Okay, Color is Better to VTVOS 4 Window Seaview?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Okay, Color is Better to VTVOS 4 Window Seaview?

Anyone? No BS.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

What the heck are you talking about, Casey? Are you drunk?

Comment

• Alucard
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2023

If you are saying it is better in the color episodes, yes color adds to it.

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
        What the heck are you talking about, Casey? Are you drunk?
        Bob, it’s called stupid voice recognition that doesn’t work.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

The question was when they changed from eight window to four window, was the color of the Seaview changed also? I know the four window episodes were in color, and the eight window were black and white, but I’m just wondering if the color was changed between the seasons to account for now being in color. A secondary question is why they did away with the deadlights on the sail? Most US submarines, if not all, had deadlight windows on the sail, so why did they do away with them on the Seaview? I’m sure our holy leader Merriman might know the answer to the question.

Comment

• Alucard
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Aug 2023

Now I understand, I think the color is a little different between the Movie and TV sub's and yes, I know they used the 8 window one on TV as well as the 4 window one. Good question about the deadlights.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
              The question was when they changed from eight window to four window, was the color of the Seaview changed also? I know the four window episodes were in color, and the eight window were black and white, but I’m just wondering if the color was changed between the seasons to account for now being in color. A secondary question is why they did away with the deadlights on the sail? Most US submarines, if not all, had deadlight windows on the sail, so why did they do away with them on the Seaview? I’m sure our holy leader Merriman might know the answer to the question.
              The significant structural differences between the 17-footer as it was for the movie and as it was reconfigured for the TV show was the entire replacement of the bow and (very likely) the sail. Artifacts leading to that conclusion is the existence of a butt-joint backed up by a doubler plate of GRP matt at the bow graft line between new bow and hull; and the nonexistence of any internal indication of a back-fill to obliterate the deadlight openings at the leading edge of the sail.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

That last photo, on the cover of T. Sturgeon"s Novelization?

I remember Ray Mason discussing in the 90's.
                He wanted to convert one of your SKIPJACK hulls to mimic it if memory serves. If it could be done, Ray could do it!

Ray...do IT!!!
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
                  Ray...do IT!!!
                  ...and BTW, he still OWE'S us an ATRAGON!!
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                  NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                  USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
                    That last photo, on the cover of T. Sturgeon"s Novelization?

I remember Ray Mason discussing in the 90's.
                    He wanted to convert one of your SKIPJACK hulls to mimic it if memory serves. If it could be done, Ray could do it!

Ray...do IT!!!
                    Ray and I have been torturing each other over threats of starting that project for nearly two decades now. God Damnit, Ray... I'm waiting on you to slam that gauntlet into my puss. I double-dog dare ya!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Dave, where are the limber holes on the back of the starboard side? The port side has front and rear, but the starboard side only has front. Is that because the Seaview was never photographed on that side?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
                        Dave, where are the limber holes on the back of the starboard side? The port side has front and rear, but the starboard side only has front. Is that because the Seaview was never photographed on that side?
                        That's right. If they needed imagery of the non-filming side -- the demands of the storyboard dictating left-to-right, right-to-left -- then the Editor would flop the burning print to the copy print.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0479.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	176578
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0476.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	176579
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Alucard
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Aug 2023

Wow, they should have just added the holes on both sides but flipping the print around is a good second choice, I would never have thought of that.

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Nope, this was from the 1st season opening. No vents starboard.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

Just watched the black and white episodes. The opening clearly shows the no vent side.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...