• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Would this be of use in our field?

Just saw this,
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Interesting.

For those not interested in investing the 7mins to watch the video, the builder used a series of magnets to create a magnetic clutch in a driveshaft.

My take is that it would work, but I don't know that it would work well in our application. We're putting a lot more torque through the shaft than that little RC car had. We typically have a lot more room to work with, leaving more options for gearboxes and gear reduction, larger motors, etc. which would be better solutions.

Still... very unique solution to his problem. He talked about using magnets as a shock absorber as well. That's a really cool idea, too!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Didn't watch it, but isn't Tom already doing this? He may already have worked it out, or destroyed a neighborhood with an artificial Magnetar.
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Still playing with magnets......I am open to anyone making it work and improve.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

I have experimented with magnetic couplers. My design looked like a revolver spindle. Alternating positive and negative polarity around the spindle. I also made the coupler extra deep so I could stack magnets to get the proper hold with an 1/8" plex wall. Worked well with a clutching effect if running into weeds or fishing line. Never found a model to use it in though.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Yeah, I beenere and dunnit, too, but this solution from the video was pretty unique as the magnets formed part of the driveshaft directly.

Comment

• Schmitty1944
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2021

Magnetic couplers in a high torque drive train are always going to be a major weak point. Nothing beats a direct solid connection and in the case of a submerged connection a well engineered seal.

Jason

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Schmitty1944
                Magnetic couplers in a high torque drive train are always going to be a major weak point. Nothing beats a direct solid connection and in the case of a submerged connection a well engineered seal.

Jason
                You missed the whole point. The idea is to create a pre-engineered and intentional weak point. In the video, he wanted a controlled slippage, like a clutch. In our application, a slipping shaft could be very useful to protect the motor and shaft in the case of a fouled prop. Better to slip a few notches in a magnetic drivetrain than overheat a motor or snap a dogbone or universal joint.

Comment

• Schmitty1944
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Mar 2021

I understand. I was thinking the major advantage for us would be no seal to worry about leaks. I'm not so sure about a purposely slip-able link in the drive train. Even modern automotive automatics have a TCC (torque converter clutch) to lock the drive train without slippage. Why? because it's more efficient. It does have potential but I can't say I've ever had a sub (or any boat) where this would have been helpful.

Jason

Comment

Working...