Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • type7
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2009

I mark a line, build up tape on each side leaving a space the width of a zona saw. Pull the saw only and let it cut slowly. Not difficult at all might take maybe an hour or so.

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

This is the model shown by the OP: Amazon.com: phrozen Sonic Saber Cutter - The Ultrasonic Cutter, Refine Your Prints with Ultrasonic Cutter : Industrial & Scientific

Comment

• Albacore 569
        Commander
        • Sep 2020

Seems a waste of money. Unless you have a broken wrist or something? Can you kill flies with it? LOL.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3Crq1JC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	176051

Comment

• Albacore 569
          Commander
          • Sep 2020

Useful simple technique here cutting PVC pipe straight & true. No need for a ultra sonic knife handed down to you by space aliens, (like pyramids must have been ancient aliens helping our puny primate brains) Just use your head. Remember?

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Vertical cut is a heck of a lot different than the horizontal for a long space, such as the Bronco XXIII.
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I think Bob used this one- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasonic-.../dp/B07GPJVHSK

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Subculture
                Looks like the same one that I got, but I got mine from Micromark at the recent IPMS show. I think they had a show special at $300.

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

That's quite an investment for a tool that may only have one purpose.

Might be worthwhile if you're planning on doing a bunch of cuts, but for the average modeller who might make one or two boats, I would be inclined to just use a razor saw, perhaps with a bit of soap which will help reduce friction, and just take it slow.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                    That's quite an investment for a tool that may only have one purpose.

Might be worthwhile if you're planning on doing a bunch of cuts, but for the average modeller who might make one or two boats, I would be inclined to just use a razor saw, perhaps with a bit of soap which will help reduce friction, and just take it slow.
                    I'm with Andy here. No one does more cutting, hacking and slashing than me -- and I would not spring for this whiz-bang-nuclear powered-death wielding-industrial strength-lightsaber. A stupid investment. Just too many means already at hand to separate one piece from another.

You guys just concentrate on getting the basic tools and techniques down. Sweat the exotic stuff if... and when... you develop an actual need for it!

David
                    Grounded, and damn proud of it!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albacore 569
                      Commander
                      • Sep 2020

Thanks Subculture. I like the idea f a bit of soap to reduce friction and potentially a smoother cut further still. Couldn't hurt.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

Mock the knife all you want. I use it (nearly) daily. A useful tool.

Yes, you can make do with other tools, but it's like milling a slot by hand versus using a milling machine. Both processes work. One is easier, but more expensive.

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Not mocking it, you're doing this gig for a living, so time is money. Most are just hobbyists, and they have so much to spend on that hobby and admittedly some are more flush than others.

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                            Mock the knife all you want. I use it (nearly) daily. A useful tool.

Yes, you can make do with other tools, but it's like milling a slot by hand versus using a milling machine. Both processes work. One is easier, but more expensive.
                            Waiting for the video.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              • Aug 2009

Been up for a month in my weekly update videos.

Comment

• Das Boot
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                                Been up for a month in my weekly update videos.

https://youtu.be/FhtX3qmHm4M?si=mSuZ6fgOCNKd7P1s&t=2103
                                I guess I missed that part, Mr. Perfect.

Comment

Working...