X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biggsgolf
    Captain
    • Jan 2020

Thinking Outside the Box

So, I have this vision where similar to planning a Drone mission, what if an RC Sub could be programmed possibly with an SD card to carry out a mission below surface thus not needing Radio Signal reception? One could drive the boat on surface then engage the mission, understanding it could not rely on GPS. Just been thinking, lol
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by biggsgolf
    So, I have this vision where similar to planning a Drone mission, what if an RC Sub could be programmed possibly with an SD card to carry out a mission below surface thus not needing Radio Signal reception? One could drive the boat on surface then engage the mission, understanding it could not rely on GPS. Just been thinking, lol
    Think analog mechanics:

ITC Electric Powered Diving Submarine Halibut a 1 200 for sale online | eBay

itc halibut toy submarine - Search Images (bing.com)

ITC 1/175 Halibut SSGN 587 Cam-A-Matic Submarine - (Electric Powered Diving Motorized Regulus Sub), 3660-998 (oldmodelkits.com)

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

About 15 years back, I built a plane called the "Firebird".

Click image for larger version

Name:	FIRE FLY 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	176970

Name:	FIRE FLY 5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	176971 Click image for larger version

Name:	FIRE FLY 4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	176972

It was designed to take off vertically and then transition to horizontal flight. The incorporated software was specifically designed to fly pre-assigned waypoints.

I never did get my plane to that juncture, but I did fly it vertically and horizontal flight using the GPS system to bring it back to its starting point.

The video below was when I was testing out the vertical takeoff and landing process.
      Video link
      https://youtu.be/7VQLcWcUUPo

For those of you that are more prone to doing the necessary electronics and software programming, I see no reason why waypoint could not be used in submarines..

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
        About 15 years back, I built a plane called the "Firebird".

Name:	FIRE FLY 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	176970

Name:	FIRE FLY 5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	176971 Click image for larger version

Name:	FIRE FLY 4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	176972

It was designed to take off vertically and then transition to horizontal flight. The incorporated software was specifically designed to fly pre-assigned waypoints.

I never did get my plane to that juncture, but I did fly it vertically and horizontal flight using the GPS system to bring it back to its starting point.

The video below was when I was testing out the vertical takeoff and landing process.
        Video link
        https://youtu.be/7VQLcWcUUPo

For those of you that are more prone to doing the necessary electronics and software programming, I see no reason why waypoint could not be used in submarines..

Rob
        THAT! is slicker than snot! You don't see many tri-copters these days. And that's 15-year-old tech. But soon the AMA-FAA goons will shut it all down. Enjoy your liberties while you can, gang.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
          Captain
          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

THAT! is slicker than snot! You don't see many tri-copters these days. And that's 15-year-old tech. But soon the AMA-FAA goons will shut it all down. Enjoy your liberties while you can, gang.
          I second that!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

I hesitate to jump in head-first into this, as techie a guy as I want to be. I like to be hands on when I drive my subs. I don't really see the point in diving, pressing a button and letting the boat have all the fun. There is a definite advantage, but it pulls the fun out of things.

I might use it in certain applications or circumstances, but for the most part, I'd love to keep the operations "hands on".

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
              I hesitate to jump in head-first into this, as techie a guy as I want to be. I like to be hands on when I drive my subs. I don't really see the point in diving, pressing a button and letting the boat have all the fun. There is a definite advantage, but it pulls the fun out of things.

I might use it in certain applications or circumstances, but for the most part, I'd love to keep the operations "hands on".
              I agree with you Bob! I am more of a hands on when it comes to submarines and my flying, when I was into that aspect of the hobby. But just to make it happen (designing and building) and then to see this concept in action can be very rewarding as well. Its like the new 900 radio systems that you and Ed are experimenting with and actually making it work.

Rob

Comment

• biggsgolf
                Captain
                • Jan 2020

Originally posted by RCSubGuy

I hear you Bob, I am the same way, even with driving a Tesla, I like being in control, yet since at this point I only drive my subs in my salt water pool, I would like the ability to have it run and stay below Periscope Depth on occasion. Not sure if this makes any sense? lol

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

How many kilos are we talking about here?
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Marylandradiosailor
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Nov 2021

Rob, that plane is really awesome!!!!

Biggs, I'm in the middle of developing a sub with a control system that will have many self-guidance and auto control features that I'll share in a log this spring (once I get done beating my head against the wall and get things figured out a bit more), it could be used with a program like Qgroundcontrol to do what you describe but I don't really want to do the complete send it off on a mission thing, just have the sub take "captains orders" diving/surfacing/tracking/etc.

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

I’m waiting for the rest of your Type XXIII build.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• biggsgolf
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Marylandradiosailor
                        Rob, that plane is really awesome!!!!

Biggs, I'm in the middle of developing a sub with a control system that will have many self-guidance and auto control features that I'll share in a log this spring (once I get done beating my head against the wall and get things figured out a bit more), it could be used with a program like Qgroundcontrol to do what you describe but I don't really want to do the complete send it off on a mission thing, just have the sub take "captains orders" diving/surfacing/tracking/etc.
                        I will be waiting and most interested!

Comment

• biggsgolf
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Das Boot
                          I’m waiting for the rest of your Type XXIII build.
                          Thanks Casey, the weathering has been a huge challenge for me. I have ordered the Cylinder from Bob and Jason. I hope to post again soon. Have you started your XXIII?

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Thanks Casey, the weathering has been a huge challenge for me. I have ordered the Cylinder from Bob and Jason. I hope to post again soon. Have you started your XXIII?
                            Not yet. Holidays and doctor visits have taken my time. I did throw together a 1/350 Seaview just for fun.
                            Attached Files
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...