X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Foam For Submarine Trimming

I need help with the type foam we use for trimming out our submarines.. I used to purchase it from Nautilus Drydocks, but Bob no longer handles it.

I found this on Amazon. It sure looks like the foam we use. What do you think?

I know you might say just go to your local Home Depot store and buy it. My problem is due to health issues, plus I should not be driving with my poor eye sight. (MD) Would someone please look at this foam I located on amazon, and tell me if it would work or not? It looks very close to the small sample I have left from my inventory.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

looks like what I use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
      Thank you Tom,

The specifications seem to be right on. I am going to go a head and order it up.

Thanks again for your response and expertise Tom!

Rob

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Closed cell and will not absorb water...I use that foam to also build the plugs for my fiberglass hulls...it cuts well with a radial arm saw, table saw, band saw or hotwire foam cutter. It is easily formed with a vertical bench belt sander can be painted with rustoleum non spray paint... Glues well with 3m spray adhesive and can be drilled nicely with a sharpened brass tube... It also is extremely strong when laminated with thin sheet grp and epoxy resin.-BG

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Bob Gato
          Closed cell and will not absorb water...I use that foam to also build the plugs for my fiberglass hulls...it cuts well with a radial arm saw, table saw, band saw or hotwire foam cutter. It is easily formed with a vertical bench belt sander can be painted with rustoleum non spray paint... Glues well with 3m spray adhesive and can be drilled nicely with a sharpened brass tube... It also is extremely strong when laminated with thin sheet grp and epoxy resin.-BG
          Bob,

Thank you very much for that great information. The 212 A that I am building and the EasyDriver for the boat is going to lend itself to being a dynamic diver only, and looking at one of Bob M. build on that boat there was quite a bit of foam installed in the top sections of the boat.

We will see when that time comes. Thanks again Bob, always appreciate your input.

Rob

Comment

• wlambing
            Commander
            • Nov 2020

Midwest Hobbies used to have a nice, white, closed-cell foam in sheets (pkg of 3), about 1' X 3' X 3/8". Very easy to cut, and great for those hulls with limited annular space. The late Dave Welch made excellent use of this foam in his Gato fleetboat endeavors. Might still be available through a website or hobby shop.

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
              Midwest Hobbies used to have a nice, white, closed-cell foam in sheets (pkg of 3), about 1' X 3' X 3/8". Very easy to cut, and great for those hulls with limited annular space. The late Dave Welch made excellent use of this foam in his Gato fleetboat endeavors. Might still be available through a website or hobby shop.
              Thanks wlambing,

I found this very foam that Tom lead me to on Amazon 18" X 12" X 3"

I just did not need a 4' X 8' sheet of it..

Thanks to all of you that responded. As always the answers are on this forum...

Rob
              Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

Working...