flex, and I can remove the deck and conning tower as a solid component.
    - The three photos show the model itself, the detail kit and the deck and conning tower in its current state. The boat is modeled after U-552; any insight on the specific configuration of the boat (pictures if possible) is also welcome to guide my detail work.
    - Any ideas, proven solutions (and pictures!) are welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help! Mike
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

I just read where people building foam airplanes use bamboo skewers to stiffen the assembly.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by mike27283
      Fellow RC Sub Skippers - soliciting ideas and direction on how best to reinforce the deck of my 1/48 Type VIIC so I can affix detail work without fear of it popping off....

- I've got the WTC, linkages, and running lights all working, bullet-proof and water-tight. Want to move on to detail work now...you can see in the attached photos the current deck is flexing (it is held down to the hull magnetically).
      - I do not want to start working on the detail work until I am sure of the rigidity of the deck (and conning tower attachment to the deck) to ensure the detail work stays affixed, does not flex, and I can remove the deck and conning tower as a solid component.
      - The three photos show the model itself, the detail kit and the deck and conning tower in its current state. The boat is modeled after U-552; any insight on the specific configuration of the boat (pictures if possible) is also welcome to guide my detail work.
      - Any ideas, proven solutions (and pictures!) are welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help! Mike
      Can't get it stiff. Welcome to old age, pal.

Run lengths of this carbon rod under the deck, longitudinally. Strong. Like. Bull!

Amazon.com : solid carbon fiber rod

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

This one used brass tubings, carbon rod would be lighter. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240314_062005_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	178801
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• mike27283
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Aug 2020

Scott - thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if bamboo skewers would do the trick here - but good to know.

Dave - maybe my stiffness troubles are due to the length of my deck..? Ha!

But - in all seriousness, I see how you subdivided the decking on your boat - using the carbon fiber mounts internal to the hull, in combination with the underdeck framework Redboat pictured, and subdividing the deck (magnetically mounted) would likely be the fix here. Just need to determine the ideal configuration to spit the deck... Maybe a short area for the conning tower and stbd/port guard rails, and then two separate forward and aft deck segments...?

Comment

• mike27283
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Aug 2020

Update on my Type VIIC U-552 deck reinforcement and detail work.

I've purchased the Trumpeter DKM U-Boat Type VIIIC U-552 kit (06801) and also have the Pontos 'Advanced' Detail Up Set (48001F1) for that kit.

Here's my plan - soliciting feedback, suggestions and perhaps a sanity check...

- Cut the forward and aft deck portions from the 06801 kit separating them from the hull.
            - Affix those deck pieces to carbon fiber rod to create one solid deck to act as the 'lid' to my existing Type-VIIC hull. This will allow removal of the entire deck 'lid' with the conning tower, fan wires, and all detail intact and affixed securely... I can then set the deck aside while accessing the interior of the hull. This will allow removal without having to connect/disconnect fan wires every time, worrying about crunching or breaking the affixed detail work, and provide a firm deck surface to affix detail work so it won't pop or break off.
            - The conning tower will attach to the deck with magnets and the deck to the hull (also with magnets) using crossbeam fiber rods as Fleet Admiral HWSNBN depicted (Sir - yes Sir!).

The deck pieces and sail conning tower halves are of differing materials...would it be wise to cast them in resin before assembly? And if so - would Alumlite RC-3 resin be appropriate for this application?

Since I currently have no plan to use any of the remaining pieces of the 06801 kit maybe somebody on this forum could use those parts?

Looking forward to your feedback - thanks in advance!

Mike Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7165.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	178993 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7169.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	178994 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7168.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.4 KB